Point me in the right direction, people

Seraphim

I am a young black girl in the south, and therefore have been forced to think that Ja Rule and Ashanti was all that is out there. Recently, I discovered Aerosmith and The Doobie Brothers and went crazy. Can anyone name anymore classic rock bands that have good music I can listen to? People tell me The Beatles and stuff like that, but I like the hard stuff too. What's everyone's favorite rock group?

I have a few suggestions for you Seraphim, as someone who didn't fully appreciate "classic rock" until my late teens/early twenties myself:

Try Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton (Cream), the Doors, Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revival. :headphones:

Everything people have written plus

Van Halen

AC/DC

Fleetwood Mac

Boston

Motley Crue

Black Sabbath / Ozzy

Don't give up on this quest. I was a white girl from Texas who hated Country and Western music. And do check out the Beatles, It's not quite as 'hard' as some of the other groups that have been listed but neither are the Doobie Brothers or Fleetwood Mac that I listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Singers:

Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding

Good Bands:

Nirvana

Pixies

The Breeders

Radiohead

Muse

Stone Roses

...many of the above as listed by other people, but avoid Yes! [Also, if anyone suggests Genesis, ignore it!] It won't do you any good at all!

Some of my favorite classic rockers

you might enjoy as well

Who

Grateful Dead

Santanta

Jefferson Airplane

Eagles

Crosby, Stills, & Nash (& Young)

Allman Brothers

Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Buffalo Springfield

Tom Petty

Styx

Boston

Steely Dan

Queen

Moody Blues

Byrds

Kansas

...many of the above as listed by other people, but avoid Yes! ... It won't do you any good at all!

I don't see much with Yes, to avoid them altogether, I think they're just as revolutionary & great sounding as just about any other prog rock band.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes is a very progressive band. Not a lot of people have the right taste for Yes. A lot of people I know can't stand them. They think the same with Led Zeppelin. They don't like the progressive or bebop/ abstract style or they don't like the jamming for 10 minutes style. A lot of those people prefer more melodic orchestrated stuff. I love it all.

Good Singers:

Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding

Good Bands:

Nirvana

Pixies

The Breeders

Radiohead

Muse

Stone Roses

...many of the above as listed by other people, but avoid Yes! [Also, if anyone suggests Genesis, ignore it!] It won't do you any good at all!

And what may I ask is so bad about Genesis? They rock! YES stinks. Owner of a Lonely Heart is the only good song, I love progressive rock but their's is just dull, very dull.

I'd suggest Rush, Dream Theater, The Eagles

Avoid modern rock and grunge, that stuff stinks. I don't know what everyone sees in Nirvana, I can't stand them, they don't make music, they make noise and mumble, that's the whole point of Wierd Al's parody, Smells Like Nirvana.