The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #40

Farin

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to say that I think I will give up on the top ten for now, it's just rather pointless and I have a rather competitive nature too, so it makes it even more pointless

If you're competitive, why are you quitting? I would think you would summon up more resolve to get your songs voted at a higher slot. Just my opinion.

Come on, Rach, we are joking... :cool:

Now, who´s the genius that nominated "Careless Whisper"? I wanna thank him/her and send him/her a big box of brownies... :)

I love Johnny Thunders, the wildest Rolling Stones, the freakiest Jefferson Airplane, Tom Waits, the darkest Velvet Underground, I love The Clash and the raw Stranglers... I also love the sweet Stranglers and I love "The winner takes it all" and "How can you mend a broken heart"...

If you're competitive, why are you quitting? I would think you would summon up more resolve to get your songs voted at a higher slot. Just my opinion.

well I can understand it to a point.

It can be rather frustrating when you nominate your favourite songs and they recieve "only" 15 points...

well I can understand it to a point.

It can be rather frustrating when you nominate your favourite songs and they recieve "only" 15 points...

True, but you have to understand the "average" SF'er....it's older folks (that's right) like me. I never even heard of most of the songs from the 80's and up. It's a near impossible task at SF. Thus, (lawyerly summation), just play it for fun! That's all I do....and I like it.

Mine never do, they usually have some 19 or 22 points...

This time I nominated one in the Top ten (first time in some 25 or 30 Top tens...)... but it´s cause I had been singing that song for two days, I was planning to nominate some boring Cohen or unknown Dutch 68´s hit... :P

I, like Radhi, feel like this is one of my favorite Top Tens. I think it represents all eras of music.

Just like Tom Sawyer may be relatable to the "older" crowd, Careless Whisper is relatable to those of us who were teenagers or kids in the '80's (like me). Granted, it's not the best song ever written, but it takes us back to "the good old days".

I don't hate Tom Sawyer, nor do I love it, but I think it didn't make the top 10 due to overkill. Plus, Geddy Lee's voice is not for everyone.

Now, who´s the genius that nominated "Careless Whisper"? I wanna thank him/her and send him/her a big box of brownies... :)

It was I, edna. :)

I think it's a great song. George Michael has a much better voice than the lead vocalists of most of the 'Classic Rock or New Wave' Bands that keep getting nominated ! And I sure wasn't a Teenager when it came out. I was 43 and married with with 5 Kids, but I am young at heart, Jenny.

;)

Sorry Malakin, but I'll give Rush the brush. Not my taste.

Also, it's a pretty good Top Ten I reckon, although I don't know Cannonball or Dixie Chicken. I notice that neither of my fellow Australians voted for them either, so those songs may not have been as popular here.

To each his/her own.

:headphones:

Here's a recap of the Top Ten #40 for the week ending 26th November 2006 - check out your handiwork :grin:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

2. Something - The Beatles

3. Careless Whisper - Wham!

4. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) - The Rolling Stones

5. Cannonball - The Breeders

6. It Never Rains In Southern California - Albert Hammond

7. Dixie Chicken - Little Feat

8. In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

9. Rescue Me - Fontella Bass

10. Cry Like A Baby - The Box Tops

Nice going all! (I still can't believe Little Feat is in the Top Ten. Now I KNOW you guys are cool) :beatnik: