What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my kingdom for the patience to create a Web site!

I got my new domain name today, and bought the do-it-yerself package to make a Web site. So now I have two sites to create, and even though it's probably so simple a caveman could do it, I can't figure out some stuff.

Looks like Tech support at GoDaddy will be getting to know me in the next couple of weeks. I feel for them.

why? Are they horrible? They were super nice to me and the poor guy tried his best to talk me through everything he could yesterday for about an hour. And they've got 24/7 tech support. You're the first person who's had anything remotely negative to say about them...?

where's the rant? Hmmmmm? Were you rendered catatonic at your desk?

My little rant is about my eye. My eye has been causing me to see little moving flashes of bright white out of the very corner, and they startle me, and irritate the (*&(^% out of me. Now it's begun hurting a bit in the corner of my eye, and Jeff tells me it looks like there's a spot there. Not cool. :mad: :mad:

Get to the eye doctor ASAP! Even if it's just irritation or a minor bug easily cured by rest or medicine. Flashing spots could point to a detaching retina at worst, or undiagnosed Glaucoma at best. (Sorry if that sounds scary, but having to learn Braille would be far too "interesting.")

I saw the lights at the outer edges of the eye too, Shawna. Usually when shifting the eyeball from one side to the other, as if watching a tennis match. Around the same time, I had small dark spots appear randomly at points inside the eyesight perimeter. I thought I might be going blind. My eye doctor said these might have been early symptoms of detached retina, but as in about 95% of the cases, actually what was going on is commonly referred to as "floaters." Google it. It is a temporary albeit, sometimes lengthy, condition where some membranes lining the eyesocket (not the retina) loosen as a function of aging and the spots where the adherence is not 100% appears as a dark or light spot, depending on the location - outer areas usually light and inner areas usually dark. After a couple of months, my sight compensated and I barely noticed those "firing lights." And after a year and a half, my lining completely renewed itself and I do not see any of those spots now. Some say there are vitamins and diet regimes that can improve the "floaters" more quickly. But time will do the trick eventually.

But still, as others have said, see an eye doctor, just for your own peace of mind, if for no other reason. I was glad I did. Imagine a photographer having the sensation of going blind! But after a simple office exam, the opthamologist allayed my fears. (The experience did generate a short short story, "The Blind Photographer.")

My story is the same as S2V's Shawna. I didn't go to the eye doctor for just the floaters tho. My eye sight was also getting worse.

He told me it comes with old age and I might wanna start thinking of reading glasses :crazy:

Sad part is I was about your age then :laughing: I have gone up several strengths in reading glasses since :(

But I still think you might want to see an eye doctor if you can. We aren't doctors and it could just as easily be something serious.

Shawna, it is probably nothing but a normal symptom of aging, but you should have it checked out by a professional ... here's a link from a source we use at work sometimes .... Merck Manual of Geriatrics (see the floaters/flashing lights paragraphs).

In addition, they can be simple warning signs of what is called an 'optical migraine' as well. Do you suffer from headaches at all? Anyway, go to the doctor if it continues, just to make sure, most especially if there is a 'spot' on your eye or eye pain.

wow... you guys are sort of scaring me. :puppyeyes:

I do have an appointment on Tuesday already. When I called last week and told them what I needed to come in for, the gal said, "Can you come in tomorrow morning? We'll fit you in." And I laughed and said, "No... it's not an emergency thing, it doesn't hurt or anything. Just give me the next regular available appointment." So she did. Now Jeff's telling me he wishes I'd gone in when the gal said.

Glaucoma is an ugly word! Whenever I've had those eyeball pressure tests before, I've been grilled about if there's glaucoma in the family history, because the pressure in that eye is supposedly right up on the line. :puppyeyes: