List 33

Elvish

I see how this works now! :grin:

Here goes: Supertramp - "Breakfast in America"

Year released: 1979

Most popular tracks: "Breakfast in America", "Goodbye Stranger", "Take The Long Way Home" and "The Logical Song"

Overview: Supertramp's first "commercial" hit with widely popular songs (listed above) that were heard on nearly any radio station at the time (and still today). The music is tight and has something to offer for both the "casual" Supertramp fan as well as the "hardcore" listeners. This was the album that made them famous for generations, in my opinion.

Hope this is what you desired, Elvy :grin:

landofgreyandpinkcp7.jpg

"In The land of Grey and Pink"

Caravan

Recorded September 1970 and released 1971. This is their third album.

Tracks:

1. Golf Girl

2. Winter Wine

3. Love to Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)

4. In the Land of Grey and Pink

5. Nine Feet Underground/Nigel Blows a Tune/Love's a Friend/Make It 76/Dance of the Seven Paper Hankies/Hold Grandad by the Nose/Honest I Did!/Disassociation/100% Proof

Pye Hastings — guitar, vocals

Dave Sinclair — organ, piano

Richard Sinclair — bass, guitar

Jimmy Hastings — flute, saxophone

Richard Coughlan — drums

I´m quoting wikipedia:

Caravan are an English rock/jazz band from the Canterbury area, founded by former Wilde Flowers members David Sinclair, Richard Sinclair, Pye Hastings and Richard Coughlan. Caravan rose to success over a period of several years from 1968 onwards into the 1970s as part of the Canterbury scene which also included Soft Machine. They still continue a part-time gigging existence into the 21st century. A feature of the Canterbury sound is the blending of psychedelia and jazz.

Considered as prog-rock, I find it´s a very easy listening record. Plenty of pretty songs.

dylanbobblondevv7.jpg

"Blonde on Blonde"

Bob Dylan

Dylan´s seventh album and the first double-LP in rock history, released in May 1966.

Tracks:

Side 1

1. "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"

2. "Pledging My Time"

3. "Visions of Johanna"

4. "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"

Side 2

1. "I Want You"

2. "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"

3. "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"

4. "Just Like a Woman"

Side 3

1. "Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)"

2. "Temporary Like Achilles"

3. "Absolutely Sweet Marie"

4. "4th Time Around"

5. "Obviously 5 Believers"

Side 4

1. "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"

Bob Dylan - Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Keyboards, Vocals

Al Kooper - Organ, Guitar, Horn, Keyboards

Robbie Robertson - Guitar, Vocals

Joe South - Guitar

Rick Danko - Bass, Violin, Vocals

Bill Atkins - Keyboards

Wayne Butler - Trombone

Kenneth A. Buttrey - Drums

Paul Griffin - Piano

Garth Hudson - Keyboards, Saxophone

Jerry Kennedy - Guitar

Sanford Konikoff - Drums

Wayne Moss - Guitar, Vocals

Richard Manuel: drums, keyboards, vocals

Hargus "Pig" Robbins - Piano, Keyboards

Henry Strzelecki - Bass

Charlie McCoy - Bass, Guitar, Harmonica, Trumpet

This is from wikipedia:

Blonde on Blonde has been issued in no fewer than eleven different forms, with marked differences in mixes and track lengths. No specific version has been established as canonical...

Blonde on Blonde was a commercial success; it even spawned several hit singles that restored Dylan to the upper echelons of the singles chart. However, it was an even greater critical success. As critic Dave Marsh wrote in the Rolling Stone Record Guide, Blonde on Blonde is widely regarded as one of Dylan's "best albums, and [one] of the greatest in the history of rock & roll."

...In August of 1995 Blonde on Blonde was named the 8th greatest album of all time in a poll conducted by Mojo Magazine. In 1997 it placed at number 16 in a 'Music of the Millennium' poll conducted by HMV, Channel 4, The Guardian and Classic FM. In 1998 Q magazine readers placed it at number 47. In 2003, the album was ranked number 9 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Going to go out on a limb here and nominate something that isn't that well known outside Australia and New Zealand:

Snake Eyes On A Paradise

Greatest Hits 1976 - 1989

DRAGON

SnakeEyesOnAParadise.jpg

This is a greatest hits compilation from Dragon, a controversial New Zealand band that were huge in Australia in the mid 1970's and throughout the 1980's.

Standouts for me are 'Sunshine' 'April Sun In Cuba', 'Are You Old Enough', 'Get That Jive', 'I'm Still In Love With You' and 'Rain', but the whole album is great.

Dragon was so massive in Australia that there was hope for them to break into the US market. Unfortunately, the tour of America was an utter disaster, in which (among other things) lead singer Marc Hunter insulted a crowd of Texans, inciting a riot.

Dragon's constantly changing line-up, problems with drugs, alcohol and scandal almost overshadows their contribution to Aus/Kiwi rock (which is considerable). They are just a great rock band.

I know this album is unlikely to make MoC, but I love this band so much, and I think that it is a shame that they went unnoticed by the rest of the world.

Here's some Dragon tunes for your listening pleasure:

April Sun In Cuba

Are You Old Enough

Still In Love With You

Get That Jive

Rain

(I think that last one may have charted in a very small way in the US)

And here is the track list:

1. This Time

2. Get That Jive

3. Sunshine

4. April Sun in Cuba

5. Konkaroo

6. Are You Old Enough?

7. Still in Love With You

8. Love's Not Enough

9. Island Nights

10. Ramona

11. Rain

12. Magic

13. Cry

14. Wilderworld

15. Speak No Evil

16. Dreams of Ordinary Men

17. Western Girls

18. Celebration

19. River

20. Young Years

In honor of my first interview for Songfacts, I would like to nominate the Henry Paul Band's Grey Ghost.

Henry Paul left the Outlaws after their third album, and took with him the southern-rock flavor of the music he had injected into his songs with them. The Henry Paul Band's Grey Ghost was the first release from his new band, and brilliantly resurrects that southern-rock flare, proving its - and his - staying value.

Of the tracks on the album, "Grey Ghost," "Foolin'," "Lonely Dreamer," and "So Long" are the standouts - and the ones written by Paul.

Check out the Songfacts for these songs - and visit Henry's current site for a bigger taste: Blackhawk

Grey Ghost

Foolin'

Lonely Dreamer

SF for "So Long" haven't been uploaded yet... and I'm too lame to post a picture of the album cover, like all the cool posts above. :crazy:

arcticmonkeystg3.jpg

"Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"

Arctic Monkeys (2006)

Track listing

1. "The View from the Afternoon" – 3:38

2. "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" – 2:53

3. "Fake Tales of San Francisco" – 2:57

4. "Dancing Shoes" – 2:21

5. "You Probably Couldn't See For the Lights But You Were Staring Straight at Me" – 2:10

6. "Still Take You Home" – 2:53

7. "Riot Van" – 2:14

8. "Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured" – 2:23

9. "Mardy Bum" – 2:55

10. "Perhaps Vampires Is a Bit Strong But..." – 4:28

11. "When the Sun Goes Down" – 3:20

12. "From the Ritz to the Rubble" – 3:13

13. "A Certain Romance!" – 5:31

The album instantly shoves you into a seedy English pub and tosses you around it for the better part of 45 minutes. The conversational tone of the vocals and menacing blend of punk and blues rhythms create a sound that is simultaneously fresh yet reminiscent of classics like The Clash. The moodiness of the music combined with the band's stunning pop sensibilities make for an interesting and memorable listen. Songs stop and start on a dime and explode or deflate when you least expect them. Lyrically the band's trip through the pubs is witty and cynical, making it a trip that you'll want to take repeatedly.

A View From The Afternoon

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

When The Sun Goes Down

Chicago Transit Authority

chicagotransitauthorityda0.jpg

This is Chicago Transit Authority's debut album. They later shortened their name to Chicago. This 1969 album is Chicago at its best. Before they became a gooey soft rock machine, they released this great sound. With outstanding guitar work by the late Terry Kath and a superb jazzy horn section, this is by far their best work. Here is the song list:

1.Introduction

2. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

3. Beginnings

4. Questions 67 And 68

5. Listen

6. Poem 58

7. Free Form Guitar

8. South California Purples

9. I'm A Man

10. Prologue, August 29, 1968

11. Someday (August 29, 1968)

12. Liberation

Steely Dan - Aja (1977)

"Black Cow" – 5:10

"Aja" – 7:57

"Deacon Blues" – 7:37

"Peg" – 3:57

"Home at Last" – 5:34

"I Got the News" – 5:06

"Josie" – 4:33

aja.jpg

Their 6th LP, the jazz-oriented Aja, saw Becker and Fagen using the services of top-notch jazz, jazz-rock and soul musicians including Larry Carlton, Wayne Shorter, Steve Gadd, and Chuck Rainey. It is widely considered their finest album, and in fact one of the best albums of the time, arguably even in all of "rock" (somewhat ironic, given its heavy jazz overtones). Aja won a slew of awards, shot into the Top Five in the U.S. charts within three weeks of release, and was one of the first American LPs to be certified 'platinum' for sales of over 1 million albums. The first single off the album was "Peg," which featured Michael McDonald's prominent backing vocals and peaked at US #11. Other singles included "Deacon Blues" (#19) and "Josie" (#26). The album cemented the duo's reputation as songwriters, as well as their legendary reputation for studio perfectionism. The story of the making of the album has been documented in an episode of the popular TV and DVD series, Classic Albums.

Soon after the success of Aja, Becker and Fagen were asked to contribute the title track for the movie FM. The movie was one of the year's worst box-office disasters but the song was another hit, barely missing out on the Top 20 in the US and was another minor hit in the UK. The group still performs it today. - Wikipedia

I am nominating an album from a group that doesn't get much talk on the boards, but I like them:

Rock Steady by No Doubt

No_Doubt_-_Rock_Steady.jpg

From Wikipedia

Rock Steady is the fifth album by ska punk band No Doubt, released in 2001. Unlike the band's previous albums, Rock Steady showed heavy experimentation with reggae and 80s inspired dance music. It would go on to become a commercial comeback for the band, scoring the hits "Hey Baby", "Hella Good" and "Underneath it All" as well as surpassing sales of their previous offering, 2000's Return of Saturn. On the album, the band worked with several collaborators, ranging from The Neptunes ("Hella Good" and "In My Head") to Prince ("Waiting Room"). The album was nominated for the Best Pop Vocal Album at the 2003 Grammy Awards.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 316 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Track listing:

1. "Intro" – 0:27

2. "Hella Good" (Chad Hugo, Tony Kanal, Gwen Stefani, Pharrel Williams) – 4:03

3. "Hey Baby" [featuring Bounty Killer] (Tom Dumont, Kanal, Prince, Stefani) – 3:27

4. "Making Out" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 4:15

5. "Underneath It All" [featuring Lady Saw] (Stefani, Stewart) – 5:02

6. "Detective" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 2:54

7. "Don't Let Me Down" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 4:08

8. "Start the Fire" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 4:12

9. "Running" (Kanal, Stefani) – 4:02

10. "In My Head" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 3:25

11. "Platinum Blonde Life" (Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 3:28

12. "Waiting Room" (Prince, Dumont, Kanal, Stefani) – 4:27

13. "Rock Steady" (Kanal, Stefani) – 5:24

My favorite tracks besides the big hits "Hey Baby" and "Hella Good" are "Start the Fire" and "Detective". The whole album has a sexy reggae feel to it. It is a good album to dance to or just pop in the car CD player for a fun road trip.

Well, I was one of the votes, so really only two other people voted for it....I'll try anyway, it's not like I've been even close to the Top 10 the last few lists anyway!

Not complaining. I just nominate what I like and try to put a little variety in there....like with dance music and such. Why not?