The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #41

OLD 55

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Diggs ! I think we'll have your spinner friend to contend with in the next Test. I was surprised he wasn't in the first one.

Thanks for nominating Kevin. For one horrible moment I thought you were leaving the Top Ten too !

Maybe people can't get into the Site to nominate. I tried for a couple of hours before I got here; seems to happen at the same time each day/night.

It's a bit of a shame. We were hoping to regain lost time from last week, but the shortage of Nominations is very disappointing - especially as this will probably be my last Top Ten for a while.

P.S. There have been TWO others who left because their songs weren't making the Tens, b-f (both older than Rachel). Rachel will nominate just for me, I'll bet !

:)

I never thought my taste was that sophisticated, but hey, the evidence points towards that! (and I haven't even nominated any of the more obscure stuff)

ok, as it's daryll's last top 10 and it seems that a big fuss has been made about this whole thing, I shall be nominating for this top 10

pulp common people

(remember people, you said you liked it when you realised what this song was)

the cure lullaby

No, Dappled and I are great friends, but that should have been run by me, Farin or Shawna first.

We appreciate initiative, but that List could cause embarrassment to people. I'm sure that wasn't Dappled's intention, but I've deleted the List anyway.

I missed it first look when I logged in, and only noticed it after I read the last few posts. Anyone who wants to know how they fared, please PT Dappled.

:P

Thanks Rachel Sweetie. :)

I might just vote for the Cure song. "Love Cats" is my favorite of theirs, though. My eldest daughter had one of their Albums when she was about your age.

What a night ! I'm off to bed. I hope Dappled is still speaking to me tomorrow. One thing before I go though....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL !!! GEES HE DOESN'T LOOK 50 !

bet16033.jpg

FROM ALL OF THE TOP TENNERS !

...but that List could cause embarrassment to people.

Well, I was next-to-bottom of the list and I wasn't at all embarrassed. Perhaps ever-so-slightly bewildered at the suggestion that those at the top end of the list should receive congratulations: is it an indicator of having better taste or being more skilled? Au contraire, my friends: I happen to know that I have the best taste around here, it's just that nobody else happens to share it.

... as third from the bottom of the list , I actually wish you'd repost it . I imagine it took a fair bit of work to do and I was impressed with the result ( I love stats ) . I agree with BF that it is merely a curio , and not something that represents standings in any type of contest sense - unless one wishes to see it that way . :)

Rach, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a competetive nature. That's why you are so successful in your studies and why your brain is probably 4 times bigger than mine.

Personally, I couldn't care less where my songs rank. Being incredibly self-centered, I know they are wonderful because I love them. Piss on everyone else.

I have 3 different criteria for my nominations. My songs have to meet at least one, if not all, of following benchmarks:

1] The song makes me clutch my hand to my heart, indicating that it touches me in some way.

2] The song makes me look around for the nearest microphone shaped object, indicating that it makes me want to sing it at the top of my lungs.

3] The song makes me jump up out of my chair, indicating that it makes me want to shake my groove thang.

:bow: Peaches ! :bow: I love you so much! :grin:

Once again I think things are being blown out of proportion. Do we not have anything better to do with our time than fret about our musical taste? I adore George Michael, he has a fantastic voice and you can disagree with me all you want, but I know I'm right so go away.

End of story, time to get on with our lives. *eye rolling smiley*

No, Dappled and I are great friends, but that should have been run by me, Farin or Shawna first.

We appreciate initiative, but that List could cause embarrassment to people. I'm sure that wasn't Dappled's intention, but I've deleted the List anyway.

I missed it first look when I logged in, and only noticed it after I read the last few posts. Anyone who wants to know how they fared, please PT Dappled.

:P

I fully and wholeheartly (is that a word?) agree!!

I'm sorry Dappled, I do realize that this what quite a bit of work, but this is exactly the kind of statistic (with the following discussion) that I don't want to see here!

please remember: THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION!!

you don't win anything when you get a #1, nor do you lose something when you recieve 0 points...

What's the point in pointing out (:grin:) that someone nominated more #1 songs than me?

well, I could nominate "Stairway to Heaven", I believe that would be a sure #1

but why should I bother? what's the fun in that?

(it's like, how do you say, shooting fish in a barrel)

I'd rather nominate a song that I really like and am more than happy - delighted, with each and every person who votes for it (and I remember the names too :shades: :grin:)

and THAT'S what the Top Ten are about, at least for me...

[/soapbox]

Once again I think things are being blown out of proportion. Do we not have anything better to do with our time than fret about our musical taste? I adore George Michael, he has a fantastic voice and you can disagree with me all you want, but I know I'm right so go away.

End of story, time to get on with our lives. *eye rolling smiley*

There's really no need to roll those eyes, Levis: nobody's getting anything "out of proportion". we aren't even talking about George Michael any more! While you were away, Dappled (distinguished statistician of this parish) published a "chart" of Songfactors' relative "success" in achieving Top 10 placings for their nominations. It was vaguely interesting. Then Old 55 (gawd bless 'im), removed it, (out of the goodness of his heart), because he feared that it might cause embarrassment to those of us who repeatedly fail miserably to chart. That's all. No controversy, no fisticuffs, nothing to be alarmed about.