You're Embarrassing Me Dad..

RonJonSurfer

Bruce Dickinson Banned From Son's Gigs

16-year-old Austin freaks out when the Iron Maiden star watches him perform.

Rocker Bruce Dickinson has been banned from watching his 16-year-old son's gigs, because he gets put off when he sees his dad in the audience.

The Iron Maiden frontman has agreed to his son Austin's request, but only because he remembers the embarrassment he felt when his own father used to come and watch him play as a young man.

Dickinson says, "He (Austin) said to me, 'I know you want to come but when you do, I panic.' I understand. I don't want to be a stage dad.

"I remember my dad coming to one of my first gigs and marching to the front in his suit and putting his elbows on the stage. Embarrassing."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Lucky guy. My dad used to revel in embarrassing me. Case in point: He used to love going into Thriftys (a large drugstore) wearing cut off pants, a Broom Hilda t shirt ("Nothing beats a 5 cent cigar"), a brown Nat Sherman cigarette dangling from his unshaven face topped off with a "Gilligan" hat which had seen better days. There were two ways he liked to torment me. First, he would sing the Barbara Streisand song "People" in a falsetto voice. After that drove me away quickly, the set up for his second torture was made. He would pop out at the front of one of the isles, shout to me (at the other end of the isle) "Hey Marc!" To my horror every time, he would have the biggest dopey grin on his face...as he did the Charleston :blush:

I guess it was a great way for him to blow off steam. He was a criminal defence attorney and had to be serious most of the time. I sure do miss him...

Embarrassing your children is a parental right and it's payback for all the tantrums they throw in public when they're two and three.

When Samantha gets to the mouthy tween stage, I will threaten her with chaperoning one of her school dances....that or picking her up at a friends wearing a bathrobe and curlers!

• 2 weeks later...

Embarrassing your kids provides a lasting legacy and that's why I try (albeit a bit more subtle) to give my kids something to think about.

Oh yes...this...

When Samantha gets to the mouthy tween stage, I will threaten her with chaperoning one of her school dances....that or picking her up at a friends wearing a bathrobe and curlers!

works well. :) Been there, done it! It's really very satisfying.