Songfacts' profanity filter

Chris Akanora

I appreciate that we are encouraged to keep it clean on Songfacts. However, I wonder if your automatic machine's sensitivity is set a bit too high. Just now, I couldn't post a comment about the Monkees' "Valleri" until I removed the word "hype" (I changed it to "publicity"). A few days ago, I had occasion to refer to a film called "Pepe", and it wouldn't let that go through, either. I'm sure those were the words, as removing them and changing nothing else allowed the comments to go through. The Comment Guidelines mention swearing (profanity) and bad grammar, but I wans't aware that "hype" was either of these, and "Pepe" is a proper name (e.g., Pepe Romero). Could you comment on what filter you're using and how it works, and what types of language (other than the obvious) to avoid?

Hi Chris ~ welcome to Songfacts! :)

No, I can't comment on the type of filter being used... but there are several of us here who audit the comments left for songs, and I for one run into profanity quite often and have to "manually filter" it.

Yours is the first I've seen of anyone trying to post something and having it automatically filtered. So I'm baffled...

Helpful, huh? :crazy:

Hi Chris.

We have our filter set to just 3 words (and they're not the ones you used), so I'm not sure why you had that problem. It could be a bug - it you notice it anywhere else please let us know. You were able to use the words in your post, so it might be OK now.