What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

Yeah... my Playstation is about to bite the dust but I don't have the cash to get a new one (and I do know that they are inexpensive nowadays but I live on disability checks... very limited funds...)

I also need a small freezer. My wallet will have to get extra tight for awhile :crazy:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Thank you for your interest, but I am afraid that your GPA fall's well bellow the minimum required for admission to our graduate program."

Says the Professor who doesn't know the difference between falls and fall's or below and bellow. F**k my life.

"Thank you for your interest, but I am afraid that your GPA fall's well bellow the minimum required for admission to our graduate program."

a professor wrote that? Please please please mark it up in red ink and send it back.

Says the Professor who doesn't know the difference between falls and fall's or below and bellow. F**k my life.

I wouldn't stress it, TimLizzy. If that's how the professor writes then you don't want to have your IQ lowered by being there. I think my IQ dropped a dozen points after reading that... :doh:

You should thoroughly circulate that on the internet, and make sure the school and that old b*stard's name are on it. What a putz!

and if you don't want to do that and you happen to throw it in the "trash," I bet I know someone who would grab it and circulate it for you. :grin:

You should thoroughly circulate that on the internet, and make sure the school and that old b*stard's name are on it. What a putz!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

3 corrections Sammy:

1. No comma after "internet" because you're using "and"

2. *b*stards (no apostrophe)

3. "is on it" and not "are on it"

:wink: :jester: :laughing:

Then you're wrong on all three counts.

1. The comma is there because it is a compound sentence. The comma sets off the new sentence.

2. The apostrophe means it is a possessive tense (the old b*stard's name).

And three....eh, I forgot what the hell you said already, but it was grammatically correct.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsdown:

Actually Sammy, you DON'T need a comma in that sentence because the clause after the conjunction is not a complete sentence. For example:

I am going to the store and also heading to the post office.

vs.

I am going to the store, and I will then head to the post office.

You only use a comma to separate the two clauses if both clauses can stand on their own as complete sentences.

Also, Sammy was correct in using "are" rather than "is" as the verb tense. If he'd said "the school or the name" it would be "is", but the usage of "and" pluralizes the subject, so you need to pluralize the verb.

/end grammar pedant

Actually Sammy, you DON'T need a comma in that sentence because the clause after the conjunction is not a complete sentence. For example:

I am going to the store and also heading to the post office.

vs.

I am going to the store, and I will then head to the post office.

You only use a comma to separate the two clauses if both clauses can stand on their own as complete sentences.

Also, Sammy was correct in using "are" rather than "is" as the verb tense. If he'd said "the school or the name" it would be "is", but the usage of "and" pluralizes the subject, so you need to pluralize the verb.

/end grammar pedant

ACTUALLY, the comma in the sentence is correct. They ARE two separate stand-alone sentences. "and (you) make sure the school..." You (understood) is the subject; make is the verb.

"You know not to come up against me, Reggie...'cause you'll lose." ~~ Albert Ganz

:afro: :afro: :afro: :D

You don't need to use a comma because the clause following the conjunction is an imperative statement (an order, basically). For example:

"When I get home from work, the dishes better be done and don't tell me you did them when you didn't."

Also, being the grammar pedant than I am, I decided to look up the rule about commas before imperatives and discovered that there is pretty wide-ranging debate on whether it's correct to put one before the conjunction or not. Most have said though, it's not necessary, since the clauses are short and not open to misinterpretation due to lack of punctuation. According to this website, with an .edu at the end (which gives it a bit more gravitas), this was their response to the question:

The first example from Gregg uses the conjunctive phrase "and then," which is a bit more heavy duty than a simple "and"; this explains why the comma is definitely needed in that sentence. The second sentence falls into that category of two independent clauses that are long and complex enough to warrant the use of the comma. I believe that would apply, also, to your sentence (about switching to HTML). In compound imperatives with brief, nicely balanced clauses, the comma can safely be omitted: "Open the faucet and flush out the drains." I realize that this turns the practice into a judgment call (what constitutes brief and nicely balanced?), but the sample sentences from GRM are good examples of well used commas.

Your sentence appears to fit the bill for NOT using the comma before the conjunction.

Eh, judgment call. It's how I was taught many, many, many years ago. With all this texting crap going on these days, kids don't need to use proper grammar or spelling anyway. That's why I probably shouldn't have called that professor an "old b*stard". He's probably 10 years younger than I. ....(go ahead, dispute it!).

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup:

"When I get home from work, the dishes better be done and don't tell me you did them when you didn't."

I'm a professional writer and there's no way in hell that I could quote any rules or even the parts of a sentence. :crazy:

But somehow this one looks wrong to me. Shouldn't it be "When I get home from the work the dishes better be done, and don't tell me you did them when you didn't." Because the comma the way it was used in the example appears to be a comma splice. Or maybe I'm just missing something in the general conversation that's happening.

I accept whatever you all say. :grin:

At any rate, I ran across this blog the other night by one of my newest all-time favorite writers, Patrick Rothfuss, and it's all about punctuation. It is definitely worthy of a read... but only if you have a good sense of humor. :grin:

Patrick Rothfuss blog

scroll down to the April 7, 2013 entry.

(Of anybody, I thought Sammy would get the biggest kick out of this. In fact, Sammy might be using "Patrick Rothfuss" as a pen name, for all I know.) :laughing:

I'm a professional writer and there's no way in hell that I could quote any rules or even the parts of a sentence. :crazy:

But somehow this one looks wrong to me. Shouldn't it be "When I get home from the work the dishes better be done, and don't tell me you did them when you didn't." Because the comma the way it was used in the example appears to be a comma splice. Or maybe I'm just missing something in the general conversation that's happening.

The comma is used in that sentence as a natural pause that one would take while speaking, not to separate clauses or items in a list. Say the sentence out loud; if you don't pause after "work", it sounds like you're speaking without taking a breath.

I had all these rules drilled into me in grammar school, high school, then college....so now it's all rote memory. Subjects, predicates, split infinitives, prepositional clauses, imperatives....it's all totally useless information, but I've still retained it.

My version:

"When I get home from work, the dishes had better be done. Don't tell me you did them because you didn't." :sing1: