Time Top 100 Albums

TheLizard

Number of progressive rock albums: 1 (but only if you count Led Zeppelin IV as progressive rock, which I do).

Number of greatest hits/compilation albums: at least 5.

Number of rap albums: at least 8.

Note that at the top of the list, it says they were looking for the "most influential" albums ever. Okay, of course rap has influenced a lot of artists, but that means by their criteria, "The Dark Side Of The Moon" should be an automatic inclusion, ditto with "The Doors" and "Appetite For Destruction". The ignorance of the influence of certain genres and artists in this list seems to be completely opposed to their selection criteria. This is another list I cannot take seriously.

I don't think greatest hits and compilation albums are really "influential" either.

Edited by Guest

Number of progressive rock albums: 1 (but only if you count Led Zeppelin IV as progressive rock, which I do).

Two if you count Ziggy Stardust.

Also, no Chili Peppers, no "Electric Ladyland", no "Tommy", no Alice Cooper, no Queen, no Van Halen, no Rage Against the Machine, no White Stripes.

Maybe Time should stay out of the music department. Or go buy some new albums.

In the 2000's albums, they've got one by Hank Williams, Sam Cooke, Elvis Presley, and Muddy Waters, and all 4 are compilations from recordings that were recorded far before this decade. Hmmm, who else notices what's wrong there? They do the same thing with the 90's and 80's. Lame!

And of course, it's silly that Dark Side of the Moon didn't even break the top 100.

Now we know why so many of our "Songfactors' Top Ten" lists contain so many '60s and '70s music.

Could it be that most of songfacts is made up of middle aged people who still love the music they grew up on the most?

The same could be said about Time magazine, I suppose.

I just realized, there's hardly any electronica on this list.

Sorry, put this list is a joke. I will now go on to list my reasons why. Most of them are probably wrong, but I will say them anyway.

1. The exclusions. This is a joke. There is no work by:

- Pink Floyd

- The Doors

- Queen

- Guns n' Roses

- Tupac Shakur

- Pink Floyd

- Jay- Z

- Tom Petty

- Red Hot Chili Peppers

- Many others who people would disagree with so I won't bother to list

2. Bob Dylan. He's good, but not that good. "Highway 61" should be on there, as should "Time Out Of Mind." However, "Blonde on Blonde" is not top 100.

3. There is one album by The Who. One. But they don't bother to include the first ever rock opera, "Tommy." One Led Zeppelin album. This is a crime.

4. How many good albums can a group have. The Beatles are good, but did they really make 5% of the best albums ever. I don't like the Stones so naturally I will disagree with having two of their albums, but I can't disagree they should be on the list. Same thing with R.E.M. Pick one album.

5. If the title of an album includes the words "Greatest Hits," "Anthology," or "Collection," it is automatically out of contention for being one of the greatest albums. End of discussion.

6. Poor choices, in my opinion, include:

- "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea"- PJ Harvey's

- "Slanted and Enchanted"- Pavement's

- "Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969)"

- "Ropin' The Wind"- Garth Brooks

- "The Harder They Come"- Jimmy Cliff

- "Pet Sounds"- The Beach Boys

7. Alternatives. Instead of some of the ones listed above, include:

- "Dark Side of The Moon"- Pink Floyd (I will rant about this later).

- "American Beauty"- The Grateful Dead

- "A Night At the Opera"- Queen

- "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers"

- "Waiting For The Sun"- The Doors

- "Wish You Were Here"- Pink Floyd

- "Appetite For Descrution"- Guns n' Roses

- "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

- "Electric Ladyland"- Hendrix

- Numerous others

8. Pink Floyd. It's not just the fact they didn't include them. It's that snooty little remark at the beginning, "And that's exactly how it should be." What a bunch of arrogant little brats. Since when is Time Magazine the authority on music. If one goes by this list it doesn't look like they know what they're talking about. If any of their albums should be on it, it should be "Dark Side", however, I think that "Wish You Were Here" should be there as well.

If you haven't figured it out be now, I hate this list with a burining passion. The people who compiled it have almost no musical knowledge whatsover. It is really a disgrace and embarresement.

[Rant Completed]

Oh yeah - I think I'll finish by asking how on earth the people at Time magazine can judge Kanye West's influence such a short period of time after the album was released? Okay, maybe Kanye really is more creative and influential than other rappers in the world today, but I still think they should wait a few more years to judge how influential the album is.

Edited by Guest

I think they picked that album becuase it went against the grain. People were tired of the same gangsta rap and Kanye mixed it up. However, in the long run I don't think he will have a large effect, because even almost five years after things are still pretty much the same as they were before he came up.

And thank you for saying I summed it up. I am honored and privilaged to receive a " :bow: "

But they don't bother to include the first ever rock opera, "Tommy."

I'm going to be a nitpicker here, just because that's the way I am. :grin:

"Jesus Christ Superstar" was actually the first ever rock opera. "Tommy" didn't come out until 1975, "JCS" began as a stage show in 1971.

Shawna, "Tommy" has been a rock opera since it was released in 1969. It´s a "rock" opera, the first one, performed by The Who themselves while JCSS is more a conventional but "pop" opera.

Connor, I agree with you on many things, but "Blonde on Blonde" (the first double album in rock history, 1966) has such an amount of gems ("I want you", "Just like a woman", "Stuck inside of Mobile", "Absolutelly Sweet Marie" or "One of us must know (Sooner or later)" that I suggest you give it a listen, unless you don´t like Dylan... ;)

"Ropin' The Wind"- Garth Brooks

Connor, props on the stellar rant. Yes, the list sucks and yes, I agree with you on most of your points. However, I do believe that the Garth Brooks album should be on the list. I moved to Georgia a little before Brooks became mega-popular and I could definitely see the influence he singlehandedly brought to country music. He really ushered in a "new country" attitude to the masses.

Personally, I couldn't care less about it, but I do think he should be on the list.

When did I appoint myself to be the ambassador of country music? I need a paycheck from Nashville. Or at least a really big hat. :grin: