The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #45

Lucky

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the free publicity Farin. :)

And Shawna, you're going to meet Charlie Daniels?!? He's one of my heroes. I'd cut off my feet to gain his talent with the fiddle. Everytime I tell someone I can play the fiddle, the first thing I hear is "Can you play Devil Went Down to Georgia?" To my shame, my answer is still no.

Shawna said in a Post in the previous Top Ten:

I know this was said in jest, but I find it intriguing that the four bands considered "supergroups" (by more people than CC)are all from Europe. Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are my two "supergroup" choices.

AMEN Shawna! The two best Groups of the 70s. I think the Brits had the best of the 60s, but the U.S. Groups absolutely 'killed' them in the 70s, the Stones being the only true U.K. survivors. That other newly formed U.K. Group did O.K. in the 70s too. Their 9 Albums have sold almost 100 million Albums in the U.S., so I suppose I have to give Led Zeppelin a mention.

;)

(I still prefer the Eagles and The Mac though).

I'm amazed that groups like America, Aerosmith, Bread, Boston, Carpenters, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Alice Cooper, ETC (I won't do D-Z, but special mention to Three Dog Night) rarely get a mention in our Top Ten.

:guitar:

and amen to you, brother Darryl! :grin:

I love all those groups in your A-C list. I've still got an old old old Bread album that has one of the best songs ever on it - "Nobody Like You."

I always thought I was just a bit of a cheese head for loving those groups. But since you do, too... well, at least I know I'm in good company. :crazy:

No Shawna, we're not Cheese Heads ! :grin:

Bread was one of the Supergroups of the 70s. I don't know that song you mentioned, but I'll find it and have a listen. I had a couple of vinyl LPs of their's, but I just have their 'Best Of' Cd.

I think Chicago were a superb Group. I like their songs with Peter Cetera on lead. There was a "who has the most distinctive voice" thread you might remember, and I went for him and Roy Orbison.

I nominated "If You Leave Me Now" a while ago, and was surprised at how little support it received. It was one of the biggest Hits of the 70s here in Australia.

:)

I might as well throw in a couple of nominations !

My Wife, daughter and grandchildren are out, so I've managed to grab the computer without having to go into "Children's Sites".

An Old Fashioned Love Song - Three Dog Night

Everything I Own - Bread

;)

Shawna said in a Post in the previous Top Ten:

I know this was said in jest, but I find it intriguing that the four bands considered "supergroups" (by more people than CC)are all from Europe. Eagles and Fleetwood Mac are my two "supergroup" choices.

AMEN Shawna! The two best Groups of the 70s. I think the Brits had the best of the 60s, but the U.S. Groups absolutely 'killed' them in the 70s, the Stones being the only true U.K. survivors.

Let’s see if the data supports this.

In 2006 we had 44 top tens. 132 songs placed in the top 3:

62 songs (or 47.0 %) were from the UK, and (surprise, surprise)

64 songs (or 48.5 %) were from the USA

6 songs were from the rest of the world

Songs from the different decades:

50s: 3%

60s: 53%

70s: 39%

80s: 2%

90s: 3%

34 UK songs and 32 US songs were from the 60s

25 UK songs and 26 US songs were from the 70s

The Beatles were the most successful artists with 14 songs in the top 3. The list:

Beatles: 14 songs

Rolling Stones: 7 songs

Led Zeppelin: 5 songs

Jimi Hendrix: 4 songs

CCR: 4 songs

9 songs were sung by female artists.

These nominations are dedicated to Darryl, since he felt a little "old" voting in our last Top Ten. Some oldies, but goodies for you

I'll Be Doggone - Marvin Gaye

This Magic Moment - The Drifters

Edited by Guest
One of my noms was already Top Ten

I'm amazed that groups like America, Aerosmith, Bread, Boston, Carpenters, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Alice Cooper, ETC (I won't do D-Z, but special mention to Three Dog Night) rarely get a mention in our Top Ten.

Not for lack of trying....I've nominated Alice Cooper songs several times. I love him so :grin: :bow:

And thanks for the statistics too Dappled, they'e a good read :bow:

Isn't it great to 'talk' to my friends. A few Posts I've replied to below. :)

The main reason I was taking a break after Christmas was because Karen (our eldest Daughter) and Alyssa and Christopher ( our Grandchildren 5 and 2 1/2) are staying for a month before going back to the wilds of North West Queensland.

We've been out all morning so they're tired out now (I know I am)and they're watching a DVD, so I get to log onto the computer without having to go into a Kids' Site.

Thanks to Farin and CeeCee I'm free to enjoy the Grandchildren while they're here - another 2 weeks yet.

Laurie: The Guess Who would definitely be on my U.S.list (except they're Canadian). How about re-nominating "American Woman" some time ?

Jenny: Thanks for those 2 old Soul songs. Love The Drifters.

blind-fitter: You brought me back to earth. You've got me stumped with those 2 Mate.

Katie: I'm a bit two-faced with Alice Cooper. There's a lot of his songs I really like, but some just don't get to me.

Rayzor: Good to see some Canadians nominated. Don't forget to vote this time ! Celine Dion and Anne Murray are my two favorite Canadians (besides Kevin), but I don't think too many others would vote for them.

Dappled: What do I say ? You're The Man ! Your stats prove The Beatles and Stones dominate, but I have no problem with that. I think they also show we need some more women artists in the Top Tens! I've got a Dusty Springfield song for my next nomination.

Cheers All.

:thumbsup: