An evening with Rush

Mike

That's what it said on the ticket, when I first gazed upon it a few months ago, I thought, what a warm way to phrase it, what a "personal" way to phrase it.

Well after months of waiting for a concert, the first concert I have attended since 1983, that's right, 1983!

Let me just start by saying Rush in Rio lit a fire in me that had smoldered to a barely distinguishable cinder last November.

I love music, especially hard rock music. But I

re-identified with Rush, a band I had been modestly enjoying on and off for the last 3 decades, in a huge way!

After seeing Rush in Rio, then learning of the anniversary tour...I knew I must attend! In addition this gave me an opportunity to share my love for music with my daughter.

So we parked the car and took the shuttle to the venue, we got cash from the machine and got our shirts and found our way to our seats, not the best, not the worst.

The spot light on Neil's kit, and the crowd goes wild!

My daughter was so impressed with the gold shimmer from the hardware on the professors massive set of drums.

From the opening of the show I could see the look in my daughters eyes, that look of amazement as she witness the thunder from Alex's amplifiers as he seemingly effortlessly picked away at those all so familiar chords and notes, the smoke filling the stage and the lights and lasers dancing throughout the arena as fans erupted in cheers and shouts of approval to every recognizable tune, hit after hit they played with relentless enthusiasm and energy, made me continually re-ask that question - how old are these guys again?. The first half of the show came to a close, a 15-20 minute break ensued as we stretched and peered around at the enormous diversity of the crowd on hand, fathers with daughters and sons, young teens, hippies, grandfathers, my daughter was definitely surprised at how many other "families" were in attendance.

The second half opened with still more energy, some of the crowd were recharged thanks to their visits to the beer gardens, and Alex, Geddy and Neil seemed to have "kicked it up a notch" as the blew through still what seemed like an endless barrage of great songs from a not so distant past, playing with such pleasure and endurance.

After what appeared to be the last song, but no one was really fooled, they blasted even more tuned out in an encore that can only be described as AWESOME.

Well we left feeling very satisfied, far more than a couple dozen songs and three and a half hours of relentless Rush!

OUTSTANDING!! Like a fine wine these guys continued to better with age. I can't wait until they tour again; I hope with all my strength that 2006 brings with it a new album and a new tour! I will be there, my daughter will be there, and by then my son will be old enough... he will be there too.

An evening with Rush, and a lifetime with Rush!

Have a great weekend! and

Safe and splendid Indenpence day!!

~Mike

Your post was here.

There is a ghost in the machine...escaped from the sanatorium.....

He will follow you for the rest of your days. Just...don't...look...behind...you....

:: ::

Seriously, I don't know. Carl? Sara?

LOL!! You funny :laughing:

My reply was short and sweet where I mentioned that it was a good read. I enjoyed it.

I don't see why my original reply is gone. I hope I don't start being suspicious. ::

Can you remeber what songs they played?

I can't remember every song but here are a few

Spirit of Radio

Limelight

Roll the Bones

Dreamline

Mystic Rhythms

Beneath Between Behind

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

Working Man

The Trees

Xanadu

Earthshine

YYZ

Time Stand Still

Subdivisions

Show don?t tell

Distant early warning

I?m sure I?m leaving out some. They played over three hours. From their new all-cover CD ?Crossroads? I remember hearing

Summertime Blues

Crossroads

The Seeker

There were only two songs that I was disappointed not to hear

Freewill, where I got my signature

Closer to the Heart, a classic audience participation song

Can you remeber what songs they played?

They opened with an instrumental medley :

Finding My way

Anthem

Bastille day

Passage to Bangkok

Small snippet from hemispheres

Then full songs-

Spirit of radio

Force Ten

Animate

Subdivisions

Earthshine

Red Barchetta

Roll The Bones

Bravado

YYZ

Trees

The Seeker

One little victory

Second set

*Had this funny cartoon with the bobble heads

Tom sawyer

Dreamline

Secret Touch

Between the Wheels

Mystic Rhythms which I just loved watching Neil

RED SECTOR A

Neil drum solo

Acoustic Resist

Acoustic Heart of Soul

2112 overture temples of syrinx

Earthshine

La Villa with a rant about being a Pirate and arrrg--

Bytor

XANADU with the white doubleneck

Then he brought out the white ES-355 for working man

Encore:

Summertime Blues (rocked!)

Crossroads

Limelight

-I probably missed a couple, seemed like 31-32 full songs

plus the initial meddle.

Awesome show!!!

Mike

What did you do Mike, bring a notepad. :: I knew I didn't remember everything. I'm actually thinking of trying to get to one of their east coast shows in August. It was so good.

No, no notepad, I viewed the set list and from what I remember that was it, except, as I state, I'm not 100% certain, no money back guarantees, ok? ::

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see them a coupla weeks ago at the Coors Amphitheatre in Chula Vista. They put on a great show clocking in at over 3 hours. It was all quality schtuff ranging from their usual anthemic tunes right down to drum solos and an acoustic set. They never fail to please their fanbase after 30 years in the scene.

The show was amazing!!! 3 hours of (15 min intermission) of non-stop jamming music. Alex did sing a cute version of Happy Birthday to Geddy. Geddy did explain that, "thirty years ago today, Neal joined Rush."

During one of the jams some gals came out on stage dressed in provocative attire. My male friends would call it Stripper Wear lol It was totally outta character for a Rush show but I figured they must have been there for Geddy's birthday (shrug)

The graphics, cartoons and light show were really well done as well. I loved seeing old photos of the band through the years as they played their hearts out.

The best part for me was actually getting to meet Alex and Geddy!!! Basically what you did was stand between them with quick greetings of hellos and 2 photos were taken of you with a camera that they let you keep. I was surprised at just how short they were. Geddy looks so small and thin. I don't know what I was expecting lol

As soon as I get the pics developed I will post them for all to see :)

Great show and memories

• 6 months later...

The show, of course, was outstanding. Rush is always better than ever in concert! Quite a feat. I just couldn't believe it the first time I saw them in '86. I'm an old rocker, and have seen many great bands over the last four decades. Only Pink Floyd has ever outdone Rush in concert, at least in my experience.

I loved seeing all the awesome, lovely, happy families this time. Indeed, Rush crosses all demographic boundaries. Their music and guidance could last for many generations. They're that good.

I also enjoyed all the middle-aged Bill and Ted's with their bellies stretching out their old tour shirts playing air instruments all over the place. I was really dorky, myself! How about you?

:happybanana: :stars: :drummer: :bow: =:P

The show, of course, was outstanding. Rush is always better than ever in concert! Quite a feat. I just couldn't believe it the first time I saw them in '86. I'm an old rocker, and have seen many great bands over the last four decades. Only Pink Floyd has ever outdone Rush in concert, at least in my experience.

:happybanana: :stars: :drummer: :bow: =:P

Which Floyd tour did you see? I got to see Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell. I felt so amazingly lucky to see them in concert *sigh*

:happybanana:

• 2 weeks later...

In 92 I was on my way to Columbia, SC. Driving through Montgomery, I locked into the local classic station.I liked the jock and the tracks, and I gave him a call. When I asked for some Rush, he put me on the air. Rush was playing locally that night. My impromptu plug on the air parlayed into a backstage pass at the show.

I was late arriving in Columbia, but it was worth it....