The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #41

OLD 55

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EITHER:

1. I must have lost my touch for stirring.

2. It went over everyone's heads (except edna, CeeCee and Dappled).

3. It just wasn't funny.

4. It WAS taken seriously by some but they didn't know what to say.

Invoking the non-existent "Rule 48" on Shadows vote, Whole Lotta Love would get 0 Points from her, and her second pick Little Red Rooster would get 19. (My Nomination of course).

I liked Dappled's comment: "It was the Rooster himself". :grin:

Really, Led Zeppelin were pretty pedestrian compared to the World's Greatest Rock And Roll Band/ second best Band of all time (to the Beatles, of course).

;)

THANKS DAPPLED for your understanding about the List. Please continue keeping all of those statistics. I feel we should be utilising your talents.

I liked it when you told us in a couple of Top Tens which of the songs were REnominations and how they'd fared previously. Would others like to see that ?

:guitar:

Thanks Malakin ! Probably most people did get it. :)

It was such a quiet night I thought I'd try to stir things up.

Well, my #2 son would agree with you. He has a heap of their Albums, many tracks of which I DO find pedestrian/dull and boring. Then again I think the same about most of the 'Supergroups'.

They're probably a lot more popular in Australia now than they were in their 'hayday'. There were only about 4 of their songs that got any kind of airplay here then (early 70s), Whole Lotta Love being their most popular single, #2 in 1970.

Not all AM stations played them, most sticking to Top 40 singles, not album tracks. We only got FM radio here in the 1980s and that's when the 'Supergroups' album tracks got a real airing. Later generations were/are probably exposed to them much more than I was.

You know me - I'd rather hear 3 good Pop Songs than a 10 minute Opus anytime. I'm just not a "Classic Rock" person.

;)

Hey, while I'm on a roll stirring here, I'd like to express my thoughts on Competetiveness in the Top Ten.

Hell, I love it when my songs get in the Top Ten ! I wouldn't nominate anything I didn't like just to make the Ten, but I certainly give consideration as to whether my songs will be known by others.

If I was to nominate my favorite song, I believe it would get 10 Points only - from me. Does anybody else know "Memories Of Maria" by the great steel guitarist Jerry Byrd ? It flirted with the Charts in 1962, reaching #74 in the U.S. and snuck into the Australian Top 40. I love it, but why would I nominate it ? To tell people I like it ? I'm doing that now. You're not all going to go and search it out, unless you share my liking for the beautiful sounds of a steel guitar (and Jerry Byrd was THE Master).

The Top Ten mightn't be a "Competition" and some don't care if their songs don't get votes (fair enough), but if you do - well, make sure it's one that a reasonable number of people will know. Oldies like me don't know too many recent songs; I like "Crazy" Gnarls Barkley, but I didn't vote for it this time because it's been nominated 3 times before.

I think this current list of nominations is one of the best/ most diverse that we've had for some time. I could have easily chosen a Top Twenty.

:)

HI Birthday Boys Phil and Lizard ! Lizard now you're 17 we'll tell you about GIRLS. However, they're very complicated and maybe Phil should be the one to do it.

I still don't believe you're 50 Phil (or that was an old photo !).

Yeah - I should've put in "Crazy" Lizard. I just figure it's had 3 shots already and couldn't make it, and I'd be wasting my vote. Sorry !

Careless Whisper was played so much in our house by my daughters in the 80s that it grew on me. (Not like a wart).

;)

And they're nice and soft, but the really good thing is they grow into curvy women !!! :grin:

Don't try to understand them - just agree with whatever they say, whether you're listening or not. Practise saying "Yes Dear/ Sweetheart/Love -whichever term of affection you/she prefers.

1. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

2. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

3. Our House - Madness

4. Never Been to Spain - Three Dog Night

5. Come Together - Beatles

6. Taxi - Harry Chapin

7. Little Red Rooster - Rolling Stones

8. Graceland - Paul Simon

9. Lullaby - The Cure

10. Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

116 songs from 69 have been nominated (lists 1 - 39)and that's more than any other year, and no winner! Strange. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, and Bad Moon Rising came 2nd place (and so did Something in list 40) and they were beaten by Hush (1968), All Along the Watchtower (1968), and I'm A Believer (1966).