Poised to be big, then PFFT!

Costellogirl75

I am listening to My Sharona by the Knack and it got me wondering about bands that were supposed to really go places, then, sort of fizzled.

The Knack was supposed to be the next coming of The Beatles, but as far as I know, the really only had one hit in My Sharona. I'm don't really know what happened to make them fall just short of huge success. Maybe VH-1 should try to reunite them on Bands Reunited.

Do you all know of any other acts that were poised to be big, but then went no where?

LoL no one can ever be the Beatles. I heard the same thing for Oasis.

Anyway . . .

Blind Melon could've certainly been a great band or better then what they were. They were only recognized for one song "No Rain" when in all actuality they had a couple good songs on that cd.

And one thing you can keep in mind is any good band that had a tragic death and stopped playing because of it could be considered someone that was poised to be big or bigger.

::

Yeah, for instance, I work in a record store and I constantly see Cds comming out from artists who Ive never heard of obviously, but recently I saw this Cd from a tiny little girl, she cant be a day over 14, Nellie McKay. And a reveiw that they put on a sticker on the cd itself said something like "McKay has written this generations White Album" I just had to laugh... I mean seriously, The White Album? Shes practically a fetus, and shes gonna write herself the white album of our time. R I G H T

The first band that comes to mind is the one most talked about... Rock's first supergroup, "Blind Faith."

Funny thing is, I bought the 'gold' disc of that album (got it really cheap) and never cared for it in the first place (I thought that maybe after all those years, I might like it....... wrong!). If I made a list of boring 'classic' albums, that one would definitely make the list.

• 1 month later...

When do you think that a good band "Jumped the Shark" (had a peak point & then it went downhill after-wards)

Led Zeppelin - After Physical Graffiti

Rolling Stones - early 80's

The Doors - Jim's death

Eagles - Band turmoil sets in

Van Halen - Dave's out & Sammy's in

Rush - Progressive New Wave sound added to blend in with the style of the 80's

Black Sabbath - Ozzy's out

Ozzy Osbourne - His show, even though he's shown very little in music anyways

Guns N' Roses - November Rain

Metallica - obvious

Alice in Chains - Drugs takes it's toll (like many other bands)

Pearl Jam - after the first album

White Stripes - it's already starting to show

I have to agree entirely with you on every one you listed. And I would like to add that The Who 'jumped the shark' in the early 1980's. "Who Are You" was their last great album, and possibly their greatest ever. The fact that Keith Moon died, I don't believe, was the beginning of their downhill slide. I just think it was an attempt, like many other bands from the '70's, to alter their music style to fit the new generation. Or, just like a great athlete, musicians lose some of their great ability after showing it for many years. They still show it at times, but the consistency just isn't there anymore -- with songwriting mostly; their playing talent still shows.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Led Zeppelin with Physical Graffiti, it was my favorite album by them, and then not too much stuff after lives up to it.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience really fell apart when Jimi died ::

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but Van Halen after Jump. That song is everything I hate about 80s pop.

Aerosmith ~ Permanent Vacation. After that, they took a permanent vacation from being Boston's Bad Boys to being Corporate poster boys. Tyler went from 'being' Steven Tyler to 'look at me, I'm being Steven Tyler'

Phil Collins ....don't know the exact time, but it was when he started writing exclusively for Disney soundtracks. One long, bad song.

Ditto Elton John.

I agree with all of your list except for one

Pearl Jam - after the first album

I personally believe that Ten was kind of formulaic and dumb(Though 'Black' is an excellent tune), whereas their best stuff came afterwards(I actually prefer 'Riot Act' to 'Ten') and especially from their third album 'Vitalogy'

I agree with all of your list except for one

I personally believe that Ten was kind of formulaic and dumb(Though 'Black' is an excellent tune), whereas their best stuff came afterwards(I actually prefer 'Riot Act' to 'Ten') and especially from their third album 'Vitalogy'

It seemed to me that they started falling apart & losing their studio aggressiveness when Vitalogy came out, most of the album sounded like (IMO) unrehearsed filler. Eddie Veddar had become more obsessed with fighting the media and ticket sales, and had forgotten about the most important essential, the music.

- The Stones jumped the shark when they cut a Disco album.

- Depeche Mode maybe when they released Songs Of Faith And Devotion Live.

- Madonna jumped the shark at Music most definitely.

- David Bowie right after Let's Dance.

- Radiohead probably did it at Hail To The Thief, but that remains to be seen by what they come up with next.

- Garbage jumped the shark when they went Pop in their second album (damn! And she had so much potential too!).

- Liz Phair recently jumped the shark.

- Clan Of Xymox jumped the shark when Anke Wolbert and Peter Nooten left the band after Phoenix.

- Depeche Mode maybe when they released Songs Of Faith And Devotion Live.

For me, it was when Gahan tried to kill himself, & then shortly after they came out with Ultra, which all in all wasn't a bad album, with a few solid tracks, but they weren't really being themselves & the originality of the band's focus had showed signs of dimming down, but I guess the same case can be seen with Faith of Devotion, which only had a couple strong songs on it.

When The Doors became The Butts Band.

The Full Tilt Boogie Band was never the sam after Janis died.

Hey, this is easy!

OMD after Ian Curtis

Allman Bros. after Duane and Berry

Pink Floyd after Syd

Too easy!

Rod Stewart Atlantic Crossing

Supertramp Breakfast in America (they were actually a good band before that drivel.)

Genesis without Peter Gabriel

Fairport without Richard Thompson

The Dead without Jerry

Pink Floyd-Syd

Okay they certainly changed after Syd went insane, but I think for the better. The Wall, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, ALL AFTER SYD LEFT!!!

They also gained arguably one of the best singer/guitarist/songwriter EVER, David Gilmour. Syd was a creative genius but they kept on going like his leave was nothing.

I think they are one of the only bands to remain at their rank of AMAZING after switching guitarists and singers.

Sorry if I kind of pounded your opinion but I get a bit PF defensive.

All 3 Pink Floyds were great in different ways. I think it was better that they got rid of Syd. Not as a songwriter, but as a person. He was very hard to work with because of his addiction to LSD. He would just play the same note over and over again. Sometimes he would never show up to concert. Besides, his replacement kicked arse.

• 4 weeks later...

A band that I really thought was the next super group was Spacehog with their hit, In the Meantime. What the heck happened to those guys?

Blur, another band that soared with their shaggable CD, Liesure but really flopped, IMO, with their next album, Parklife. No where near the excellence that Liesure contained. What the heck happened to those guys?

I'm thinking sometimes that money kills incentive. I mean, I can see making one outstanding hit and living off of that the rest of my life.

But, my love for music would keep me going.

Is this for One hit wonders or one album wonders?

I thought Skid Row was going to be as big as Guns N' Roses & Def Leppard, while they maintained a successful run, they weren't as big as I had anticipated. A few follow ups like Jellyfish & Trixter seemed like they were going somewhere, when they didn't really go anywhere at all.

Space, Primitive Radio Gods, Spacehog (as Muzik mentioned), Semisonic, Jesus & the Mary Chain, Lucas (with the lid off), & even James all looked like they might have had better & longer runs than they actually did.

In more recent years, Crazytown looked somewhat promising to top the charts, but they really only had one hit with Butterfly. The same with All American Rejects, but they still have a shot at it. I had New Found Glory hyped up from the beginning, because of an article I read about them in Metal Edge Magazine, but they were a complete disappointment. The Killers are a new band that look like something to start, but could fall down this crazy hole known as the music industry.

I'm missing many other bands that went the same direction, I'll post them later if I can remember.