What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My heaviest weight in my life was 145, and that was nine months pregnant. I've always been a skinny thing. Over the past 2 years, with this stupid Graves, and without a thyroid anymore (basically meaning I don't have a metabolism to speak of anymore), I just keep gaining weight, a little here, a little there. There's not much of a way to control it. Exercise more, but shoot, at a certain point, you get tired. :mad: ;)

Over the past 2 years, with this stupid Graves, and without a thyroid anymore (basically meaning I don't have a metabolism to speak of anymore), I just keep gaining weight, a little here, a little there. There's not much of a way to control it. Exercise more, but shoot, at a certain point, you get tired. :mad: ;)

That' s strange, Lucky... when they found out my thyroid was dead I had already lost some 15 kilos... :P and it took me years, decades... to gain some. We have the same trouble but opposite symptoms... My grand-mother had Graves too (also called Basedow) and she was also very skinny...

A person is skinny when they have a hyperactive thyroid (Graves), meaning your thyroid gland is running at hyper speed- metabolising as fast as the speed of light (I want that back). Hypothyroidism (or slow acting) is the opposite, and is what usually happens when you have no thyroid or Hashimoto's disease. I literally got rid of mine with radioactive iodine, so I have no thyroid at all, so my body runs at a slower hypo speed. Even though I got rid of the thyroid I still have Graves, it's just my symptoms are a bit different now.

It also means my energy level is lower and lots of other less than fun things. :mad: :tongue:

That's funny... how can you have Graves without a thyroid?

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's quite recently, and I'm not even sure if I've got any symptoms or not :P

Hyperactive thyroid doesn't cause Graves, Graves causes hyperactive thyroid. I nuked my thyroid so I've got the slow metabolism (it took 3 years to slow down completely), but I still have Graves. It effects more than the thyroid, it can effect the eyes (thank god that didn't happen), heart (I've a bit of that), and the skin, as well as other things. I hate it. :mad: But oh well, I live with it. ;)

It has just occurred to me that I had confused the location of pinkstones with the location of Fariha...

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about ! I never recalled you saying you went to Bangladesh for a family wedding , and near Ft. Smith , was it... gave me a good laugh though ! :laughing: :D

Levis , you may find that living in a very different environment may leave you feeling a bit ill at times . Different reactions to insect bites , possible new allergies , etc. Hope you don't have much trouble with them though , and are well soon . I'm sure it's just a cold , as it's unlikely you've experienced such cool weather or conditions before and are living still as you think is normal - windows open , AC on , or the like . Get well soon ! :thumbsup:

And it's the first time I've been sick in Oz - so far, 21 years in Delhi had given me a v. efficient immune system. I think it's wearing off

mucho sympathy, Ms. New Aussie. :)

BTW... why do you use v. to say "very"? (that is what that means, right?) :crazy: