Saddam Executed

Elvish

Granted , but either yer fer it or agin' it - and make your stand . The whole style , this way , is gutless ... a ' brave new world ' ?! If you want to make a point to the populace , show a man executed by men who belive in what they are doing and in the institution that authorized them to act as such . It leaves a stronger impression . Guys supposedly carriying out official duties , not in uniform , and wearing ski-masks putting a noose around someone's neck ( anyone ) - could easily be seen in other ways... Louis XVI or Charles I , M. Antoinette , WWII war criminals could , at least , be more pleased with the way they were done away with compared to that .

I was just watching Gerald Ford's funeral and thought one of the great points of the US and other counties that feel the same was the sense of noblese and gentlemanship that is shown to men/ women of prominence . Perhaps Saddam didn't deserve that , but a gangster-style hanging doesn't reflect well in a region the US hopes to influence , especially while lacking a large number of friends ( and whose 'allies' likely have their plane/helicopter 'tickets'- and cash - ready to return to the US on a moment's notice ).

Laugh at Canada all you like , but we weren't with you in Vietnam and were not with you here . That may make us 2-0 ... ;)

No. The other post had it right. In light of the fact they might be recognised by Saddam loyalists, the ski masks stay :beatnik: It does harken back to the old days when executioners wore black hoods. For what Saddam did to that village, there could be many ways the people of Iraq could react. Hell! At least it wasn't the way Mussolini kicked the bucket. The Italians dragged his - and his mistress's - carcass for everyone to spit and stomp on. This is seen in actual reel-to-reel footage taken at the scene. It pales in comparison to being hanged by a coupla guys wearing hoods to protect their identities from retaliation. Next thing we know, some of yous will be clamouring for S.W.A.T. and undercover officers to blow their covers so that they can be sittin' ducks for their enemies.

Laugh at Canada all you like , but we weren't with you in Vietnam and were not with you here . That may make us 2-0 ... ;)

Yeah, Canada is like a random kid on a playground (go with me on this) This random kid sees a big headed egotistical idiot about to pick a fight with something more than it can handle, but before that he tries to get his friends to make it seem more scary, but it dont work. And Canada wont join this ridiculous fight because theres no point, knowing that this fight might go on a little while...the US might get some good punches in, but eventually all the allies would rather go play on the jungle gym, or maybe swing on the swings, or go kiss behind the bleachers. Canada just sits back and relaxes enjoying his recess, not trying to stir up trouble. The US just loves startin stuff that it cant finish.

And Canada doesnt have anything to finish cause they havent started anything!

So, God Bless Canada! More power to them for being smarter than us.

And God Bless the USA...cause God Knows we need all the blessing we can get to get through these years ahead of us.

BA ,

It isn't the masks per se that I was opposed too - of course THE executioner(s) needs to wear them : but here were 4 dudes dressed in leather coats and jeans - doesn't that strike you as a bit informal for a historic and combustible carrying out of justice ?

The subsequent fallout from the hanging makes me feel justified : even the Iraqi government thinks it was amateurly done and is considering at least a better job for the remaining 2 . The subsequent insults and cajoling / dancing that we later saw still smack of the lynch mob rather than a government sactioned hanging . What would it hurt anyone to do this with some dignity and a properly functioning-looking way , if for now other reason than to do so ?

My concern was mainly on how that show would come off , and events seem to be with my point of view thus far . A bit more pomp and circumstance would've at least shut up a few - too everyone's relief .

• 3 weeks later...