The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #46

Farin

Oh my goodness!! I'm sooo very late! I do have a VERY good excuse though! :) For the third (yes third) time in 6 months, our entire area has been without power. Another ice storm, but this one really hit my direct area badly! :( Forty Eight hours without heat, hot cooked food, light or hot water is a little much, combined with trees in your yard and your neighbours, crashing down.... It's been awful! The worst thing of course? NO SONGFACTS!! :)

I'm taking bets.... think I'll ever make it 2 weeks in a row without something happening? :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness!! I'm sooo very late! I do have a VERY good excuse though! :) For the third (yes third) time in 6 months, our entire area has been without power. Another ice storm, but this one really hit my direct area badly! :( Forty Eight hours without heat, hot cooked food, light or hot water is a little much, combined with trees in your yard and your neighbours, crashing down.... It's been awful! The worst thing of course? NO SONGFACTS!! :)

I'm taking bets.... think I'll ever make it 2 weeks in a row without something happening? :)

We are getting the ice storm now...my car looked like a big block of ice...they said that it's not gonna be as bad as the ice storm we had in 91.

Madman Running Through the Fields - Dantalian's Chariot

From allmusic.com: One of the most brilliant obscure psychedelic singles of the late '60s — indeed, one of the most brilliant obscure rock singles of any kind from the era — was Dantalian's Chariot's "Madman Running Through the Fields." This 1967 effort was British pop-psych at its zenith, strongly reminiscent of (and as good as) the classic early sides by Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. What made it all the stranger was that it was the debut single by a group of veteran musicians who, just a few months earlier, had been playing jazz/R&B fusion as Zoot Money's Big Roll Band. Money, a journeyman keyboard player and singer, had made a few records without getting anything close to a hit; his band featured a young Andy Summers, over a decade before the guitarist would reach stardom with the Police.

I might just have to see if I can download that. Sounds good! :coolio:

Two songs I heard this weekend (thank God for the Walkman and plenty of batteries!). I hadn't heard either for ages....

Hypnotized ~ Fleetwood Mac (Shawna, please take note) :)

I Can Feel Him In The Morning ~ Grand Funk Railroad

Shadows is back this week, with good nominations! She's got taste! :)

Wow, Darryl, I was going to nominate the same song (Hooked on a feeling) by Jonathan King. :laughing:

That's OK. :)

What I said was that Blue Swede stole the 'oogachuga' from Jonathan King's version (which didn't hit in the U.S. Edna). Their version is the one best known because of the 'Dancing Baby'.

Hooked On A Feeling: 22 second Dancing Baby Clip

I found a different Video Clip. The other one wouldn't load.

Quite a few renominations this time. I'm sure CanAm will tell us about them.

I'm pleased to see one of my favorites, "Go Now", The Moody Blues with Denny Laine on lead vocal given another go.

:guitar:

Of course the original Hit version of Hooked On A Feeling was by B.J. Thomas.

It entered the Billboard Pop Charts in November 1968, and peaked at #5 in January 1969. Look what you can find here on the Home Page of your very own Site, SONGFACTS.

This was written by Mark James, who also wrote Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds." (thanks, Eric - Salt Lake City, UT).

In 1971 English singer and Pop mogul Jonathan King produced his own version, adding the "Oooonga Chacka" jungle chants from Johnny Preston's "Running Bear." King was a university student in the UK when he recorded his debut hit Everyone's Gone To The Moon in 1965, which reached #4 in the UK and #17 in the US. He went on to become a successful singer, songwriter, producer (he named and produced Genesis), broadcaster and record company executive (in 1972 he formed UK Records).

In 1974 the Swedish Pop group Blue Swede recorded a cover of King's version that hit #1 in the US, Holland, Australia, and Canada. This was the first Swedish #1 in the US, and it reached the top the same week Abba won the Eurovision Song Contest with "Waterloo" and introduced themselves to an international audience. (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England, for above 2).

This was used in the Quentin Tarantino movie Reservoir Dogs.

In 1998, this was used in episodes of the TV show Ally McBeal when the "Dancing Baby" appeared. As Ally got older, the she would get visions of a baby who would dance to the Blue Swede version of this song, reminding her that her biological clock was ticking. Vonda Shepard recorded it for her album Songs From Ally McBeal.

Thanks Dappled. :) I reckon that should be worth a mention - if their version makes the Top Ten. Katie and Peaches will be looking for info then !

Unfortunately, I can't find a video of Blue Swede performing it. There's a lot more to the song than the 'oogachuga'. CAN anybody help me out please ?

:P

I can't find it either, but here's a gem for you. When Björn Skifs was in the European song contest in 1978 he had two versions of his song, one in English and one in Swedish. He couldn't decide which one to sing, not even when he sat at the piano on TV and millions of people were watching. When he opened his mouth to sing, what came out was ... nonsense. Neither English nor Swedish. Of course only the Swedes knew something went wrong! Here's the video.