How Good Of A Drummer was Ringo?

Listen up people.

If Steve Smith likes Ringo, Ringo is pretty damn good. You don't have to have a lot of flash to be good, you just have to get in there and do it, day in and day out, and Ringo did just that. Ringo also sang while drumming, which not many drummers have done since.

And speaking of "not the best drummer in the band," I hear Eddie Van Halen is an excellent drummer...

• 1 month later...

first thing, ringo doesn't get a lot of street cred because a)he was a drummer b)played behind 3 giants, and by giants i mean the biggest giants out there, and c)well, we all know his real name is richard starky.

Also, i believe ringo was quite flashy, i think i read somewhere an article in reader's digest on the Beatles talking about he was always wearing flashy jewelry, etc. I'm not sure if that's the flash everyone is talking about, but fyi

I don't hate Ringo, don't love him, but did tell us about an octopus's garden, about getting by and high with a little help from his friends, and he backed the best band ever!

p.s.-i think we're all spinning our wheels on this one

On an unrelated note, I don't think Charlie Watts gets the credit he deserves either.

At the end of the day this is all that matters: Both of these guys served as drummer for arguably the biggest (best?) rock bands in history. The workhorses of the bands, they did what was required of them, show after show, album after album. They kept the beat. What could possibly be more important in a Rock & Roll band?

Both have had successful and possibly more satisfying solo careers, Look at Watts. The man is a jazz drummer, and was an accomplished musician well before being asked to join the Rolling Stones. That's why they asked him to join. Watts released several acclaimed albums in the 90's, (in 1996 his album Long Ago & Far Away spent 15 weeks on the US Jazz charts at #6, better than any recent Stones release), and is still doing his solo work today. He's often said the Rolling Stones were his job, his jazz work is his love.

I dearly love this story tht I've heard many times and just found at wiki again. I find it totally believable:

" A famous anecdote has him punching a drunken Mick Jagger in a hotel in the mid-1980s. After a full night of partying, Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room early in the morning asking where "his drummer" was. Watts reportedly got up, shaved, got dressed in a custom-made suit, put on a crisply knotted tie and freshly shined shoes, came downstairs, and punched him, saying "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my f*cking singer!" "

:D