What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking as a reasonably sane Christian, not all Christians are bad. I can't stand the people who shove their beliefs in other peoples faces be they Christian, Muslim or Pastafarian. The Christians who do it obviously haven't paid attention to the Bible. I'm always up for a reasonable, civil religious discussion, but I can't stand people who just shout and get angry at people.

If you shove a cross down someones throat, all they're going to do is choke.

Pink, the Christians who pissed you off are the exact ones that piss me off too. We're not all crazy. Some of us realize that not everyone shares our beliefs and are more than happy to respect that. It's just unfortunate that there are so many people who feel the need to be so abrasive. It's just wrong.

Oh, I understand that Rocky....one of my closest friends is a Baptist whose father is a minister and was a chaplain in the Army. I have nothing against Christians in general, or religious people of any stripe.

On the flip side, I don't like atheists/agnostics who feel the need to constantly shove THAT down peoples' throats, either. Religious belief, or the lack thereof, should be a private matter. I only mentioned what I felt here to explain in part, why I got rid of Facebook. Ordinarily, I don't mention it because I don't like calling attention to it. A lot of that has to do with what Tim said above, and also because it really isn't anyone's business.

on another note:

WARNING: Do not buy anything from DEALFIND, which is a Groupon-like company. I purchased something from them, tried to redeem the voucher, the merchant didn't respond to my e-mail nor my phone calls, Dealfind hasn't responded to my e-mail or phone call, and my bank tells me Visa won't refund my money because the window for filing a dispute is 60 days and today is day 68. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I went to the premiere Catholic university in the country. It was fun! Some people almost could put together a logical argument for the existence of God. Almost.

There is nothing logical about believing in imaginary characters. Just replace "God" with "unicorns" and "leprechauns," and I'm sure they could also come up with "logical" arguments for their existence.

Show an instance where energy was created and destroyed. All the "logical arguments" couldn't put this evidence before us :beatnik:

Replace your "energy" with "unicorns" and your science is looking somewhat mythical.

It's about beliefs and no one can change the fact that religious beliefs have been around far longer than scientific exploration.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but facts are facts, and as far as science is concerned, commonly accepted truths are just that. There was a time when it was considered heresy to say the earth revolved around the sun, rather than saying the sun revolved around the earth. Or that we evolved from apes, instead of from Adam and Eve. Or that the earth is only 6,000 years old. Science has proven all of those things false.

I firmly believe that the idea of God, or whatever the deity in that faith is called, was created by humanity to explain what they didn't understand. I see no need for that anymore, now that we have ways of understanding and explaining things that we don't know.

BTW, science as a concept as been around a lot longer than you think.

Replace your "energy" with "unicorns" and your science is looking somewhat mythical.

It's about beliefs and no one can change the fact that religious beliefs have been around far longer than scientific exploration.

That doesn't make any sense since energy exists. And from the early times of hunters and gatherers, those who experimented with fire, weapons, and wheels possessed scientific minds. Those events they could not explain, they attributed to some magical invisible being(s) in the sky to appease their simple, neanderthal minds. Of course, as the collective mind of man evolved, some of those events could be explained by scientific experiments.

I mean, if it were up to some high-fallutin' church, some'd still believe the earth was flat, burn women as witches, and use their holy book to rationalise enslaving others and forcing them to convert under threat of death. It really is just another tool to empower a few people and keep the rest stupid and obedient :beatnik:

I agree with both of you that humans have been accomplishing great scientific feats for as long as they've been believing in Higher Powers. I also agree that they couldn't explain these accomplishments so they gave credit to God, Allah, Zeus or whoever else seemed a worthy diety to have "blessed" them with these gifts.

I just wanted to point out that religious beliefs are not going to go away overnight and believe it or not, they use the same argument I used. Watch some of those right-wing pundits on those talk shows and it's funny how they praise the Lord in one phrase but then want to kill everyone in the next! :laughing:

I haven't read any of this because all I see is the standard "atheist" argument against Christianity, which leads me to believe all atheists come from Christianity.

I quite like my religion. Never set foot in a temple, don't practice it, but that's exactly why I like it so much. It just wants me to be a good person and I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm not religious but I like religions. There's a lot to learn from most of them. Sikhism and Zoroastrianism are my favourite, along with my own.

Anyway, having lived in a country with 7 different religions, and in another with just 1, I can say with some certainty that the country with just 1 has little idea what religion is.

Most 'atheist' arguments are v. narrow minded and consider only the Abrahamic, monotheistic religions where 'god' is made in man's own image or whatever. Haven't yet seen an argument that applies to the ones I live with.

I haven't read any of this because all I see is the standard "atheist" argument against Christianity, which leads me to believe all atheists come from Christianity.

Of all the atheists I know, myself included, I'm the only one who used to belong to a Christian denomination. I was Catholic. I haven't been for well over a decade.

I quite like my religion. Never set foot in a temple, don't practice it, but that's exactly why I like it so much. It just wants me to be a good person and I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't need a religion, no matter if we're talking Abrahamic or eastern, to tell me to be a good person. I do that of my own volition. So one can very much live a peaceful, do-good-to-others life, without a religious backdrop.

I'm not religious but I like religions. There's a lot to learn from most of them. Sikhism and Zoroastrianism are my favourite, along with my own.

I've read the Bible, the Torah, the Qu'ran, and the Bhagavad Gita. I read them as works of literature, not religious canon/dogma. I found them interesting. I read extensively about a lot of things. Just because I don't believe in God doesn't mean I don't think things can be gleamed from what other people choose to believe.

Anyway, having lived in a country with 7 different religions, and in another with just 1, I can say with some certainty that the country with just 1 has little idea what religion is.

Surely you don't mean the United States, as we have more than one religion here, no matter what some whackadoodle members of our government might lead you to think.

Most 'atheist' arguments are v. narrow minded and consider only the Abrahamic, monotheistic religions where 'god' is made in man's own image or whatever. Haven't yet seen an argument that applies to the ones I live with.

What atheist arguments are narrow-minded, in your opinion? What arguments are you looking for or haven't seen, that apply to eastern religions?

I would only refer to myself as an "atheist" to make things simple for simpleminded folk, although I don't believe in any notion of a creator, mystical beings, or God(s) that dispenses justice amongst men, so that does fit the definition of an "atheist." Still, I'd much rather refer to myself as an "animist" :beatnik: