Cat psychology: advice needed

blind-fitter

I have two young (7-8 month old) female cats, who have lived with us for about 5 weeks now. Even though they have a litter tray, which they do use occasionally, they also do their biz in other places where they really shouldn't (e.g. on the hall-rug, on the bathroom mat). This afternoon, instead of disposing of the rogue turd on the hall-rug, I took it and deposited it in their litter tray, while they watched me. Is this the right thing to do?

Despite its miasmic pong, I'm leaving it there in the hope that they might put two and two together...

Any other advice during this challenging time?

We have now had cat-flaps made, and I'm hoping that once Pudding and Crumble become accustomed to going outside a bit, this problem will recede.Any advice concerning introducing young cats to the outdoors without losing them would also be welcome.

If I happened to be in the right place at the right time, I might try and pick the cat up and deposit her in the litter tray. However, generally we don't become aware of the Thora until after the dirty deed is done.

Also, the cats are still getting used to us, and still a bit shy of being picked up at the best of times, let alone mid-Eartha.

The litterbox should not be near their food or near their bed. If it is, it should be moved. If you have a laundry room or a seldom used bathroom, that would work.

It also may be the type of litter. If they were used to something else, they make not like the type of litter you have. Try using what they used to have and gradually changing it to the kind you want to use. If they were feral, then maybe try spreading some outside soil over the box.

Putting the poop where it belongs is the right thing to do, IMO. They will soon get that this is the correct place to do business. It's too bad they don't like to be touched, but that is also good advice, to move them when caught in the act.

When you first bring a kitten home "they" say to pick it up and rub it's feet in the litter. It may not be too late to do that. Depositing the poo in the litter is good.

I've found that a water pistol is an excellent tool in disuaging cats from going where they are not welcome or from clawing things.

Introducing them to the outside is a crap shoot. If they're happy they will likely return home at given intervals. If someone else feeds them (or takes them in) you may never see them again. At best expect them to return home with passengers, i.e. fleas.

We had the same problem recently, and discovered a solution. Most pet stores (are there the megastores, such as "Pet Smart" over the pond?) will have spray bottles containing cat pheromones. Spray it where the cat habitually pees, and they should stop - they'll think that area has already been "marked". It worked really well, but the downside is that you have to spray it about twice a day for a month. If you go the safe route, like we did, you'll spray it on anything covered in fabric. The don't seem to like the pee-splatter caused by hardwood floors, so those are safe...

Also, this stuff isn't cheap, but neither is replacing your furniture.

That pheromones thing Daslied suggested is the best way to solve your problem, Fitter. My cats always use the litter and I never had such a :P:P:P problem, but I know people who did and that really helped.

A water pistol is great, I threaten my two cats whenever they feel like fighting in my room at 4 am... and they run!!

Then I close the door...

I've threatened to do that with my daughter, but have never had enough nerve to follow through with it. :grin:

Your daughter scratches the furniture? Mine just uses pens on our furniture.

I have always been a firm believer in teaching by example. You should relieve yourself in the litter box in front of the cats so that they know why it is there...

You could buy a dog and keep that in the house... then the little dumpers would feel obliged to use next door's garden as the Garry...

In a similar vein, how does one train a child to use the toilet? I went for a shave today and noticed a pong. I couldn't find the source until I opened the bathroom bin, only to see a large, perfectly formed Richard looking up at me. On interrogation tonight it turns out my 5 year old had produced said poo and left it in the bin for a joke... Oh how I laughed as I disinfected the bin!

The title of this thread caught my eye and B-F, I want to share with you three things experience has taught me through 58 years:

1. There is no such thing as "cat psychology." There is only cats.

2. There is no such thing as "cat training" for harmonious coexistence. There is only cats.

3. There is no heirarchy of authority in a home that contains two or more species, if one of those species is cats. There is only cats.

... you'll see.

Despite its miasmic pong, I'm leaving it there in the hope that they might put two and two together...

you're talking about something that has a brain weighing 8 ounces, average.

I agree with Jenny on all the cat litter stuff. It might be they don't like the texture or the smell of the cat sand with which you have presented them.

As far as letting them go outside, I'm of the belief that that is a bad idea. They can pick up diseases, get in fights and get injured thereby costing you hundreds of dollars in vet bills, they could get hit by a car or eaten by a mean dog or wild animal (owls are big at picking cats off the ground for a meal). And if all that weren't enough, they could get snatched up and squired away to a lab to have nasty experiments done on them, or sold to vet schools to be killed and then quartered for studying.

Keep them indoors, if you want to keep them healthy - or at all.

That´s true, that´s why I like cats... :)

Yet their little brains will understand some little points like "you do this=you get a shot of water".

And keep them inside the house, yes, they tend to disappear if you let them out and they might be back but you´ll have a bad time meanwhile...