Weird Al Yankovic

Tenacious_Peaches

I cannot get Weird Al's parody of Chamillionaire's rap "Ridin' Dirty" out of my head. It's been out for a while and it has not grown old yet. Here's Weird Al's video "White and Nerdy".

As I was singing it earlier today, I realized Weird Al has been making me laugh for over 20 years. That's an impressive career for anyone, let alone a parody artist. He has been able stay relevant after all this time.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Fat - Parody of Michael Jackson's "Bad"

Bedrock Anthem - Parody of RHCP's "Under the Bridge" and "Give it Away"

Amish Paradise - Parody of Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise"

Feel free to discuss the genius that is Weird Al. :grin:

Edited by Guest
Shawna pointed out that I made a boo boo. Thanks for noticing, sister. I am horrified at my egregious error. Please forgive me, Songfactors.

I only got into him recently, but man, the guy is really clever. He has a lot of talent for writing lyrics, and ya gotta dig his polkas. From what I've heard, some people think his new stuff sucks, but I thought White and Nerdy is just as good as all his other stuff. Probably because it gets in touch with my nerditude. :P

Also, check out his parody of Eminem's Lose Yourself: Couch Potato. :grin:

Weird Al is a smart guy, knows how to market himself very well....mostly though, he's a pretty talented guy.

I was on vacation in Wildwood Crest, NJ a few years back and Weird Al was playing Convention Hall the night I was leaving. We drove down to Ocean City, Md. that afternoon and there was a sign on a local high school advertising Weird Al's appearance for the next night. He is willing to make appearances on the circuit that fits his career position and that's smart too.

Also, check out his parody of Eminem's Lose Yourself: Couch Potato. :grin:

"Couch Potato" is hilarious! I've never seen that before. It must have slipped under my Weird Al radar. The man cracks me up.

And I dig nerditude, Namahage. :thumbsup:

"I'm nerdy in the extreme,

whiter than sour cream.

I was in AV club and Glee club

and even the chess team.

The only question I ever thought was hard

Was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?

I spend every weekend

at the renaissance fair.

I got my name on my underwear!"

Feel free to discuss the genius that is Weird Al. :grin:

The fact that he consistently has hits and is cool with young people for going on 3 decades is incredible. He always has his finger on the pulse of pop culture and is ready to strike and make light of it and people who take themselves too seriously.

Parodies aside, the only other artist that I can think of that hits the mark consistently for that period of time to the current era, IMO, is Madonna.

In other words, can you name any artist other than Weird Al or Madonna that has hit after hit from the early 80's to today? Maybe Prince? ;)

Amish Paradise - Parody of Coolio's "Amish Paradise"

Forgive me, Peaches... but I can't escape my typo-grubbing birth defect. You meant "Gangsta's Paradise", didn'tcha? (or is it "Gangster's"?)

I was floored when my son asked me one night if I'd ever heard of Weird Al. His talent and popularity know no bounds - or age groups. My favorite is still "I Lost On Jeopardy" (Parody of a lesser-known song called "Our Love's In Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn). Hisss-terical.

And for those more die-hard individuals, he made a movie called "UHF" that I understand is quite funny - but you have to be a dedicated Weird Al fanatic.

• 3 weeks later...