The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #45

Lucky

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not keeping score (leave that to Farin) but "You Really Got Me" is polling well. I'm a big fan of The Kinks, but I didn't vote for this one because it self - plagiarises "All Day And All Of The Night" ! Almost the same song with different words, to my untrained ear anyway. If it gets to #1 (as "All Day And All Of The Night" did) it will be an absolute joke !

If you get a good riff stick to it ???

I notice that this happens with artists at least fairly often. Like the Who's (Whose's? Whoses'?!) My Generation and Magic Bus are nearly indentical in rhythm, backing vocals, etc. Only a few parts are different. Still, if they were nominated on different Top Tens, I'd give them the same place because they're both good songs.

1- You Better Move On - Arthur Alexander

2- Lonely Days - The Bee Gees

3- Harmony - Elton John

4- Fireball - Deep Purple

5- Everything I Own - Bread

6- Venus - Shocking Blue

7- Vehicle - Ides Of March

8- You Really Got Me - The Kinks

9- Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

10-Loser - Beck

Bonus Tracks:

O Superman (For Massenet) - Laurie Anderson

Oh No, Not My Baby - Maxine Brown

I'll Be Doggone - Marvin Gaye

Wanderer, The - Dion

Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes

A Day In The Life - The Beatles

Well, I'm not keeping score (leave that to Farin) but "You Really Got Me" is polling well. I'm a big fan of The Kinks, but I didn't vote for this one because it self - plagiarises "All Day And All Of The Night" ! Almost the same song with different words, to my untrained ear anyway. If it gets to #1 (as "All Day And All Of The Night" did) it will be an absolute joke !

I think it was the other way around, Darryl. From Wikipedia: The third single "You Really Got Me" entered the charts at No.1 in the UK and made the top 10 in the US, boosted by a performance on the UK television show Ready Steady Go!. With a loud, distorted guitar riff, achieved by Dave's Elpico amplifier (referred to by the band as the "little green amp") which Dave had sliced the speaker cones to give a dirtier sound. "You Really Got Me" provided a blueprint for hard rock and is sometimes considered to be the first heavy metal song. The group's fourth single, "All Day and All of the Night", another hard rock tune, was released late in 1964. It rose to No. 2 in the UK, and hit No. 7 in the US.[1] In 1965, The Kinks recorded "Set Me Free", and "Tired of Waiting for you", featuring a repeated bass guitar riff on both songs.

CeeCee nominated "All Day..."

"Waterloo Sunset" was nominated twice by myself and by someone called Callmeanimal :) . It should have been #1 IMO.

1. You Really Got Me - The Kinks

2. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

3. Third Stone From the Sun - Jimi Hendrix

4. Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

5. Baby Blue - Badfinger

6. The Thrill is Gone - B.B. King

7. Hotel California - The Eagles

8. Alone Again Or - Love

9. Beat Goes On, The - Sonny and Cher

10. Blinded by The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

About the guitar solo in "You Really Got Me": The guitar solo on the recording is the source of one of the most controversial and persistent myths in all of rock and roll: that the song's guitar solo was not played by Dave Davies, but by Jimmy Page. The solo was undoubtedly played by Dave Davies (then 17 years old), as everyone involved in the July 1964 recording sessions for the track has always maintained. Although an effective and integral part of the song, it is essentially a faster variation of the Louie, Louie guitar solo, and did not represent a great technical or stylistic achievement on par with that song's driving three-chord rhythm backing (save for the method of playing the pentatonic scale in a manner that "seems" sloppy; this technique is a major watershed in the history of rock and roll, arguably an influence on punk rock). However, the story has circulated for decades that the solo was played by Jimmy Page who later joined The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin. Page was in fact hired by Kinks producer Shel Talmy as a session player to play rhythm guitar on a handful of tracks on the Kinks' first album, but those sessions took place several weeks after the "You Really Got Me" session. Page, incidentally, has never publicly taken credit for playing the song's guitar solo, going so far as to state in a 1977 interview, "But I didn't play on 'You Really Got Me' and that's what pisses him [Ray Davies] off." Rock historian and author Doug Hinman makes a case that the rumor was begun and fostered by the established UK Rhythm and Blues community, many of whose members were resentful that an upstart band of teenagers such as the Kinks could produce such a powerful and influential blues-based recording, from seemingly out of nowhere. The rumor gained huge momentum in the 1970s after Page rose to legendary prominence with the band Led Zeppelin, with his legions of fans eager to believe he played a major role in a prototypical heavy metal song.

The musician that actually did session work on "You really got me" is keyboardist Jon Lord of Deep Purple. He played piano on this song and probably some organ on Kinks' first album. As quoted on fan site Pictured Within, Lord comments: "All I did was plink, plink, plink. It wasn't hard".

1) O Superman (For Massenet) - Laurie Anderson

2) Freak Scene - Dinosaur Jr.

3) Lost Art of Keeping a Secret, The - Queens of the Stone Age

4) You Really Got Me - The Kinks

5) Turning Japanese - The Vapors

6) Loser - Beck

7) Itchycoo Park - Small Faces

8) I Touch Myself - The Divinyls

9) Boys Are Back In Town, The - Thin Lizzy

10) Coffee & TV - Blur

1. Blinded by The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

2. Hotel California - The Eagles