What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jenny, I just told my pagan gods about that and burnt some incense to please them... :cool: Let me know if it worked, otherwise I will have to talk seriuosly with them and probably change my religion... :grin:

Oh, and happy birthady to your daughter!! :thumbsup: One of my best friends has also his birthday on next Sunday... Sagittarius rule!!! ;)

On Sunday, it will be my daughter's 4th birthday party. The first one where it's not family, but all friends from her daycare. Well, they are predicting a major snow storm on Sunday. Couldn't you wait one lousy day, Mother Nature??????

You're a Jersey girl Jenny....kick Old Man Winter's Butt a little...you'll be fine...BTW, it's supposed to snow all day tomorrow too. The Farmer's Almanac called for more snow than usual between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but a warmer winter after that.

This morning I logged into my bank account to check the balance, etc. as I do every day.

As it happens, at 12:54 a.m. someone won a bid on ebay for $580.44 and paid with my paypal account. Then at 2:14 they also purchased something for $35 and used my paypal account to pay for that. I can't afford for this to happen, especially now at Christmas time. So I went crying hysterically to my bank, who said they couldn't put a hold on the charges, but when paypal has it straightened out they will reverse those charges and any resulting charges.

So I spent this evening so far writing letters and faxing proof of who I am to paypal.

The good news is that paypal had already flagged my account for fraudulent activity. Now I just have to wait for 24-48 hours for them to actually refund my money, then I get to transfer that into my checking account. What a web.

And then I log on here and have to wonder, Marcus, why you only commented on women, when overweight/out-of-shape men wear short t-shirts that don't cover their bellies, and oftentimes go without shirts at all. Gross.

Wow , Shawna ! Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about your recent trouble ! :( From time to time , I get Paypal emails asking me to update my account or sign in , etc. but I've always ignored them thinking they were just updates or useless spam - how could someone actually use my account , etc. ?!? :P Now I know better ! :thumbsup: :bow:

And then I log on here and have to wonder, Marcus, why you only commented on women, when overweight/out-of-shape men wear short t-shirts that don't cover their bellies, and oftentimes go without shirts at all. Gross.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

(coming from an underweight 52 years old woman)

From time to time , I get Paypal emails asking me to update my account or sign in , etc. but I've always ignored them thinking they were just updates or useless spam - how could someone actually use my account , etc. ?!? :P Now I know better ! :thumbsup: :bow:

careful Kevin! make always sure that these mails really are from Paypal...

it could be that somebody forged their website just so that you can log in (so that they get your account and password)... this tactic is known as "fishing"

and a general tip: a passwords should have at least 5 (better more) characters, best would be if you mix Capitals, non-capitals, numbers and special characters.

also, it should always be avoided to use a real "word" that you can find in a dictionary, or the use of a birthdate etc.

the best way is to think of a sentence (as a memory hook) and use the first letters/numbers/chars as the pw

example:

"Tit1PWicto"

"This is the first (1) password I can think of" ;)

this leaves me wondering if these hackers know my other accounts, too, and the passwords - if they've gotten a virus into my computer or something, or if it was paypal that was hacked and they just got my info randomly... Any thoughts on how in the heck I could tell? Outside of the obvious: if more money disappears out of my account.

no, that's highly unlikely - but better be safe than sorry, update your anti-virus software and run a complete check on your system...

I don't really think there's a way to find out if some other account was hacked - until it's too late, or sometimes the website can tell you...

to be safe here you could change your password (at least there where it matters (eg if money is involved)) ;)