The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #41

OLD 55

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8. Conquistador - Procol Harum (1967) 49

When I first nominated Conquistador back on Top Ten #4, it scored just half the points (22) of the number 10 finisher (Drift Away -- Dobie Gray with 44 points). Does that mean more Songfactors have become familiar with the song ? And I wonder which version ?

-------------

from wikipedia:

"the album Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra was a #5 gold album in the US in 1972... From this, a dynamic performance of Conquistador (a song from their first album) was a hit as a single, getting to #16 in the US with considerable additional FM radio airplay ..."

3. These Boots Are Made For Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra (1966) 57

How does that grab ya, Darlin’ ? How does that mess your mind ?

It actually does mess with my mind. I've never been a Nancy Sinatra Fan. That song is just a cute pop song to me. It's ok, but not top ten material. Course, that's just my opnion!

:crazy:

Edited by Guest

BYE ALL. Thanks for your friendship and especially for your prayers and good wishes during my illness.

Never say never - I'll probably be back some time next year, but right now it's a clean break. I won't be back to read PTs. Any of my friends who want to drop me an Email from time to time are most welcome to do so.

:)

When I first nominated Conquistador back on Top Ten #4, it scored just half the points (22) of the number 10 finisher (Drift Away -- Dobie Gray with 44 points). Does that mean more Songfactors have become familiar with the song ? And I wonder which version ?

-------------

from wikipedia:

"the album Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra was a #5 gold album in the US in 1972... From this, a dynamic performance of Conquistador (a song from their first album) was a hit as a single, getting to #16 in the US with considerable additional FM radio airplay ..."

Of course I didn't know which version the original nominator had in mind, and so I naturally took the earliest one, which can be found on their first album "Procul Harum", 1967 ...

:headphones:

it's actually the one and only Nancy Sinatra song I know. And it just brought back awesome childhood memories for me, so I voted for it.

How about the duet with here father, Something Stupid, during which she sings the same note as harmony throughout?

Or her duet with Lee Hazelwood, Summer Wine, during which she expands to a two note harmony?

I'm with Ceece on this one. "Boots" was a cute song, when cute songs were equated with popular hits. But one of the ten best pieces of lyric and music among those nominations??? Uhhh ...