What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm allowed to disagree with their decision, right? I read your response as belittling me for voicing my opinion (an admittedly inarticulate opinion, but still).

The masses can be wrong. Or I can be wrong by disagreeing with the masses (I'm not). Either way, it's my right to say "f***ing Massachusetts".

living under dictatorial rule

(bearing in mind that my court reporting classes consist almost 100% of our instructors dictating lessons to us while we transcribe on our stenos) Today our instructor announced to us, "Today, I will be your dictator." And he ruled.

:grin:

I'm allowed to disagree with their decision, right? I read your response as belittling me for voicing my opinion (an admittedly inarticulate opinion, but still).

The masses can be wrong. Or I can be wrong by disagreeing with the masses (I'm not). Either way, it's my right to say "f***ing Massachusetts".

:bow: :bow:

Sorry that you thought I was belittling your opinion, Tim. I meant to point out the pejorative in your reaction as a grandfather might advise, rather than to chasten you as a father could.

What concerns me most, as noted in your post, is the increasing crescendo of the vitriolic language used by political opposites in the USA these days. One used to be able to take a side without being scolded through expletives, but it seems more the norm than the exception these days when reading blogs and such. I fear the political landscape is becoming more and more rocky, fiercely guarded and built with so much barbed fences not seen since pre-Civil War America, when sides were drawn with the edge of a sword.

But I meant no disrepect toward your right to an opinion, Tim.

Fair enough. I guess this is the partisanship George Washington warned about. Still, it's not like I hear what the "liberals" say and copy their opinion, I form my opinion based on the facts and they just happen to coincide with the left-wing faction of our country.

Also, I curse a lot. :P

You're right, Tim. I agree with you. And no, the masses are never right. Democracy can lead to some terirble mistakes (I won't compare this with the election of **tler in 1933, that would be too much...)

Pity, pity, pity...

Regardless of the 59-41 majority , this is more than what Bush ( who did whatever he liked, or any other party since 1923) had ,so there is no reason other than cowardice not to rip the party in line and make them vote appropriately .

Either that , or Her Majesty on behalf of Canada will benevolently - and without smugness nor malice - will accept your surrender and we'll just forget this silly republican experiment . Hey , they've always failed before . ;)

Actually , a Chinese -style sweat shop mentality with full , but cheap , employment and high -level ( wink-wink ) corruption may be the out now ... :laughing: .... what is the the real difference now , other than labels ?!?!? :D

I have been sort of promoted in my job, they want me to work in another department so I can speak other languages and so. More money, same time. I will miss my co-workers. I'll see them at the bar or the coffee-time. I always make friends at my jobs... I hate changes...:P

Either that , or Her Majesty on behalf of Canada will benevolently - and without smugness nor malice - will accept your surrender and we'll just forget this silly republican experiment . Hey , they've always failed before . ;)

Hey, at least if we surrender back to the crown, we'll get healthcare, right? :cool:

Speaking of State names like Maasachuetts (Massachusetts ) that are hard to pronounce has anyone ever correctly pronounced :

"Connecticut"

with a "C"? It's almost as hard to spell as pronounce.

Remember a beer called "Artic Ice?"

Millions were spent on advertising campaigns introducing "artic ice" beer.

Sadly, they spelt Antarctica wrong. So all the billboards, magazine articles, TV commercials and merchants disregarded Artic Ice because of its miserable misspelling.

Artic Ice...lmao... (Arctic Ice) with a "C"

Icehouse was next and they spelt it right. What came soon thereafter would bewilder even the most competent theorist:

"Dry" beer. Miller dry, Bud dry, etc., etc.

I don't know, but if I'm thirsty I want something wet.

BTW, My name ends in a "C" though many spell it

Mark.

Though I'm retired many of my clients were tickled by my whole name because I'm a carpenter and deal with wood.

My name is Marc Wood.

Whenever I used to measure a piece of wood I'd have to mark it for the final cut.

I am what I do, I

Mark (with a "C") wood.

;)

Thanks, Marc... but I'm stayinf where I am. A bit more of money but I don't like changes right now.

I HAD the nerve to say now :grin:

How do you pronounce Connecticut, by the way? I always said ConneCticut. They call it "Cone-ticut" in Spain, they cannot pronounce the words properly. They cannot say "Bagdad" neither... spanish TV speakers! :doh:

I always said cun-et-e-cut until I sent a letter to Connecticut.

Antarctica and Connecticut share something in common and that is most people don't pronounce the "C."

In the case of Connecticut most people are right because the "C" is silent though not the case regarding the world's largest continent.

How many people pronounce the "L" in "salmon" or "solder?" How many pronounce the "T" in "often?"

(the fact that so many pronounce often off-ten it's now considered to be accepted by most speakers though still incorrect to most English scholars)

off-un is correct and I still get a shiver when I hear a person say it right which isn't often, in fact the only person I ever met or talked to that pronounced often "off-un" was my English teacher!

Language is, IMO, the greatest thing ever invented besides the nuclear bomb, women and music.