Cat psychology: advice needed

blind-fitter

I'd never keep a cat without being able to let it out. We've had cats since before I was born, and they could go outside if they wanted to. They always came back, there was never any big disadvantage except for dirty footprints on the carpet, but I don't think you can count that...we once tried to keep a cat only in the house, but she drove us crazy.

This always depends on where you live, of course. In downtown London or New York this probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

Same with dogs - remove all traces of the smell of their urine from their favourite no-go go-zones. Urine is also used to show dominance and mark territory and with them being so young and new to their surroundings, they are probably trying to make a claim on their own safe bit of turf. Interrupting them with a loud noise when they are caught in the act definitely helps as they then start associating the behaviour in specific areas with frights. Praise them and make a fuss of them when they do use their litter trays though. This reinforces that they are doing the dirty in the right place.

All the other suggestions are really good too, and pets should always be a pleasure and not a pain. Remember though, they are new to your house and still babies so this is all new to them too and probably very scary and when they need to go, they have to go.

Spaying or neutering will decrease or totally eliminate a cat's desire for the outside world.

However, once a cat has been out it will always want access to the outside.

In our case it didn't help...the cat was spayed and had never been outside, but she still tried to get outside.

No we didn't torture her or anything like that. :P

And if all that weren't enough, they could get snatched up and squired away to a lab to have nasty experiments done on them, or sold to vet schools to be killed and then quartered for studying.

I work for a pharmaceutical company, and granted, we don't work with cats here, but I can assure you, animals are not picked up off the street for experiments. They are bought legally by suppliers who breed them for scientific purposes. I'm not saying that there aren't some disreputable places out there who acquire animals that way, but most reputable companies would not. We are inspected by the USDA and the FDA and they set very high standards for us and can shut us down for non-compliance.

I can't speak for universities or vet schools, but for the pharmaceutical industry, this is the truth.

I am not trying to pick a fight with anybody, I just want to set the record straight.

Edited by Guest

I am not trying to pick a fight with anybody, I just want to set the record straight.

Jenny, your post oozes class. I wanted to acknowledge that you made your point very eloquently, and without stepping on toes. Nicely done.

I was not even thinking of pharmaceutical companies when I made my post, but household products/makeup companies. There are many out there that pay people to round up roaming animals for their labs, in an effort to save themselves the larger sum of money it would cost them to do it through more legitimate sources.

Even though no one asked, I extend my apologies for any offense caused by my rantings.

B-F, I've "belonged" to a few cats in my day. The pheremone thing is an excellent idea, and the water pistol is exactly the right thing to use to teach ( keeping them off the table etc). My cats were always indoor/outdoor cats, with no problems. One major thing though. Don't let them outdoors if they have been declawed. They have no natural protection then (other than poo-odor)!

I've been letting them become accustomed to the outside world over the last week or so. The back-door has been open for over an hour this morning so they could come and go as they please. Just now, (during lunch) Pudding came inside, laid a cable in the tray, then went outside again. :doh: But there has been progress.