What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

It's a gorgeous day here in Phoenix. So I've got the doors open to allow the fresh air, thinking that perhaps the godawful stench of the next-door neighbor's steaming abhorrent radically unpleasing manure he's spread across his nasty lawn would have dissipated somewhat since Saturday, when he dumped it there. Not so.

I want to shove some of it in his a/c vents so he can enjoy it in his own olfactory senses all summer, since he and his wife conveniently work all day away from the house, and I work at home and get to continuously inhale it. It's so potent it's palpable.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must say that for as expensive as gasoline is in Brazil (about $1.30/liter), it has never varied more than 5 cents up or down, holidays or normal days - summer or winter, throughout the entirety of almost 8 years I have lived here. Very stable - albeit pricey - cost, likely due to fuel being a government monopoly and tightly controlled. (If the government wanted people to stop moving around, it could immediately cut the flow to fuel distribution.)

Ethanol is half the price of gasoline, as is natural gas (propane.) All cars built in Brazil since 2009 must have "flex" type engine ratings, meaning they are able to burn any of the 3 fuel sources cited above; and all available at most gas stations (propane the less widely available.)

Diesel fuel is as expensive as gasoline, being a uniquely processed fuel for a uniquely adapted engine type.

• 3 weeks later...

after having not slept well the night before, I got to bed late last night and was sleeping very soundly this morning when, at 7:30 a.m., the idiot next door (same guy that spread the manure a month ago, stinking up the entire neighborhood) fired up his lawnmower right underneath our window (it sounded like), forcing me to call him a very unflattering name and wish I had a semi-automatic handy with which I could render his skull into powder.

Jeff tells me he does this every other Saturday this time of year. If this is what it's like living in the 'burbs, take me back to my condo. :mad: :mad:

after having not slept well the night before, I got to bed late last night and was sleeping very soundly this morning when, at 7:30 a.m., the idiot next door (same guy that spread the manure a month ago, stinking up the entire neighborhood) fired up his lawnmower right underneath our window (it sounded like), forcing me to call him a very unflattering name and wish I had a semi-automatic handy with which I could render his skull into powder.

Jeff tells me he does this every other Saturday this time of year. If this is what it's like living in the 'burbs, take me back to my condo. :mad: :mad:

Right now, there are a few neighbours that evoke that same feeling outta me: the first group live at the front of the block and they either sit on the front porch all day or they're in front of the garage revving up a motorcycle engine and a dune buggy engine... all. freakin'. day. aaaaaaall. freakin'. day. The other is a couple who recently moved in right next door. I could aready tell by the kind of crappy/clunker automobile they drove, they'd make things suck at the on-set. They also own a dog, so that's already really bad (I hate dogs). I swear, I think they're cheech 'n chong! Hahaha. The reason for choosing this place was to avoid these people in the city!

Just gotta breathe deep and ignore them :beatnik:

These same people also have dogs! They bark ALL DAY when these idiots are at work - or just whenever they're not home. They wake Jeff up every morning and he gets more and more pissed every day. A couple of days ago he wrote them a letter and stuck it in their mailbox. The night before the lawnmower incident, the guy had picked up his mail at around midnight (my kid saw him, which is how I know) and stood on his porch reading the letter. I figure he did the lawnmower thing in retaliation. They still haven't come over to talk about the letter/dogs. And it was actually a very nicely worded letter.

They are both hugely overweight and smoke like chimneys, so we figure they won't be around much longer anyway. :beady:

These same people also have dogs! They bark ALL DAY when these idiots are at work - or just whenever they're not home. They wake Jeff up every morning and he gets more and more pissed every day. A couple of days ago he wrote them a letter and stuck it in their mailbox. The night before the lawnmower incident, the guy had picked up his mail at around midnight (my kid saw him, which is how I know) and stood on his porch reading the letter. I figure he did the lawnmower thing in retaliation. They still haven't come over to talk about the letter/dogs. And it was actually a very nicely worded letter.

They are both hugely overweight and smoke like chimneys, so we figure they won't be around much longer anyway. :beady:

This couple also smoke... but they're not cigarettes. The place is starting to look like a ghetto :beatnik:

Just because you don't pay attention to it and choose to ignore it, don't suggest that I should do the same.

The quote box is an active part of this site and I'd like to see a rotating variety of quotes, not the same four for over a year now.

I think the simpler solution is to get rid of it... as well as the shoutbox.

At one time those features were used often and everybody cared about them, but I think they've both gone unnoticed and/or left unattended for too long. JMHO, but I feel the novelty of those features have worn off :crazy:

I just don't think it's that big of a deal. There's so many other facets to this site that are far more interesting, why get annoyed at something like that? I'm with Rayzor; just get rid of it if it's not being updated. I don't think the site will suffer greatly without it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because you don't pay attention to it and choose to ignore it, don't suggest that I should do the same.

The quote box is an active part of this site and I'd like to see a rotating variety of quotes, not the same four for over a year now.

Looks like somebody listened to the squeaky wheel, Brad! I see "Welcome To The Jungle" up in the quote box. It's now a 5 song rotation! :laughing:

:thumbsup: :rockon:

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be able to find a fitting Roger lyric for everything. Here's where I'm at today:

"So the big old guy, he punches me in the nose

and I falls on my back and I gets blood on my clothes

and he says, 'Hey, skinny white boy, what do you think about that?'

and I says, 'That doesn't change much, I still don't think that much of your... girlfriend.'"

Very metaphorically apropos to what's happening in my little corner of life at the moment.

After 35 years , the NPR radio program 'Car Talk ' will end this September. For those of you who are fans , you know what a disappointment this is .For those who haven't heard it , it's a program where guests call in with their auto problems to two brothers from Boston ( mechanics , but also curiously M.I.T educated ). It's a hilarious show with these guys having a great self-deprecating humor , always laughing, and teasing each other along with their guests . I'm gonna miss this show .

Reruns ( or rather reproduced shows ) are planned in the time slot however , and as the auto advice is often secondary to the humor , it should continue to entertain . Give it a listen if you haven't heard it . The fun the brothers have over the hour is rather infectious and will put you in a good mood for a bit . They are like modern Marx brothers . :bow: .

-----------

RAY: Hey, you guys. My brother has always said, “Don’t be afraid of work.â€

TOM: Right. Make work afraid of YOU!

RAY: And he’s done such a good job at it, that work has avoided him all his life.

TOM: And with Car Talk celebrating its 25th anniversary on NPR this fall (35th year overall, including our local years at WBUR)…

RAY: …and my brother turning over the birthday odometer to 75, we’ve decided that it’s time to stop and smell the cappuccino.

TOM: So as of October, we’re not going to be recording any more new shows. That’s right, we’re retiring.

RAY: So, we can finally answer the question, if my brother retired, how would he know?

TOM: The good news is that, despite our general incompetence, we actually remembered to hit the “record†button every week for the last 25 years. So we have more than 1,200 programs we’re going to dig into starting this fall, and the series will continue.

RAY: Every week, starting in October, NPR will broadcast a newly assembled Car Talk show, selected from the best material in our archives.

TOM: Sorry, detractors, we’re still going to be on the air!

RAY: But to our fans, don’t be sad. We’ve managed to avoid getting thrown off NPR for 25 years, given out tens of thousands of wrong answers, generated lawsuit threats from innumerable car companies, and had a hell of a lot of fun talking to you guys.

TOM: And when we listen to the stuff that’s in our archives, it still makes us laugh. A lot. We’re hoping to be like “I Love Lucy†and air ten times a day on “NPR at Nite†in 2075.

RAY: Will we change our minds and come back and do some more shows? I would say it’s unlikely, but anything’s possible. Right, Tommy?

TOM: Absolutely not. My brother can go chase himself. I’m done.

RAY: But, we’ll still be contributing to our web site regularly, writing our weekly “Dear Tom and Ray†column…

TOM: …and clanging pots in the office to make sure our staff is awake at least two hours a day.

RAY: In the meantime, thank you for giving us far more of your time than we ever deserved. We love you. And know that starting this fall, for the first time, we’ll be able to sit at home, laughing at Car Talk along with you guys on Saturday mornings.

Edited by Guest

Grrr..spent the weekend in pain....had to go to urgent care...seems that somehow I got an infection under my nail...woke up with it all swollen this morning and in alot of pain....then the doctor stuck a needle under my nail...OMG that hurt...but should be better in a few days....and yep it was my middle finger....LOL