What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

Yeah... Whoever it was never even stopped. At 48, I've never been in a fistfight or broken a bone. I had my bell rang thoroughly. Clearly remember my head (thank God for a now bashed up helmet) hitting the road and seeing the far side of the ditch coming up, fast. No fear, no sorrow, no regrets, just cooly, almost detached thinking, "well, this is it, I'm dead. Hope it doesn't hurt.." Breaking a collar bone hurts like *hell*.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No witnesses? OMG! I wonder if she even knew what she did! I had someone cut over in front of me today without using a blinker, so close he almost clipped the front of my car. Never even looked, doubt he knew I was there. I'm blown away by people who are so unaware of their surroundings when they're behind the wheel of a vehicle.

I've heard about those collar bone breaks. I feel for you.

I broke my leg in a bike accident back in '99. Front wheel of my bike clipped the corner of a square cut-out in the sidewalk and pitched me over the handlebars. My left tibia broke in a herringbone pattern right below the kneecap and caused said kneecap to depress below the bone, and I needed a plate and six screws to hold everything in proper alignment so that I could walk again.

The funny thing is, it didn't hurt. I felt absolutely no pain in the leg at all, even when lying on the sidewalk in a crumpled heap. My arm hurt, but that's because I fell on it - though nothing broke. My orthopedic surgeon thought it was amazing that I had this really severe break, and it didn't hurt me. What's hysterical about it is that I have a low pain tolerance and a paper cut causes me to tear up. Maybe I was just in so much shock that it didn't register in my head.

Now, after surgery......WHOLE other story. I was ever, ever, EVER so grateful for that morphine drip, let me tell you.

• 2 months later...

I can't believe this shooting that happened in Phoenix today, and all for a mortgage payment. My room mate works in the building, it had me in panic for an hour. Glad she's alright at least. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, hopefully nobody dies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:thumbsdown: Boooooo to Mariah Carey for saying props to Nilsson for writing that great

song "Without You"....Peter Ham and Tom Evans of BADFINGER wrote that great song...Nilsson did do a nice cover of it, but did not write it....get your facts straight Mariah...Okay, now that I've vented I'm Okay now...

:thumbsdown: Boooooo to Mariah Carey for saying props to Nilsson for writing that great

song "Without You"....Peter Ham and Tom Evans of BADFINGER wrote that great song...Nilsson did do a nice cover of it, but did not write it....get your facts straight Mariah...Okay, now that I've vented I'm Okay now...

How dare she?? Just for that I give her the BADFINGER! :rockon:

Actually, I never liked her so I'll give her 2... :laughing:

To be fair, Nilsson's version is the best. And I'm pretty surprised that Mariah Carey even knows who Nilsson is.

That's kind of silly. When she initially recorded the song in 1993, she said several times that growing up she loved the song, and that's what inspired her to do her own version of the song.

It's sad how many people don't know who wrote a great song. I interviewed a songwriter ( Skip Ewing - here) a while back who'd written some 20 No. 1 hits at that time. He told a story about how he was watching a talk show one day and the guest on it was a mother whose son was killed in a motorcycle accident. The mother said that he'd loved this song "Love Me" by Collin Raye so much that she'd had the lyric put on his headstone with Collin Raye credited for it. But it had been written by Skip. And while Skip loved that the son had loved his song so much, he was a little surprised that he hadn't been the one credited (but very gracious about it and touched that it had even happened ~ very nice guy).

That kind of stuff happens more often than anybody would ever think... even with famous people.

I have an incredibly weak spot for Air Supply despite how embarrassing that may be.

Their one song that got me was "All Out of Love." I had that on a tape in my car (back in the day) and used to rewind it like crazy and listen over and over and over.

Somewhat understandable simply because Harry Nilsson was such a well-respected and prolific songwriter, we just expect any song he records to have been his composition. It is not as if he were a Joe Cocker or Elvis type of singer who routinely interprets the original work of others. Nilsson is probably more often thought a part of the pantheon of singer/songwriters like Harry Chapin, Cat Stevens or Jim Croce, whose recordings of the works of others are more the extreme exception within their body of work.

All that said, one would think she would have done a bit more in depth research into a song she loves enough to record. Maybe that is her manager's job. She's is a superstar, after all. (clears throat)

Most of Nilsson's albums do have at least a few covers, though. And he did do an entire album of Randy Newman covers. And I'm pretty sure he did at least one album of standards.

But of course... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Touch_of_Schmilsson_in_the_Night

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you, Zabadak, we just spent a bunch for a new garage door, and I just spent $400 on my car (which has 196,000 miles on it). Now our dryer's been acting up, so I am crossing my fingers that it will hang on because we can't afford any more fixes for a while.