Something to ponder

Batman

so heres something to ponder. Why do you like the music you like? At first I would like to say because my favorite bands are very musically talented, but then again, Mozart is musically talented, so why don't I like him?

I've always wondered why I like the music I like, and then I start not liking it, until I stop thinking about it, but then I start to like it again.

:rockon: weird. :rockon:

Discuss.

I like it, because to me, it's somewhat personal, & something I can keep with me just about anywhere my travels take me. I don't pay attention to commercial music, or for reasons of "fitting in" If the music I enjoy gets me labeled as an outcast, then I can face the music. I've spent too much time in the past trying to find meaning out of song, instead of harmonizing up for melodic composition, like most others do. Anything with precision, devotion, biased & poignant significance as well as asceticism, impropriety, & even immoral proficiency are ideals I ponder whilst listening to the music of my taste. I find uninhibited antagonism, clearly written & identifiable, even to an inconsiderate degree.

I have the opposite thought process, or maybe it's a lack of thought! :laughing: I don't think I've ever tried to figure out why I choose the music I listen to. The songs I enjoy either have a melody/music that "speaks" to me, or lyrics that I relate to. Some have both! That sounds vague but it's the best way I can describe it. I have a tough time answering the question, "what kind of music do you listen to?" I've never answered the same way twice. The 'feel' of the music usually is what draws me. It's easier to say that I generally don't like Heavy Metal, Grunge, hard core Rap - anything in which the music is harsh or abrasive. Just about any other genre of music has something I enjoy. Mood has a lot to with it. :)

• 1 month later...

I love Mozart :) I like a lot of different kinds of music. There have been times when I have genuinely started by hating a band, and then suddenly find myself listening to more of their work :headphones: If there is one thing I'd pinpoint as the reason behind my music choices, it would be nostalgia. It's a fun way to reminisce about the past, good times, and such. Sometimes people forget about themselves trying to get to to-morrow as fast as possible without stopping to contemplate and ponder the now. I play them a song, life slows down, the scenery changes colours, and everything gains clarity - suddenly they enter into this Proustian time warp, a smile strewn across their face, and they recall times when things were either simpler or happier, or maybe something sad but long gone. I'd say nostalgia is one of the major factors of how people choose the music they listen to. Of course, there's nothing wrong with listening to contemporaries and different things: Either as an extension of the genre one used to listen to or something entirely fresh and new :headphones:

I agree, the music picks me. My tastes are all over the place. It's just a matter of whether it is played well and enjoyed by the ones playing it. I can't stand "music snobs", people who generalize and say "I hate country, or rap, or metal, or classical" You need to take the time to listen and see where the music and the mood take you. I have been pleasantly surprised many times. Like the time my son made me listen to an Insane Clown Posse song.Do they even call those songs? Nasty as it was, I was in the mood to find it comical and I actually liked the beat. I was too scared to listen to anymore though! :o

I'd have to say I like alot of the music I listen to isbecause of my dad and his obsession with playing the drums and having the upmost respect for creators of solos like Bonzo's "Moby Dick".But then again alot of music I discovered on my own and I don't necessarily know why. I do know I've always tried not to let what others think about certain group affect my first opinion of them. I just like what pleases me I guess.

I agree with the saying that the music picks me. I live in china and it is difficult for me to get good western music due to lack of knowledge at that time( actually until i hav not improved much :o) and lack of resources in the market.

A lot of time I brought the cds just because the cover is attractive or the title is meaningful to me. In the end I had a lot of great great music which accompanied me till now...

I recall that when I read, and subsequently watched, The Glass Menagerie there was this bit at the start about all memory being set to music. I kind of liked that.

A lot of music I listen to is music I grew up with. My parents always played the Guess Who, the Beatles, Van Morrison and other stuff like that when I was a kid. It kind of grew on me after a while.

Otherwise, it is really hard to say why I would listen to the music I like ... something to ponder indeed ...

I'd have to say that in a lot of cases I select tunes because I can identify with them on some level. And yet on the other hand, a lot of my favourites I could not make that statement for.

Other times its the sound of the instruments ... sometimes a really good guitar solo can move me in ways that nothing else can. I'm sure everyone knows that feeling.

Anyway, I listen to songs I connect with in some way, musically, lyrically, or even spiritually. That's why my tastes are all over they place. I could find a country song that I like because the lyrics remind me of home or something, and then hear another song by the same artist and think it was one of the worst songs ever recorded. Likewise, I could have some death metal playing because it reminded me of how I felt on some day when the world seemed like it was going down the toilet, but then if I listen to some other band in the genre I could just think it was yelling.

Anyway, music is memory, and memory is music.

• 4 months later...

I have no logical explanation for my music tastes - as someone said above - it picks me.

Whether its just a beat in the background that draws you in, or some rocking vocals that stick in your head, theres gotta be something subliminally that makes you want MORE!