The Black Adder

TwistedNerve

Brit Humour has always been a class apart, and although the Monty Python bunch did come up with one of the funniest movies i've ever seen - MP and the Holy Grail, The Black Adder series was definitely the best thing to come out of those stiff upper-lipped folks.

Rowan Atkinson amazes me- i cannot stand the Bean series, but when he has something to say(quite a bit in the black adder), he steals the show.

:bow:

Bean isn't the greatest, but there was one skit that was brilliant. My memory isn't the greatest, so forgive me if this isn't 100% accurate.

Bean is on the beach, and he has to change into his bathing suit. For some reason that escapes me, there is nowhere to change, so he has to do it in front of a person who is sunbathing. He goes through this elaborate process of putting on his suit over his pants and doing all sorts of acrobatics to take his pants off while keeping his bits covered. He finally completes his task, only to realize the person sunbathing is blind. Great physical humor! ::

"Baldrick, your brain is like the four headed, man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen"

"In what way? "

"It doesn't exist "

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here again'."

"I can't see the point in the theatre. All that sex and violence. I get enough of that at home. Apart from the sex, of course."

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

:laughing: :bow: :laughing: :bow: :laughing:

No idea- got shoddy treatment in India- appeared only once on tv, at some ridiculous hour....*bangs head on wall*

Edmund Blackadder becomes worried about the feelings he is getting for his manservant, Bob, who is actually a cunningly disguised good-looking girl called Kate, and goes to the doctors.

D: Now then what seems to be the trouble?

E: Well, it is my man servant.

D: I see. Well don't be embarrassed if you got the pocks. Just pop your man servant on the table and we'll take a look at him.

E: No, I mean, it is my real man servant.

D: Ah, ah. And what is wrong with him?

E: There is nothing wrong with him. That is the problem. He's perfect and last night I almost kissed him.

D: I see. So you started fancying boys then, have you?

E: Not boys. A boy.

D: Yes, well let's not split hairs. It is all rather disgusting and naturally you're worried.

E: Of course I'm worried.

D: Well, of course you are. It isn't every day a man wakes up to discover he's a screaming bender with no more right to live on Gods clean earth than a weazle. Ashamed of your self?

E: Not really, no.

D: Bloody hell! I would be. But still why should I complain? Just leaves more rampant totty for us real men, eh?

E: Look, am I paying for this personal abuse or is it extra?

D: No, it's all part of the service. I think you're in luck though. An extraordinary new cure has just been developed for exactly this kind of sordid problem.

E: It wouldn't have anything to do with leeches, would it?

D: I had no idea you were a medical man.

E: Never had anything you doctors didn't try to cure with leeches. A leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation.

D: They're marvellous, aren't they?

E: Well, the bottom one wasn't. I just sat there and squashed it.

D: You know the leech comes to us on the highest authority?

E: Yes. I know that. Dr. Hoffmann of Stuttgart, isn't it?

D: That's right, the great Hoffmann.

E: Owner of the largest leech farm of Europe.

D: Yes. Well, I cannot spend all day gossiping. I'm a busy man. As far as this case is concerned I have now had time to think it over and I can strongly recommend a course of leeches.

E: Yes. I 'll pop a couple down my codpiece before I go to bed.

D: No, no, no, no. Don't be ridiculous. This isn't the dark ages. Just pop four in your mouth in the morning and let them dissolve slowly. In a couple of weeks you 'll be beating your servant with a stick, just like the rest of us.

::

:shades:

Check the link i mentioned earlier!It's hilarious..

The Blackadder series has a pretty strong fan following, and episode scripts are easily available online..pity that it lasted only four seasons..:(

::

Edmund Blackadder goes to visit the Wise Woman in Putney and asks a Young Crone for information

E: Tell me Young crone, is this Putney?

C: That it be, that it be.

E: "Yes it is". Not "that it be". You don't have to talk in that stupid voice to me. I'm not a tourist. I seek information about a Wisewoman.

C: Ah, the Wisewoman.. the Wisewoman.

E: Yes, the Wisewoman.

C: Two things, my lord, must thee know of the Wisewoman. First, she is... a woman, and second, she is ...

E: .. wise?

C: You do know her then?

E: No, just a wild stab in the dark which is incidentally what you'll be getting if you don't start being a bit more helpful. Do you know where she lives?

C: Of course.

E: Where?

C: Here. Do you have an appointment?

E: No.

C: Well, you can go in anyway.

E: Thank you Young crone. Here is a purse of money... which I'm not going to give to you.

The amazing thing about Blackadder is the collection of actors. Probably the greatest assembly of British comedians ever in my opinion.

If you like Blackadder, check out 'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom/Hotel Paradiso' (Ric Mayall, who plays 'Flash'), and anything with Stephen Fry. Stephen Fry is a latter day Oscar Wilde.

Shove-piggy-shove anybody?

Regards

I just thought of a hilarious "Brit-com"...anyone ever seen "Are You Being Served"?? I have trouble finding it since I am without cable ( :( ) but every now and then I will catch it on PBS.

Ohh...cringe.

I rank that show with Benny Hill as amongst the very worst of British comedy. Its a relic from the seventies, and I'm surprised anyone likes it. Please dont classify that as a good example of 'Brit-com', its just embarrassing!

We think anything with an English accent is funny over here. It kills me when we Americans "adapt" English TV...it usually doesn't go over very well. They tried to do "Coupling" and it was terrible. Now they have Graham Norton on Comedy Central. I've not seen it, but he is so bawdy on BBC America, I don't know how it will translate. I was so proud when "The Office" won a Golden Globe without it having to be Americanized.

Ohh...cringe.

I rank that show with Benny Hill as amongst the very worst of British comedy. Its a relic from the seventies, and I'm surprised anyone likes it. Please dont classify that as a good example of 'Brit-com', its just embarrassing!

Well, on many occasions that I have caught an episode, I found it entertaining. I have not seen it enough times to be an "expert" on the show...I just remember at certain times laughing out loud. And just as a P.S. , I didn't think in my post that I made it sound like it was the end-all be-all of Brit-coms...It just happened to be another that I remember seeing.

~Tara

We think anything with an English accent is funny over here. It kills me when we Americans "adapt" English TV...it usually doesn't go over very well. They tried to do "Coupling" and it was terrible. Now they have Graham Norton on Comedy Central. I've not seen it, but he is so bawdy on BBC America, I don't know how it will translate. I was so proud when "The Office" won a Golden Globe without it having to be Americanized.

I currently addicted to watching "Coupling" and "The Office" on the BBCA. I had heard that they tried to do "coupling" for ABC or some other network but then never heard anything else about it. They should have just shown the original British version. I don't see how people wouldn't have liked it.

Gareth on "The Office" likes to talk about being in the 'Territorial Army', does anyone know what the US equivalent of this is? When he talks about it, the other people don't seem too impressed. Or are they just not impressed with Gareth, the 'assistant regional director', or the 'assistant to the regional director', depending on who's stating his job title.

The TA is our part-time army, comprising civilians who train a few times a year for a bit of money and some time off work. The regular forces describe them as 'weekend warriors'. The TA does however get sent to nasty places such as Iraq, to perform support roles. My old History teacher was an Captain in the TA, and I think he only did it for the uniform and to handle a big weapon from time to time. The regular army is being scaled down in size whilst the TA is getting larger - a reflection of our Government's desire to spend less on the military whilst maintaining a body of available man(and women)power for human scale conflicts of the sort likely to occur in the forseeable future.

For another good comedy, check out 'The Royle Family'.

Regards

I'm sure we all know a 'Gareth' - mid twenties, lives with his parents, an unhealthy interest in militaria, probably gay but doesn't know it yet and frightened of women. Will almost certainly climb to a middle management position and go no further.

Great script and frighteningly intuitive characterisation.

Regards