How the Beatles Saved Rap & Hip Hop:

PaulEdwardWagemann

Well if you're just using how often artists sample the Beatles or use them in mashes, than you could easily replace the Beatles with Led Zeppelin. I'm not buying it. And rap is on it's last legs? Maybe as an art form, as there's no originality anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere.

Was that supposed to be a joke or something?

Anyways, I'm sick of hearing people say hip-hop is not a credible genre of music. I mean, most genres have sh*tty mainstream artists. Country has Toby Keith and the Dixie Chicks, rock has Aerosmith and Good Charlotte, pop has the 80's...and rap has 50 Cent and Lil Jon. However, there are tons of alternative hip-hop artists who really defy the mainstream and are bonafide musical and artistical geniuses. I'd get into reccomendations, but I fear your taste in music isn't quite strong enough.

Unless of course, this blog was supposed to be a satirical look at the Beatles' influence, in which case, well done! Very smart humor indeed.

Anyways, I'm sick of hearing people say hip-hop is not a credible genre of music. I mean, most genres have sh*tty mainstream artists. Country has Toby Keith and the Dixie Chicks, rock has Aerosmith and Good Charlotte, pop has the 80's...and rap has 50 Cent and Lil Jon. However, there are tons of alternative hip-hop artists who really defy the mainstream and are bonafide musical and artistical geniuses. I'd get into reccomendations, but I fear your taste in music isn't quite strong enough.

Unless of course, this blog was supposed to be a satirical look at the Beatles' influence, in which case, well done! Very smart humor indeed.

Amen! :bow: :thumbsup:

Let's face it, every Genre has it's good and bad artists and just because we don't like it, it would be unfair to say that everything is crap...

I'm not much into the Hip-Hop scene, so I can't really give much examples, but there are a few German bands that I really like :)

Oh yeah, Im sure Rap will always be around, I mean as long as there are talentless turds who cant sing and can barely ryme, there will alwasy be rap.

Similarly, as long as there are talentless self-absorbed turds who can't spell, can't type and are convinced the world deserves a generous slice of their fatuous and ill-informed opinion, there will always be bloggers.

You lost me when you dismissed the 80s - a decade renown for being the last of the innovative periods, musicwise. At this rate, berating one thing by making a sweeping generalisation is ironic in light of the fact you're trying to defend a genre renown for being crap from, gasp, other's sweeping generalisations :beatnik:

Before launching into fisticuffs arguing about how horrible rap is, visit this thread. It covers almost every argument. I also have given up trying to convince people rap is not all bad.

I think saying the Beatles saved hip hop is too broad of a statement, because I don't think rap was in trouble and had to be saved. They did however, help to start and influence it.

You lost me when you dismissed the 80s - a decade renown for being the last of the innovative periods, musicwise. At this rate, berating one thing by making a sweeping generalisation is ironic in light of the fact you're trying to defend a genre renown for being crap from, gasp, other's sweeping generalisations :beatnik:

It was mostly a joke, I actually think the 80's were awesome...for alternative. I was just saying that 80's pop isn't so good. Of course, I guess that depends on your defeinition of pop. I can't stand Madonna and the like, but I love Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, etc.

But if you can show me a good 80's pop album I'd be more than happy to give it a try.

Well, I cannot force you to like something you don't. Even if I didn't like Madonna - which I do - I'd have to face the fact that nobody else before her was able to build an empire on image alone. This may sound counter-intuitive in the world of music, but this is Pop music and image counts. Who else have you heard be referred to as a "Pop cultural chameleon"? David Bowie? But he's not really blatant Pop, right? Madonna's debut album and some of the subsequent singles are some of the best Pop music ever conceived. The proof is in the puddin :beatnik:

Good Pop albums from the 80s:

- Madonna and Like A Virgin by Madonna

- Thriller and Bad by Michael Jackson

- Purple Rain by Prince (another Pop cultural chameleon)

- Please and Actually by The Pet Shop Boys

- Affection by Lisa Stanfield

- Super Trouper and The Visitors by ABBA (the group pretty much reigns supreme as the world's best Pop music)

- Tell It To My Heart and Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dane

I get the idea - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you are thinking of Bubblegum Pop/Teen Idol stuff the likes of New Kids On The Block, Menudo, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, plus all the garbage produced in the UK. There was also a lot of cheezy Italodisco, which, to me, sounds great, but I can see how they would not be taken seriously. This still does not deter from the fact the 80s had some solid Pop albums that could dwarf anything made thereafter in terms of quality. Seriously, where are the next Madonnas and Michael Jacksons and ABBAs?