Classifying music genres

angel

I am so confused I still don’t know the difference between JAZZ, POP and RNB actually song such as Rock, Love Song and Old Song are the only songs I can classify would you like to help me with this thanks by the way I am Elvis Presley fanatic hehehe if anyone know anything that has to do with his work just inform me thanks… ;)

Edited by Guest
title change

Welcome to Songfacts, Angel! A good place to start is here on the site. Look around. The majority of the songs people are talking about are classic rock. Not being a big fan of R&B, I can not help you out there. There are several different kinds of music that gets classified as Jazz. I like Big Band (Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington to start with) and Be Bop (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Horace Silver being some of my favorites) as well as John Coltrane, Chet Baker, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Wynton and Bradford Marsalis are a few others I like. I avoid like the plague Kenny G or any other Jazz that has the adjective "Smooth" in front of it because it is elevator music. Dixie Land also gets put under the Jazz Umbrella, as does Louis Armstrong. Hope that gets you started. There is a wealth of information on this site, so dig in!

Each time I see this thread I think "go see a psychiatrist." :P

As for labelling music...as Farin said, I think it's necessary. You shouldn't label too much, e.g. nu-acid-jazz-rock is a bit too much (doesn't exist, but you get my drift), but to be able to understand what other people are talking about it's much easier to just name it.

I think that the sentence that may have caused elie ire was, "I avoid like the plague Kenny G or any other Jazz that has the adjective "Smooth" in front of it because it is elevator music." I did not put "in my opinion" at the end of that statement because everything I type is my opinion and thought it to be redundant. If you happen to be a fan of Kenny G, a thousand pardons.....

you really shouldnt label music

I don't know exactly whom this comment is directed at, but as it pertains to the original poster's question -it's actually good advice (from a pragmatic perspective).

If a music listener doesn't have enough experience to distinguish what the "labels" mean, he or she has the advantage of not being burdened with preconceptions. Which is a good thing.

It's the difference between being a music lover and being pigeonholed with a particular demographic identity.

Everything I just wrote probably went right over angel's head. My advice: listen to whatever turns you on. Listening to Elvis might lead you to the artists who loved Elvis, like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and listening to those bands might lead you to others. When you learn who influenced who your perception of "labels" will probably change.

That's my two-and-a-half cents.