A Beatles survey

Ana22682

Hi, I know this is a pain but it people could reply to this it would be sooo helpful. Thanks so much in advance to responders.

Hi, I'm doing some research on the pop-cultural impact of the Beatles, mainly focusing on their appeal to so many generations. I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me some educated opinions on my questions. All questions (example: why were they so successful? Is based on a social context, not a strictly musical context) Thanks so much in advance, your help is appreciated. Answers will be used in a HSC society and culture research project, namely the Personal Interest Project. All names will be kept confidential and answers will be displayed as educated opinions only.

1. What was it about the Beatles, in your opinion, that made them so influential?

2. Would you agree that ?Beatle mania' was one of the most incredible social phenomenons in history?

3. Do you think that a lot of the Beatles incredible success was because they were in-tune with what was happening in society, or do you think that the same music would be equally as successful in our modern era?

4. Why do you think was the reason Beatles appealed to so many people in their prime-popularity?

5. Why do you think that the Beatles music has appealed to so many generations?

6. Why do you think the Beatles music appeals to so many age groups? (That is, from small children to elderly adults?)

7. What was it about the Beatles music that attracted you're interest?

8. Do you think that another band could make it as big in the future, and what are your reasons for thinking this?

9. Do you think the Beatles had an influence on factors like fashion, drug use and haircuts?

10. Anything else you would like to add?

• 9 months later...

Disclaimer: I was born in 1985.

1. What was it about the Beatles, in your opinion, that made them so influential?

The Beatles were influential because they drew from much more diversified influences themselves, and that drew people to learn from their music.

2. Would you agree that ?Beatle mania' was one of the most incredible social phenomenons in history?

I am not a History major, nor a Sociology major, but sure, why not.

3. Do you think that a lot of the Beatles incredible success was because they were in-tune with what was happening in society, or do you think that the same music would be equally as successful in our modern era?

The Beatles would not have been as successful in our modern era because it is much more cycnical and people need more complexity to be impressed. The Beatles had a very simple sound, and it worked with the 60's.

4. Why do you think was the reason Beatles appealed to so many people in their prime-popularity?

Because there was nothing objectionable to anyone young at that time, and there wasn't a lot of competition.

It carries a simple charm, I think. It's just pure, they're singing from the heart, and I think people can feel that.

6. Why do you think the Beatles music appeals to so many age groups? (That is, from small children to elderly adults?)

Simplicity.

Their influences before them, and artists influenced by them.

8. Do you think that another band could make it as big in the future, and what are your reasons for thinking this?

No, sadly. I think the world is far too cycnical and "non-conformist" to all come together and dig a band just because they're great. I mean there's people who dislike bands just because they're popular.

9. Do you think the Beatles had an influence on factors like fashion, drug use and haircuts?

Of course, popular musicans always influence fashion, drug use and haircuts.

I love the Beatles.

I noticed we have Beatles discussions in many threads... I´m alone right now and I´m listening to "Please, please me"... what a bunch of beautiful songs... I guess I should have had enough by now but that music still sounds as a lullaby to me...

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I have a few "rebuttals" to "ImThatGuyToo". I realize this is an opinion-based topic (much less one that's almost a year old), but I'm very defensive about The Beatles. "ThatGuy", please understand there is no disrespect intended!

I agree with most of what you posted, save for a few items:

#3 - I don't think you can answer this question. It's like asking if Bonds could've hit Cy Young or Ruth could've hit Randy Johnson. We'll never know. Pop music would be completely different if it weren't for The Beatles 40 years ago. If pop had stayed in the Elvis/Everly Brothers vein until now, sure, The Beatles would probably be as popular as they were in the 60's. If someone else had caused the evolution, then who knows? The Beatles were the first step in a natural progression, and they caused the other dominos to fall.

They not only revolutionized pop music, but the record industry, recording/studio techniques, touring and merchandising. If not for that, who knows how greedy and cynical the industry would be today?

They were also the first to write their own music on a large scale, so how would their absence affect people like James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello, Elton John and even contemporary artists like John Mayer and Tori Amos?

It's kind of like trying to count to ten without knowing the numbers one through nine.

#4 - There was certainly nothing objectionable to kids, I would guess, but there was plenty of controversy. "Bigger Than Jesus". "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds". The cover of "Two Virgins". The line "I'd love to turn you on" in "A Day In The Life". The original cover of "Yesterday And Today". Paul admitted he took LSD.

They surely weren't considered without flaws, morality-wise.

Lack of competition? Maybe not in the early careers, unless you count say, Elvis, Phil Spector, Motown, The Stones, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, The Beach Boys. But consider the following albums released the same year as Beatles' albums:

"Rubber Soul" (1965)

Dylan "Highway 61 Revisited"

The Who "Sings My Generation"

The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man"

The Impressions "People Get Ready"

The Kinks "Kontroversy"

"Revolver" (1966)

The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"

Dylan "Blonde On Blonde"

Simon & Garfunkel "Parsley, Sage..." and "Sounds Of Silence"

Ike & Tina "River Deep Mountain High"

Cream "Fresh Cream"

Donovan "Sunshine Superman"

"Sgt. Pepper's..." (1967)

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold As Love"

The Doors "The Doors"

Aretha "I Never Loved A Man"

Cream "Disraeli Gears"

Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"

Jefferson Airplane "Surrealistic Pillow"

The Moody Blues "Days Of Future Passed"

"The White Album" (1968) -

Van Morrison "Astral Weeks"

Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland"

The Stones "Beggar's Banquet"

The Band "Music From The Big Pink"

Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison"

James Brown "Live At The Apollo"

Otis Redding "Dock Of The Bay"

Iron Butterfly "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida"

"Abbey Road" (1969) -

The Stones "Let It Bleed"

Led Zeppelin "I" and "II"

The Who "Tommy"

CCR "Green River"

CSN "Crosby, Stills & Nash"

Blind Faith "Blind Faith"

The Temptations "Cloud Nine"

"Let It Be" (1970) -

Neil Young "After The Goldrush"

Derek And The Dominoes "Layla"

Van Morrison "Moondance"

S&G "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Santana "Abraxas"

Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath"

Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World"

Elton John "Tumbleweed Connection"

The Jackson 5 "ABC"

So there was plenty of competition, regarding popularity and innovation. It was the response to the competition that made The Beatles (and all the artists above) so great.

OK, big apologies for my little rant, and again, "ThatGuy", no offense intended. Obviously you're a big fan too; I just don't think you can stress the importance of The Beatles enough.

question #3

I believe if the Beatles existed today, they would be just as popular as the 60's....look at a few of the bands that did last through all the years...stones, aerosmith has been around a long time also...they adjusted their music or sound to the changing of the times...i believe the Beatles would of done the same, they definitely had the talent to do so....ok well that's my opinion :)

[quote

it was because they came at the right time. they came dring the hippie movement, well the hippies came the beatles hiehgt of sucess.

yes. Definetly

i think it's a mixture of both. like i said before, they came at a time when the "mania" started, teenage girls thought they were singing to them, then as the beatles orginal fans got i college, and because all like "peace, man", they followed with the hippy-like scandelic (sound it out you'll know what i mean) music. it depended on timing and the openhearted ness of the generation. that particlaur genration was waiting for some type of generational upheaval.

see above

some people listento the beatles becausee they think it seems cool, and it does. i listen becaue i like their sound. he reason it seems "cool" to listen to the beatles is because that shows tht you have respect.

because they music almost sounded like it's from different bands. there things like when i'm sixty-four, which is very big-band like, to birthday, which is very hyper and good to dance to, as a child.

i heard come together on the radio - and asked to have it turned up - i thought it was a new song!!!

no.

YES

10. Anything else you would like to add? nope :coolio: :headphones:

Disclaimer: I was born in 1985.

[4. Why do you think was the reason Beatles appealed to so many people in their prime-popularity?

Because there was nothing objectionable to anyone young at that time, and there wasn't a lot of competition.

Glad you included your discalimer .. it explains a lot. I might write from a perspective such as yours if I answered a survey on how The Depression impacted my life.... I know it did, but I'm not really sure how.

To really understand the Beatles, one must understand a little of the surroundings in which they ascended.

Like so many, I am a "Babyboomer," those conceived when veterans returned from WWII (starting to be discharged in Europe around 1939) and coming home to establish families as late as 1952. Though this catastrophic war was over and a new generation was exploding in numbers, the darkening threat of an even more terrible global war permeated into every aspect of world culture. The eventual outcome of the perception of one nation's desire for domination and another nation's defense against domination, caused parents to seriously look at digging holes in their backyards into which they might one day have to stuff their children in order to perserve their lives. We, as children, were regularly drilled on the techniques of huddling under our desks at school at a moment's notice. I recall having the general direction of Wright-Patterson Air Force base pointed out to me and it explained that would be the probable origin of the blast force should we see a mushroom shaped cloud arise from a very bright light. No one talked much about fear, but everyone lived in it. Or tried to escape it through whatever means possible to them.

Important to remember as well; the living two generations before the Boomers, though proud they had survived 2 world wars, were too saddened about the world they prepared for us to want to hear us complain about it. The young were taught to be silent and respectful.

I was 14 when the Beatles first global hit song was played on my hometown AM rock station in Dayton, Ohio. I had always enjoyed music and gravitated toward Rock and Roll where the message seemed to be, "The old ways are not my ways; a new time is at hand." The first time I heard "I Want To Hold Your Hand," I thought, "What's the big deal?" But then I watched along with almost everyone else when The Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan. These guys were having fun! They didn't care what Ed (or any older person) thought about their appearance or their desire to laugh at the absurdities around them .. they actually enjoyed their youth, proud of being alive with potential and were excited about life. And they were speaking aloud from their guts while wrapping those thoughts in catchy melodies. Fear was not part of their agenda. And unlike the fearless Marlon Brando/James Dean message of cynical rebellion that seemed to exhort, "Rip down the old and throw it out into the garbage heap where it belongs," The Beatles message resounded in each new song they recorded, "Build up the new, in spite of what circumstances brought us to the place we find ourselves." Faced with the two platforms of change through anarchy or through love, most (not all) chose love.

That the Beatles were so very musically gifted and creatively attuned to the emotional needs of the world community, were the one-two punches that secured their place in the forefront of musical and emotional evolution that travelled from from "..lay off my blue suede shoes" to "..love is all you need."

The Stones, The Who and other offshoots capitalized on appeal to the "tear it down" crowd (well represented) with "Get Off My Cloud" and "Won't Get Fooled Again." However, the majority of Boomers preferred remaining non-combative. They wanted instead to expand their hearts and minds and become saviors of what can be good about mankind. The Beatles music is permeated by this theme of, "Yes, much is wrong, but WE TOGETHER can make it better because I ALONE can make a difference." This is the core of their appeal to the majority of any generation. Because those who seek to destroy will always be in the minority of mankind.

As to the comment that their music was "simplistic." I would say that like all profundity, there is a surface meaning and a deeper thematic meaning to nearly all their work. Angst, greed, danger, self doubt are all themes explored regularly just below the surface of words they entwined around love, peace and understanding. Who would call "Nowhere Man" or "Eleanor Rigby" or "Penny Lane" simple songs? Only the lazy who will not look below the surface of simply beautiful music.

It was a pretty profound guy who once said:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

The music, the way they started as a pop band, wrote great pop records then grew up started pushing boundaries to a line that no one else dared to cross, and the fact that the records are that good.... and 40 years on we're still looking for a band to get close to competing with them.

yeah, absolutely....incredible scenes, a bit ridiculous at times but phenomenal...

i dont necessarily think it was because they were in tune with what was happening in society, I think they filled a huge void in the 60's they were young, beautiful, exciting, the kids could dig it.....and as i said, great music.... if music's good, a vast majority of people will get excited and be influenced by it....

Great music, cool image...

because it really is timeless, it just sounds so fresh, i was in bed last night and i had sgt.pepper on my headphone set....incredible...

6. Why do you think the Beatles music appeals to so many age groups? (That is, from small children to elderly adults?) cos it's for everyone, their range of music covers all ages from 3 to 64!?

great melody, i can remember being 14 and listening to guns n roses and nirvana, and i remember waking up one morning and my eldest brother had the 'Help!' album on, and i can remember hearing the title track and then 'You've got to hide your love away' and thinking, great melody, great lyrics...gimme some more of that....

no, not a chance. The Beatles were of their time , they came along at a time when there was a bit of a void, and they made such an impact that cant be made again, we've had 100's of wannabe's since then, all different types of bands and no one causes the stir that they did, no one has made consistently good albums like them or put out as many good albums, singles.....people forget the beatles put out rubber soul, revolver, pepper, magical mystery tour the white album, abbey road and let it be inside 4 years!? and it takes coldplay and oasis 3 years to make a record that is strictly average? look at u2's last 3 records spanning 8 years? its laughable compared to the beatles.....

absolutely, you only have to look at how many other bands copied their hairstyles, my mum told me of stories of all the lads having their hair like that at school.....im not sure they influenced drug use? they probably did....?

Best band ever.....no one can touch em. I like em anyway!

i've got heartburn. :-(

They were incredibly young when they hit popularity, yet they wrote their own songs had a lot of say in how their music sounded. They never tried to always sound like "The Beatles;" with each album they grew musically and artistically

I would agree. They started the whole boyband-mass marketing idea.

I don't think "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" would stand up today. Kids are too sex-savy for that.

They were so young! Each Beatle appealed to a certain sensibility, yet you could like the whole band too.

It is simply good music, well crafted. The Beatles knew how to use every note, every lyric to its full advantage.

See answer to number 5

7. What was it about the Beatles music that attracted your interest?

The first Beatles song I heard was Penny Lane and they just sounded so happy singing that song

Bands certainly have made it as big as The Beatles, popularity wise and financial wise, but I don't think any other band could have the charm the Beatles have.

The certainly had an influence on fashion and hair cuts, as well as the way we look at celebrity--Paul and Jane Asher were as written about then as Justin and Cameron are today.

I love The Beatles and always will. They fascinate me, and I was born five years after they broke up. They will always live in pop culture and popular influence.

Let's try to put this question in perspective. I think the civil rights movement and the implosion of the soviet bloc were incredible social phenomena. Beatlemania enriched the lives of many, but it didn't change the world.

Let's try to put this question in perspective. I think the civil rights movement and the implosion of the soviet bloc were incredible social phenomena. Beatlemania enriched the lives of many, but it didn't change the world.

Yep. Beatlemania was a social phenomenon, but not one of the biggest. Christianism, penicillin, internet, electricity, wwII, jazz, etc. were also big phenomenons. Beatles coincidd with the big start of the medias: radio, TV, record industry... the world was getting well comunicated and the Beatles had the opportunity to be heard and seen worldwide as never before.

I´m a Beatles fan, I was six when they released "Please, please me", my dad gave me the record and I loved them ever since then.

I think we're getting off off the track, here.

As far as keeping it in perspective, true, they didn't rock the societal aspect of the world.

But, as far as the perspective of music, they did change things, that cannot be denied.

I guess it all depends on what 'perspective' you're talking about.

I was born in 1989, so my answers probably aren't quite as valid, but oh well

1. They were influential because they knew exactly what the public wanted

2. In music, beatlemania was one of the greatest phenomenons, but in history, I don't think so.

3. I'd say another band couldn't be as popular today. People would rather be amazed with stuff like fast guitars, loud guitars, or gigantic breasts. What I mean is that in rock, all that seems to amaze people these days is speed and volume, and in pop if you want to be succesful now you need to be incredibly good looking. Also, the Beatles were long lasting, but today, people like things that are good for a while then disappear. People like one-hit wonders, and novelty bands, and trying to pretend that they have just found "the next big thing." No band could have the same longetivity, because everyone wants to think that they listen to underground music. Basically, popularity=unpopularity, now.

4. If you mean in Beatlemania, I think their image had a lot to do with it. But later in their career it was just because they made good music.

5. Because it's simple, like thatguy said. Also, the Beatles kind of encompass all pop music since the 60s. Plus, they did so many different genres, there is something for everyone. To be more specific, though, old people like it because of the softer edged music, unlike most of what was coming out of the 60s. The middle aged people like it because it was what they listened to as kids. Teens like it for their psychadelic stuff. And I can't really tell why little kids like what they like, but they seem to like the Beatles. Probably because it's simple.

6. Isn't this the same question as #5?

7. Well I didn't really like the Beatles until I heard my dad put on the song "Good Morning" in the car. I thought it was pretty good, so I got "1." At first I was thinking "isn't this what I allways thought Beatles music was like?" And then I got to the later years, and I thought it was really good. Then I got "Seargant Peppers" "Magical Mystery Tour" and "The White Album".

8. See question #3

9. Yes

10. The Beatles aren't the greatest band ever, but there is nothing wrong with them. Kind of like Napoleon Dynamite, there is nothing wrong with it, but it's not the best movie ever.

Love them or hate them it is hard to suggest that they aren't the greatest band ever...who were better?...... They were a phenomenon and they still are. They still sell more albums every year than most bands could dream of selling in a lifetime...that doesn't mean they were good, but it indicates the continuing impact that they have had for 40 years plus.

A good dinner party question is to try and name two songs by the Beatles that sound the same....very difficult. Any band that you can tell who they are one bar of the song in, and they still sound unique...awesome songwriting.

George Martin certainly was the fifth Beatle and, although they would have been successful without him, I doubt that they would have had the impact that they did.

I'm not that keen on them myself...but I do accept that, taking everything into consideration, there has been nothing like them before or since....so KUDOS :coolio:

Every time I come to songfacts, I learn something. But in my defense...

1. About the simplicity, I didn't say it to try to disrespect the Beatles in any way, I meant it as more of a compliment!

2. About the competition, I meant early Beatles. Once you get into a band, you still listen to their music, right? But I love the list you gave me, I never thought of the Beatles and Zeppelin as being competitive, but I guess in 1970 they were.

Thanks to the people that replied to my post, I always appreciate the dialogue here. :)

I never thought of the Beatles and Zeppelin as being competitive, but I guess in 1970 they were.

I remember by late 60´s when the ´daughters of President Nixon said they prefered Led Zepellin rather than The Beatles (strange..) ... that was the first time Beatles were not number one in the popularity charts. This is a memory back from my teens, it´s not that clear for me, but I recall I was aware then of the growing popularity of LZ... yes, they were competitve in the end...

In the beginning, The Beatles were unique and had huge, immediate success. It doesn't take much more to have the world turn it's eyes your way than that. Once they went beyond the introductory hype, it became evident that the music was amazing. Once that happens you influence fans, other musicians, the media and more.

Definitely. To me social phenomenons mean change. In the big picture of society, the world started looking different. Longer hair was popular, British music (The British Invasion) was launched, Nehru jackets, indian music, you name it, if the Beatles did it, said it, or thought it, millions of people emulated it. That might not be important social change, but it definitely changed our society as a whole.

The majority ofBeatles music wasn't blatantly, socially relevant. Many of the songs were introspective and biographical. Even the songs that had more social characteristics (Revolution) weren't specific to the time. It was about general themes. I think the Beatles would thrive in current times using the same basic musical themes.

4. Why do you think was the reason Beatles appealed to so many people in their prime-popularity? First, the music, it is almost universally loved, if not, at least, appreciated. Plus, we knew them. We saw A Hard Days Night, Help. We read about them, saw them on TV, read about them daily in the newspaper. We immortalized them in cartoons. We imitated their mannerisms. We used their slang. We laughed at their humor. We enjoyed their Christmas messages.

5. Why do you think that the Beatles music has appealed to so many generations? Any cultural phenomenon can die unless it passed from generation to generation. If the music was so darned good, The Beatles would have been another popular band that lasted a few years and faded away. But we loved and listened to it, we wanted our kids to hear it, they grew up with it and they became fans. It's the same reason my kids are Mets fans instead of Yankee fans. I am an avid Mets fan and they grew up in that environment.

6. Why do you think the Beatles music appeals to so many age groups? (That is, from small children to elderly adults?) Because their music runs the gamut from ballads to hard rockers. there is something for everyone. My Mom still says the Beatles were the greatest group ever. Remember, my mom was a bobby-soxer sneaking into New York to see Frank Sinatra. The reason Mom loves the Beatles is very simple, beautiful songs, with understandable lyrics and wonderful harmony. She doesn't care about social relevance. Mom thinks Paul has the greatest singing voice ever.My oldest son is about to turn 16.He is a musician and listens to The Beatles to learn how to craft a perfect song. How to tie all those instrumnets together. How to harmonize. How to play subtle guitar, drums and bass. How to take a song up and down. Once again, it's all about the music.

My sister is six years older than me. She was 12 in 1964 when The Beatles hit. I was 6 and soaking it all in like a sponge. I'm a child of the TV age (black and white at first)

My earliest memories are of that music, those images, those four guys..I couldn't get enough. By the time I was 12, the Beatles had packed it in, but the music was a part of me. It will never change.

No. It's like being at the beginning of a pyramid scheme. The first ones in have the greatest success. Once others realize this is an option, they enter the pyramid. In my opinion the Beatles are the best rock band ever. They were also the first to really make big money off rock. Elvis paled in comparison dollar to dollar. Back then, thinking you could make a living as a musician was crazy. In one interview with George Harrison circa 1964, he says he hopes the Beatles last long enough for him to make enough money to open up a shop. They did. Now, any group with one hit song is set for life. The competition is fierce. The outlets for the music are much greater now though. Modern times can support many more bands. There is MTV, millions of radio stations, the internet, magazines...the Beatles had LP's, 45's, live concerts, a few AM radio stations and the movies.

9. Do you think the Beatles had an influence on factors like fashion, drug use and haircuts? Sure. I previously menationed the long hair (which wasn't really very long at all), their clothes, their mannerisms...everything was copied. Drug use is interesting because the Beatles had the good guy image and drugs were a big negative image. I think they had the influence on kids that didn't use drugs because they beleived the Beatles were clean. They were powerful role models.

10. Anything else you would like to add? I probably said enough, good luck with your research.

Drug use is interesting because the Beatles had the good guy image and drugs were a big negative image. I think they had the influence on kids that didn't use drugs because they beleived the Beatles were clean. They were powerful role models.

10. Anything else you would like to add? I probably said enough, good luck with your research.

You´re so right once more about this, RonJon... unfortunately, their influence on young kids on that field (drugs) vanished when The Rolling Stones ( :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: though...) told us about brown sugar, mother´s little helpers and cocaine eyes. Then came Lou Reed with a clear message about heroin and by the end of the seventies it was all a mess...