8. American Woman :: Lenny Kravitz

7. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds :: Elton John

6. Live And Let Die :: Guns 'N Roses

5. Blinded By The Light :: Manfred Mann's Earth Band

4. With A Little Help From My Friends :: Joe Cocker

3. You Really Got Me :: Van Halen

2. Knocking On Heaven’s Door :: Guns 'N Roses

1. All Along The Watch Tower :: Jimi Hendrix

You were tried to get Shatner's Lucy In The Sky... to make the list instead of voting for these next 5:

Turn The Page :: Metallica

Whiskey In The Jar :: Metallica

Ain't To Proud To Beg :: Rolling Stones

Helter Skelter :: U2

Hurt :: Johnny Cash

Interesting suggestions we heard while beating up the Shatner fan:

America :: Yes

Magical Mystery Tour :: Cheap Trick

Smells Like Teen Spirit :: Paul Anka

When Will I Be Loved :: Linda Ronstadt (the Shatner guy was shouting those last two)

For her impassioned versions of the originals which (mostly) succeeded, I finally found a version of John Lennon's "Imagine" that I could listen to. That would be The Unknown Songstress of Washington, D.C., Eva Cassidy. She did a very interesting version of "Fields of Gold" and a spirited version of "Cheek to Cheek." (Then there's "True Colors," but that's another Blix Street release.) :afro:

RonJon....At one time it would upset me when I had to bear through someone's cover of a Beatles song. To me their songs were sacred. Then I saw the Sgt Pepper's movie in the late 70's and when Aerosmith did Come Together I was quite surprised.

I still think covering a Beatles song is sinful with the exception of Come Together by Aerosmith. It is definitely one of the best covers of all time.

I am such a fan of "I Am The Walrus" that I never thought a cover would fly. One day (when it was easy to download good stuff) I went and found about 10 different versions of "I Am The Walrus" and most were suprisingly good. I also found a recording studio rarity of the original song, stripped of all production and vocals. It was the drums, bass, and guitars....fantastic.

Since this is in the "Classic Rock" forum, I'm wondering whether it's the song or the cover artist that has to be "classic".

Here's a swiftly concocted Top Ten of classic songs covered by punk/post-punk/alt-rock/new-wave (or similar) artists.

1) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Devo

2) Dear Prudence - Siouxsie And The Banshees

3) Victoria - The Fall

4) Knights In White Satin - The Dickies

5) Sha La La La Lee - Plastic Bertrand

6) Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Slits

7) You've Lost That Loving Feeling - The Human League

8) Iron Man - The Cardigans

9) My Boyfriend's Back - Alice Donut

10) Sunshine Of Your Love - Fudge Tunnel

A few more great covers:

• "Signs" by Tesla (originally by Five-Man Electrical Band)
  • "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" by Warren Zevon (who was doing precisely that when he recorded his version for his last album The Wind)
  • "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (all eleven minutes of it)
  • "Every Little Thing" by Yes (originally by the Beatles; Yes's version appears on their first album)
  • "Superstition" by Stevie Ray Vaughan (originally by Stevie Wonder)
  • "Little Wing " by Derek and the Dominos (originally by Jimi Hendrix; Vaughan also did a pretty good version of this)