Poised to be big, then PFFT!

Costellogirl75

Soul Asylum really only had one chartable hit in 1993, but they had a successful run with an avid following. Their earlier work really helped pave the way for alternative & opened a few doors for grunge. Does anybody remember a music video by them that featured Claire Danes? It was from the same album that had Misery on it.

A few others...

Grateful Dead - Late 70's, when they released Shakedown Street & Terrapin Station, then they started to slow down even more in the 80's. They had a comeback for a while with In the Dark though.

The Who - Never really Jumped, but Daltry's recent promotions & late night paid-programming specials really aren't helping.

Tom Petty - Wildflowers, many people felt this was a nice album, but it really didn't focus on the same atmosphere he had relied on before.

Guns N Roses ? Spaghetti Incident, too many jaded covers, then Slash & everybody are kicked out, they haven?t released anything together or under that name since. Velvet Revolver is another descending point.

Nine Inch Nails - Flood leaves, The Fragile, they ceased to re create the same genre they had before, most of this was re dubbed material.

• 9 months later...

Blind Melon could've certainly been a great band or better then what they were. They were only recognized for one song "No Rain" when in all actuality they had a couple good songs on that cd.

Is that a joke? A couple of good songs? Someone name a bad one

A group I have mentioned before in other posts is Shadows of Knight. I have read some considered them America's answer to the Rolling Stones.

Gloria put them on the charts back in 1966. Other hits were I Got My Mojo Working and Bad Little Woman. Before 1970 they were all done as far as chart toppers.

They still tour today but honestly, how many of you can say you have listened to their albums? They are hard to find but if you do so and you like some good old garage band rock from that era, this is the group to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to "Slow Ride" right now, what ever happened to Foghat?

Lonesome Dave (lead) died in 2000. Rod Price (guitar) died in the spring, I want to say April.

They released a live greatest hits in December 2003 called "Decades Live." But haven't toured together since 1999, when they cancelled the last fifteen dates of the tour.

OTher than that they kinda just fell off the face of the earth.

Lonesome Dave (lead) died in 2000. Rod Price (guitar) died in the spring, I want to say April.

They released a live greatest hits in December 2003 called "Decades Live." But haven't toured together since 1999, when they cancelled the last fifteen dates of the tour.

OTher than that they kinda just fell off the face of the earth.

Fool For The City is just one of my fave all time rockers..I love that song.

• 4 months later...

Being a big fan of Jon Hein's Jump The Shark book, but disappointed by its accompanying Web site (which only deals with TV shows) and Yahoo group (which lumps all discussions on all topics into one giant ungainly "forum"), I'll instead revive the discussion here. Here are some of my favorite (and not-so-favorite) recording artists and when they "jumped the shark":

• AC/DC: "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" (both the album and its title track); it's been almost all downhill for them ever since.
  • Aerosmith: They collaborate with Run-DMC to remake "Walk This Way," signaling their sellout to the MTV set.
  • The Beatles: Enter Yoko Ono.
  • Boston: The Third Stage album. After "Amanda" it was a big disappointment, and they've not come anywhere near their former glory since.
  • The Doors: Jim Morrison dies.
  • Electric Light Orchestra: Their Time album, where they drop their string section in favor of (you guessed it) synthesizers.
  • Genesis: Lead guitarist Steve Hackett leaves the group, beginning in earnest their metamorphosis from progressive rock to power pop.
  • Janet Jackson: The Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show, where Justin Timberlake made good on his promise to have her naked by the end of the song.
  • KISS: They lose the makeup, costumes and associated theatrics, and with them most of what made the band interesting.
  • Led Zeppelin: In Through The Out Door, where they started using synths.
  • John Lennon: One word: "Imagine".
  • Metallica: Their self-titled album. One listen and you could tell they weren't the same band their fans knew and loved.
  • Milli Vanilli: "Girl you know it's-Girl you know it's-Girl you know it's-Girl you know it's-"
  • Pink Floyd: Roger Waters departs on a depressing note with The Final Cut.
  • REO Speedwagon: Lead guitarist Gary Richrath departs.
  • The Rolling Stones: They adopt the tongue-and-lip logo that symbolizes their now-nearly-complete corporatization.
  • Rush: Grace Under Pressure, which cemented their transformation to synth-oriented power pop.
  • Ashlee Simpson: See Milli Vanilli.
  • Cat Stevens: He becomes Yusuf Islam.
  • Styx: Kilroy Was Here - not just the lame album, but also the traveling musical that passed for the ensuing tour!
  • Van Halen: David Lee Roth departs.
  • The Who: Keith Moon dies and his bandmates get old.
  • Yes: "Don't Kill The Whale".
  • ZZ Top: Afterburner. A blues-oriented rock band with a synth-dominated sound - what's wrong with this picture?