would you die for your country?

Batman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an American Soldier i am prepared to SAVE my battle buddies, if i should die in the process, then so be it.

Yeah, i could go on, but all in all, if i go to iraq, and im pretty sure i will. Im not there for me, im not there for my President. Im there for my Battle Buddies, to get through that one year without gettin my a$$ killed. And ill be coverin the a$$es of my buddies.

I wouldn't. But I really respect and am grateful to those that do...

A lot of the answers here surprise me. Not in a bad way or a good way, just, they surprise me. Yeah. I would die for my country. I think about the sacrifices that the men and women before me made so that I can enjoy the freedoms that I enjoy. They died for their country. If I said no, I wasn't willing to lay my life down to ensure that those after me could enjoy the same rights and freedoms, I view it as kind of selfish.

Just my opinion.

A lot of the answers here surprise me. Not in a bad way or a good way, just, they surprise me. Yeah. I would die for my country. I think about the sacrifices that the men and women before me made so that I can enjoy the freedoms that I enjoy. They died for their country. If I said no, I wasn't willing to lay my life down to ensure that those after me could enjoy the same rights and freedoms, I view it as kind of selfish.

Just my opinion.

if you think it's selfish, I believe it's a "bad way", isn't it? ;)

I can't speak for the Americans, but Germans tend to get rather defensive and pacifistic when asked a question like that

we have fought more than enough wars in the last century... :crazy: :P

all we are saying is give peace a chance...

Just my opinion.

I think it depends on the war, too. For instance, if America was attacked, and our freedom was actually brought under fire, I'd be more likely to fight. For instance, I think I might have fought in WWII. However, I don't think "protecting our freedom" has anything to do with the current war.

I do agree with you, though, that we need to protect the rights of Americans after us, but I don't think getting stuck in an unwinnable war in the middle east is doing that. If we want to make America a better place for those who will follow us, we ought to be putting less effort into "spreading democracy" and more into stopping global warming, polluting less, saving the rainforest (so we can breathe and stuff), and make our diets less corn-based. That last one is kind of a sidenote, but I read this article in biology class that says humans today base our entire diet around corn, pretty much everything we eat has traces of corn in it. Even our material objects have corn in it, and if there is ever a major corn famine, we're screwed!

By the way, I'm not trying to rant against you specifically, Ken, this is more of a general rant about current issues. I mean, you didn't even mention the Iraq war...

I think it depends on the war, too. For instance, if America was attacked, and our freedom was actually brought under fire, I'd be more likely to fight. For instance, I think I might have fought in WWII. However, I don't think "protecting our freedom" has anything to do with the current war.

That´s exactly what I think too. There are some cases in which you have to fight.

... stopping global warming, polluting less, saving the rainforest (so we can breathe and stuff), and make our diets less corn-based. That last one is kind of a sidenote, but I read this article in biology class that says humans today base our entire diet around corn, pretty much everything we eat has traces of corn in it. Even our material objects have corn in it, and if there is ever a major corn famine, we're screwed!.

I also believe that the great danger now is the global warming and its effects on a not s long term. But I didn´t know that about corn... corn is something I do live on since I was a kid, I love it... But it´s rather an American habbit (we ate corn every day in South America too), in Europe they discover corn maybe 10 years ago...

It must depend on whether the particular conflict is justified in one's own eyes. For example, if I were an English civilian in WWII I would have been reluctant to die in Poland in 1939, a bit miffed at the prospect of a bullet in France in 1940, yet would have felt prepared to 'stop one' should Germany have invaded my country. The liberation of Europe in 1943/45 was wholly justified, and by that point I would have probably been in the forces anyhow...

Now, if I were German, Italian, Romanian or Japanese... my opinion would have depended upon the extent of political brainwashing I had recieved....

Hey thanks Kevin!

And edna, just to clear up any confusion, it's not as if we are eating traditional corn on the cob every day, it's more like all our food has corn in it. It comes in the form of corn starches and corn syrups and stuff. So almost all artificial food has a bit of corn in it, I can't remember if organic does or not.

What cause is there that is more noble?

Absolutely none. Thats why it would take an attack against our beer supply to actually get us up off our butts! Canada is the drunk, laid-back big brother of the other countries. We never worry about money and we only care about our hockey teams! :laughing: