What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ha! They should have monitored their, um, BMs for a few days with a strainer. :laughing: :laughing:

How do you swallow a tooth without knowing it? I don't think I could swallow a solid chunk of anything that size and not be aware of it.

:laughing: Yes, I think he'd rather pay... :laughing:

If you break a tooth while you're eating you might not notice it... Many children do swallow their milk teeth and don't notice about it...

My little kitty Carolita, who's asthmatic and has issues with her lungs too... she gets cortisone shoots every month... so she's not playing anymore and she feels tired and sad... :P

She was such a joy one month ago...! at least she lives with people who care for her and will make her life as sweet as can be and as long as possible...

It's crazy, you really get to love those furry balls... :P

You know edna, I just started using our humidifier we've had for years but had forgotten about and I can't believe the difference it's made in our animals. One of our cats likes to lay as close to it as he can get.

One of DH's nephews said he used to run one in his bedroom all the time because his asthma was really bad and it really helped.

We're having a really terrible time with fleas this year. I had to shave our Jack Russell today because of them. Even the drops aren't working anymore. Nothing is. I think they have become immune to the stuff. The poor girl has sores all over from the bites and has had four fleas baths and countless sprayings etc. this week and I know that can't be good for her.

We have wood floors so carpet isn't hiding them and I'm just at my wits end with this :puppyeyes: Last resort, tomorrow we bag balm her from head to toe. If that doesn't work, to the vet. AGAIN.

Bad grades. Not that I don't get good grades. I do. In my non-science classes. But my science grades suck, and I'm a science major. I'm starting to get very worried about the whole "finding a fulfilling career" thing.

I know that we are at completely different ends of the scholastic spectrum but my advice would be to not stress out too much about your grades. I'm certainly not telling you to throw up the deuces, get Timmed every night and ignore your classes. However, you really should enjoy your experience and know that when you make it through, you will have a degree from a very prestigious university. They don't print your GPA on your diploma, you know.

I agree with 10P Tim. Besides, I have a feeling you think you need to be perfect and get perfect grades. You don't ya know. WE think your perfect already and thats all that matters :D If you can get C's your passing so...Don't sweat it kidlett. As Dorthy Parker would say, "Your passing fair" ;)

I always thought you should go into Law anyway. Defending the downtrodden and the planet. It may not make you rich but you'd have sweet dreams at night :D

Bad grades. Not that I don't get good grades. I do. In my non-science classes. But my science grades suck, and I'm a science major. I'm starting to get very worried about the whole "finding a fulfilling career" thing.

Remember, there's always music to fall back on. An enterprising mind can reap and harvest your knowledge of music to make it pay.

Okay, here's my take on it:

I was a science major as well and I received terrible marks in my science classes. Of course, I could/can cruise control with "A"s and "B"s through all the liberal arts/humanities and social studies classes I took. The catch is that at the institution I attended (which placed a heavy emphasis on science and engineering) those majors/classes are ridiculed... with good reason.

Right after you graduate, it will make a huge difference between landing a secure and well-paid profession (for engineers, doctors, computer scientists) versus some random job unrelated to what you studied (for econ, comm., vis arts, poli-psych graduates). Basically, majoring in anything that is non-science or engineering is tailored for girls looking to obtain a "MRS" degree (it's a running joke amongst engineers and med school students, but it's really no joke). You would not believe the quality of chicks populating those poli-psych classes. Oh, man, I freakin' missed that boat... wait.. what was I talkin' about?

On the other hand, I secured an okay position some months after I graduated. Here's the kicker: since I received terrible grades, I could not go into a graduate/professional school and obtain a better profession for myself. In the world of academics, grades matter - a lot. If you're just lookin' to get by with a bachelors in science degree, then GPA doesn't count for s*** (I'm proof of that).

Lastly, I'm not one of those who subscribes to the bizarre idea that I should love what I do or have a job that fulfills me. Work is instrumental in my life for helping achieve what I want outside of it. I get compensated for the work I do and I use that compensation to fund activities that are satisfying and fulfilling. I truly believe that [most] anyone can have fun and a good time doing whatever it is they're doing for a living. If a person is stressed, sadenned, or have any kind of negative feelings because of (or towards) work or school, then they're doing it wrong.

By the way, I graduated, but I'll always be in permanent session attending community college classes and university extension courses (for certifications). Since I failed to obtain good grades, I have to go the long way to get promoted. What some might've seen as a "success" [in graduating uni], I see as a failure to achieve what I originally intended. This gives me a bit of motivation to better myself and do my best... even if that "best" would entail doing menial and lowly jobs. The main fulfillment I derive from work is the notion that I am useful and reliable to others (I also derive a lot of satisfaction knowing that I am right) :beatnik:

That's a tall order. Some people really go for those lofty goals. Mine is way simple, perhaps too simple: Have a good time, all the time (from Spinal Tap).

"Good food, good laughs, good company," I always say (and I thought I was clever, except other people have also come up with this brilliant philosophy on their own as well) :beatnik:

I understand that. I was a Marketing major, but before I got into my major classes, we had to take general business classes like accounting, corporate finance, macro/microeconomics, and business law. I did well in everything but accounting. That class nearly killed me and I realized that if I didn't pass the class, I'd have to change majors. So I put a lot of stress on myself to do better and it nearly did me in, but I passed when it was all said and done. But barely.

So relax and be confident in your abilities. You're smart enough to pass the class, so don't get hung up on whether you will. Know you will.