8. Fight For Your Right To Party :: The Beastie Boys

7. Black Dog :: Led Zeppelin

6. We're Not Gonna Take It :: Twisted Sister

5. Welcome To The Jungle :: Guns 'N Roses

4. Rock And Roll All Night :: KISS

3. Iron Man :: Black Sabbath

2. In A Gadda Da Vida :: Iron Butterfly

1. Captain Jack :: Billy Joel

My parents wouldn't know half those songs, but #8 bothers me a lot. Sorry, but I hate that song with a passion! It's just tuneless screaming over a guitar riff.

My mother can't stand anything by Prince, not because of the lyrics, but she can't stand the way he looks. My father cringes at Aaron Neville. Other than that, they probably had no problem with what we listened to/watched.

A friend of mine's dad, aghast at overhearing the lewd filth of The Stranglers "Bring On The Nubiles", went to the trouble of scratching just that track with a compass point, rendering it unplayable, whilst leaving the rest of the album (that his son had spent his pocket money on) intact and unharmed.

You could do that with vinyl. Wouldn't work nowadays.

My 69 year old father loathes the Beach Boys. Mom *hated* AC/DC's "The Jack" and Chuck Berry's "My Ding A Ling". Whenever quarters were doled out when we were in restaurants, it was always with the stern instruction NOT to play "that song". But my traitorous fingers would always punch up A14 or whatever number it was listed under, Dad would crack up, and Ma would deliver a look that would shrivel a raw porkchop. I played her Khia's "My Neck, My Back" a couple of years ago. She laughed..........

My parents weren´t bothered by my music. My mother just told me once to remove that "obscene Mick Jagger poster" from my wall... but she would even explain some lyrics for me when my young English was still very poor.My dad used to bring me all the records I asked him for and also some I didn´t even know about.

I was only asked to, please, "not so loud..."

My dad never tried to dissuade us accepting anything other than big band as real music. It worked to a degree, as my brother and I have played in big bands and we enjoy the music.

This topic reminded me of another way my dad used to take great joy in teasing his kids. My brother, who is a drummer, is a big fan of Keith Moon and all things Who (as am I) and he used to play along with Who albums wearing headphones. There were times when my brother would play without the headphones and the stereo cranked. At one point, Who Are You was my brothers favorite album. My brother was not so subtly reminded to put on his headphones and quell the stereo speakers by my father bursting into his room and mincing around singing staccato over and over again "Who who, who, who" in a falsetto voice. It always worked.

My Mom was, still is cool when it comes to my music. She got me listening to Janis, but my Dad, he was into big band music and he would tell me to turn it down on a regular basis. I do remember watching a Carpenters Holiday special and he came in the room and said that Karen had a voice like an angel and ended up watching it with me and my Mom. And Jenny, I agree with you 100% on the Beastie Boys...I cringe!!

• 3 years later...

"Well, I smoked a lot of grass...

Oh Lord, I popped a lot of pills...

Now if I were the President of this land

You know I'd declare total war on the pusher man

I'd cut him where he'd stand,

And I'd shoot him if he'd run,

And I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun!

GODDAMN! GODDAMN the PUSHER!"

That's Steppenwolf's version of Hoyt Axton's song. My mother HATED it.

Third Stone From The Sun- Jimi Hendrix

Anything by Frank Zappa...My folks just thought the music was too weird

Working Class Hero...cause of the F word

Pusherman-Steppenwolf...swearing and stuff

Lot's of Neil Young...cause my mother thought he had such a sad voice

And my dad is irish (the real thing) hated anything that wasn't irish...but now he's in his 80's...mellowed out alot...and actually likes some stuff that when he was younger "hated"...I've taken him afew times to see us play and he actually liked the music... except for the volume(makes his hearing aid have feedback)... :rockon:

Top 10 Songs That Bothered Your Parents

10. Big Balls :: AC/DC

9. Purple Haze :: Jimi Hendrix

8. Fight For Your Right To Party :: The Beastie Boys

7. Black Dog :: Led Zeppelin

6. We're Not Gonna Take It :: Twisted Sister

5. Welcome To The Jungle :: Guns 'N Roses

4. Rock And Roll All Night :: KISS

3. Iron Man :: Black Sabbath

2. In A Gadda Da Vida :: Iron Butterfly

1. Captain Jack :: Billy Joel

I am looking back at my original post for this topic. I have no idea where I got this list. A few of these songs came out a long time after I moved out of my parent's house. I can honestly say I never owned a Beastie Boys record or listened to them on the radio.

My dad pretty much hated music. I remember once when Led Zeppelin came on the radio, he turned it off and mumbled something about "that drug music." I asked him what music he liked, and he said, "Johnny and The Hurricanes." But I think that was just his way of making sure I never played music in his presence.