Best Jam Songs!

Danielj

The essence of rock, jazz, blues, and many other genres of music is the JAM! My favorite part of music, is just getting a groove going and playing what fits. At school we have coffee houses where people and their bands can play. Me and a couple other guys just get up and play whatever songs we know, and jam them out. Problem is, we're burning ou the song quickly, so we need ideas.

For those of you who don't know, a jamming on a song (I know the word is clichéd, but it really is correct) is just taking it and improvising over the chord progression, really a lot of fun, spontaneous soloing.

Classic jam examples:

- Everything by the Grateful Dead and Allman Bros pretty much.

- Down by the river, Cowgirl in the sand etc. By Neil Young

- Anything live from Led Zeppelin

- Herbie Hancock

- Everything by the Grateful Dead and Allman Bros pretty much.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Was just coming in to mention both of these. For jamming, it's best to get bootleg live cuts ;)

Stevie Ray Vaughan - best blues jams ever! :thumbsup:

Who else? String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Rusted Root, Blues Traveler and Dave Matthews Band (earlier stuff and live), ummmm...Phish, of course.

I'll think of more, I'm sure :grin:

some good jam albums

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Miles Davis - any live album

Santana - Live at the Filmore West (or East? not sure)

Santana is an amazing live performer. His jams with his band are still awesome (even if they don't live up to Soul Sacrifice on the Woodstock video, but then, what does?).

Sometimes it's fun to jam to a basic chord progression. Last year, I was hanging out in the hall, and about 6 people had instruments with them for some reason (mostly guitars), and then we got 4 more people to borrow instruments from the band room and we jammed in e minor and d. It was so freaking sweet. We had an egg shaker.