Best bands from your hometown

Batman

Straight outta Port Hawkesbury (Pop. 4000)

Bobby Cameron (Long John Baldry called him the best new blues guitarist out there or something)

www.myspace.com/bobbycameron

Soup Once won an award for best young band in Canada www.myspace.com/soupband

Edited by Guest

All I know are country acts…

Kathy Mattea (actually from Cross Lanes)

Red Sovine

I think the biggest band to come out of Charleston was called the Mind Garage. They were signed to RCA and released a cover of John D. Loudermilk's "Tobacco Road" (the song the Nashville Teens did).

• 1 month later...

Title explains it:

Portland, Oregon...

The Decemberists

The Shins (they moved here)

Elliott Smith

Agalloch

The Thermals

The Helio Sequence

Menomena

Hazel

The Wipers

Stephen Malkmus

Aren't The Gossip from Portland?

They may not be very famous back home, but the UK's going crazy for The Gossip right now: magazine front-covers, daytime airplay, topping polls, etc.

And why not? Beth Ditto is a really great vocalist, and "Standing In The Way Of Control" kicks major ass.

Link to more info about The Gossip

Edited by Guest
Add link

"Standing In The Way Of Control" is the track that's got everybody talking about them. The single charted last year, but has done even better on being re-released in 2007: No.7 in the hit-parade is a pretty good showing for something that might be described as "alternative"/punk rock. That description wouldn't do them justice, mind you: they've got the funk, the rock and the soul to go with it. It's your duty to hear them, and soon.

I haven't heard the whole album yet (also titled "Standing In The Way Of Control") I bought it for my brother for Christmas though, and he confirms that it is excellent stuff...

Vocalist Beth Ditto was voted NME's "Cool Icon 2006", which sounds like a heap of sh!t award when you consider it probably went to hapless smackfiend Pete Doherty the year before, but has never been won by a woman before, (not even Debbie Harry or Chrissie Hynde), let alone by a lady of larger stature who yodels in the canyons.

It appears that The Gossip are now based in Portland, but may not be from there originally. Still, they're about to be H-U-G-E, so might as well check them out now: for credibility's sake, if nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...