Elton John, Sydney Australia

katie_sane

Last night we went to see Elton John in concert at the Sydney Entertainment Centre!

It takes about two and a half hours to drive from here to Sydney and we got there in time to buy a t-shirt and a beer before heading into our seats in Section 26, Row A.

The SEC was packed for this, Elton's 40th show at the venue. He arrived on stage to a standing ovation from the audience, resplendent in his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road themed outfit. The band (which featured Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson from Elton's original band) started with the incredible 'Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding'.

Elton and his band played for two hours and 45 minutes without a break. Every song was so fantastic, but stand outs were 'Candle In The Wind' (made us cry), 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', 'The Bitch Is Back' and 'Your Song' (which he dedicated to the audience).

I'm so glad that I got a chance to see Elton John in concert. The years have not wearied him, and he sounded every bit as fresh and new as he does on his records.

Set List for 29th November 2006:

(not exact order, but close enough)

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Bennie & The Jets

Philadelphia Freedom

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Believe

Tiny Dancer

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

Take Me To The Pilot

I Want Love

Someone Saved My Life Tonight