The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #39

OLD 55

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think Everybody's Talkin' is a good #1. Anyone who hasn't seen the classic movie "Midnight Cowboy" should grab a copy and you'll hear how well the song - and the rest of the music, which was scored by the great John Barry - fits in. Great nomination Laurie !

I'm also please to see In The Ghetto place so high. That song always brings tears to my eyes and I think it's one of Elvis' best. He had a good year in 1969 with Suspicious Minds later becoming his first U.S. #1 for over 7 years, which to me is simply unbelievable.

:)

Nevr mind Namahage. We'll have a 'wide open' Top Ten next one. :)

IMPORTANT: Kevin sowed the seed, Farin and I discussed it, and we've decided to DO AWAY with excluding songs that are in the Songfacts' Daily and Weekly Top tens, in future. It caused some confusion last time with Malakin's nomination of Tom Sawyer, which really should have been eligible. Go for it this time Andy if you'd like to.

Personally I wouldn't like to see Stairway To Heaven, Hotel California and Bohemian Rhapsody all nominated in the same Top Ten. I think each of those deserves a chance to reach #1 on one of our Tens. Farin reckons let 'em go head to head, but I think that would happen in our next "Ultimate Top Ten" anyway. Hopefully the Ten will still be going after #50 and Chris will be able to run another "Ultimate Top Ten".

ALSO: Thank you to all those people who go that bit extra and check the correctness of the Title and Artist before listing their Nominations.

I'm going to ask you all to please run your 2 nominations through Google to check for accuracy in future. That'll make it a lot easier on us; it's much easier to Google 2 than 50 or 60 !

More important announcements at the end of Top Ten #40. I hope we get a big roll up and lots of good nominations.

:headphones:

Darryl, please pardon me if I am slow on the take. I am away on short medical leave. I will look in on the threads now and then. I am working from an IT cafe where the software on the terminal PC is rather limited. The current month's graph could be late.

Yes, that´s it, Judo: you´d better get well... :cool:

Darryl, do you mean to Google nominations so we make sure they are well known? :P there is almost everything in Google and not all are famous nor known in all the countries we come from... :P Maybe you meant Youtube? Then, not even all the famous hits are in Youtube...

Darryl, do you mean to Google nominations so we make sure they are well known? :P there is almost everything in Google and not all are famous nor known in all the countries we come from... :P Maybe you meant Youtube? Then, not even all the famous hits are in Youtube...

What Darryl meant, was checking for the correct artist/title of the song. (e.g. the Scott McKenzie song isn't called "If you're going to San Francisco", but "San Francisco (Be sure to wear Flowers in your hair)" - just an example)

we always try to check them, but as Darryl said it's a great deal easier to check 2 songs with www.Google.com (or www.Wikipedia.org), than to check 60 of them...

I happen to have liked this weeks Top Ten. I got one of my noms in (no #1, but I didn't expect that, and who cares anyway?), and I love almost all the songs! I enjoy the Tens in which we exclude the former #1 winners. It gives us a much wider range.

For top ten 40 I just may have to go back to my roots (y'all know what those are!), and sorry youngers, but my roots go back further than the 90's! :)

Feel better Judo!

Edited by Guest

No, it was mine Shawna. :grin:

I reckon I'm the first kid on the block to have the new Beatles' remastered "Love" CD (a Gift from my Daughter). I've listened to it once - have to hear it a few more times. It's different ! I do like it better than the Anthologies, which never really cut it with me.

:)

Darryl, Edna and CeeCee,

thank you for your kind words.

Nothing major, just a visit to my ENT surgeon to investigate whether my partial hearing loss is due to upper respiratory complications or whether yours truly is really growing too old too fast :)

I'm sure all here on songfacts would agree what good would life be without a good pair of ears.

Just recapping before we start Top Ten #40 !!!

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #39 for the week ending 19th November 2006

1. Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson (1968)

2. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen (1975)

3. In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley (1969)

4. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue) - Neil Young (1979)

5. Eight Miles High - The Byrds (1966)

6. Ain't Nobody - Rufus & Chaka Khan (1983)

7. Take me Home, Country Roads - John Denver (1971)

8. Imaginary Lover - Atlanta Rhythm Section (1976)

9. Treat Her Like A Lady - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (1972)

10.Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond (1969)

:headphones: