A Greener Shade of White Lies Pale

RonJonSurfer

Procol Harum in Court

Former keyboard player Matthew Fisher claims he co-wrote "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

Procol Harum is involved in a bitter legal dispute after the band's former keyboard player Matthew Fisher claims he co-wrote their 1967 hit "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

The British group's biggest chart success has always been credited to lead singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid, but Fisher now claims he wrote the song's distinctive organ melody and is demanding a share of the copyright.

Fisher and Brooker will appear at the High Court in London Monday to give evidence.

Speaking on the band's website, Brooker says, "'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' was written by Keith Reid and me before Matthew even joined the band.

"I am shocked and dismayed that after Matthew had worked with us quite happily over the course of 40 years without him once alleging that his role on 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' was anything other than as a musician, it is only now that he claims he recalls writing part of the song.

"People can draw their own conclusions from this."

But Fisher's lawyer Mike Shepherd says the time between the song's release and the court proceedings was irrelevant, saying, "My client has always maintained he wrote the parts, or composed the parts, he claims he composed."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Procol Harum Keyboardist Plays in Court

Matthew Fisher is demanding a share of the copyright for their hit "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

Former Procol Harum keyboardist Matthew Fisher played in London's High Court Monday in order to prove he wrote the solo for the band's 1967 hit "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

The British group's biggest chart success has always been credited to lead singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid, but Fisher is now demanding a share of the copyright.

Fisher played and attempted to prove "the process of his composition" by breaking down the solo bar by bar.

He told the court, "This is meant to be a pop record, we didn't want anything too adventurous - too avant garde.

"I was trying to do something that sounded nice, that people would say, 'Oh! that is a nice tune.'"

Fisher went on to tell the court he felt he had been given credit for the Procol Harum track "Repent Walpurgis" as a kind of compensation for not getting anything for 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale.'

"I was just a young musician who wanted to make music and I didn't really think of contracts."

• 1 month later...

The result:

Procol Harum Keyboardist Wins Composition Case

London's High Court ruled that Matthew Fisher composed the keyboard solo for "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

Former Procol Harum keyboardist Matthew Fisher has won his legal battle to prove he wrote the keyboard solo for the band's 1967 song "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

The British group's biggest hit, which has sold over 10 million copies, had always been credited to lead singer Gary Brooker and lyricist Keith Reid.

However, London's High Court Wednesday ruled Fisher composed the introductory keyboard solo.

The 60-year-old, who is now a computer programmer, is seeking $1.95 million in royalties for "A Whiter Shade Of Pale."

During the hearings, Brooker took the stand to defend his claim he was the sole musical writer of the song.

However, Fisher played a keyboard in the High Court to prove "the process of his composition" by breaking down the solo bar by bar.

Photo Copyright Getty Images