Music and Your Personality

Carl

In an issue of <i>the journal of personality and social psychology</i>, they report links between what kind of music you like and what kind of person you are. Here are the results:

• Jazz - Reflective and Complex
  • Country - Upbeat and Conventional
  • Metal - Active and Rebellious
  • R&B - Energetic and Rhythmic
  • Celine Dion - Whiny and Annoying

For a quick personality check, music and hobbies are the best indicators.

Carl :D

Carl, I like most of that stuff (With the rigid exclusion of Celine Dion. Her voice is like chewing tinfoil to me). I guess this means my musical tastes are wide, or I am a schizophrenic. On another topic, you had posted earlier that you wondered if the Beatles would have the same impact if they debuted now instead of then. I'd like to include you in a raging debate currently going on at work. Were the 4 members of the Beatles still alive, would they have ever gotten together for a reunion tour? And when bands from the past get together for a reunion tour without one or two of the original members, is it still considered a reunion. Case in point. Were Zeppelin to 'reunite' utilizing John Bonham's son Jason on the skins, would it be a reunion?. I say no, but the point is argued at work. Pink Floyd continues to tour, without key member Roger Waters. I say it's not Pink Floyd, it is a hybrid. Others argue that Floyd quit being Floyd when Syd Barrett was popped out of the band. I say that Floyd's most viable work was done "post Barrett". Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall". I am interested in your opinion, and anyone else wanting to share an opinion.

Peace,

Ken.

If the 4 Beatles were still alive, I think they would have gotten back for at least one reunion by now. I still remember that clip of Howard Cosell asking Lennon if The Beatles would ever reunite, and Lennon answering "You never know." It is clear now that they had great respect for each other and may have found a way to put aside their differences.

As for reunions, I'm still amazed that groups insist on using original names even after losing key members. What do Robbie Kreiger and Ray Manzarek have to gain by touring and calling themselves The Doors? They may sell some more tickets, but they're losing lots more in lawsuits and damage to their legacy. Some cases are cut and dry - I don't think anyone is buying that Axl and friends is really Guns 'n' Roses - but others are tricky. Lynyrd Skynyd has only a few original members, but they get points for using the brother of their fallen lead singer as frontman. In my opinion, it is best to tour under a different name. Page and Plant are Page and Plant, not Led Zeppelin, and I respect them more for it. When a member gets martyred, the fans usually want the band to die as well. The remaining members of Blind Melon found this out when they tried to keep going without Shannon Hoon.

Carl

Sounds like we've started another thread within a thread here. I think the public is a little more forgiving when a band continues to use a name as long as the lead singer is still with the group. If they replace a drummer/guitarist then most people probably don't care too much. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been through a few guitarists and remained successful but if Anthony Keidis left, then that would be the end. I hate all these classic rock groups touring with different singers (i.e. Journey, Styx, etc). When there's a different voice, it just seems like some bad cover band.

I immediately think of Mike Love touring as The Beach Boys, when he won that lawsuit against Brian to use that name when, besides whatever was happening, Mike was still being the leader of the group, whereas Brian was still having his troubles...

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, classic rock's the best. Personally, I love listening to The Doors... live versions of their classic songs are just filled with so much energy...

Jose Feliciano just does not come close.

Me, I listen to everything whenever I can. I must just have lots of mood swings...

Ken, I totally agree with you. Journey without Steve Perry - not the same! Sting on his own though - excellent! I say YES to Phil Collins in Genesis and do not think they'd be nearly as successful with former frontman Peter Gabriel! ACDC w/out Bon Scott - yes, I love Brian Johnson in ACDC - they rocked on rather nicely despite the tragic deat of Bon! Think of this though: if Bon Scott was alive, how far woud ACDC have gone? Would they have disbanded?

Floyd - post-Barret - absolutely! Come on - there is NO comparison. Comfortably Numb and Hey You - oh, and Have a Cigar - Eclipse & Brain Damage. Need I say more?

The Beatles music, had we never heard it before...well, considering how much I love Beatles classics like The Walrus and While My Guitar Gently Sleeps, I'd love to say yes, they'd have the same impact, but truthfully?: it would be more like 30% yes, 70% no. Music today is so much faster paced than the Beatles were years ago, and it would be considered too "sleepy" nowadays.

Led Zep without John Bonham? Hybrib - or should I say "offspring" - but Jason IS his son - not a stranger. I'd consider it a passing of the torch!

Led Zeppelin, had they come out now, without a doubt, would have the same influence. They are a band with a sound that can be related to these days - and for many years to come. How many times have you heard someone say Zeppelin sucks? Not many! Even 15 & 16 year old children listen to LZ now! Their style is TIMELESS! LZ lyrics went over many people's heads, though. With all the educational opportunities available to the current generation, the Internet, and the fact that people arent nearly as stoned (LOL), the meanings would be better understood. The downside to that is that it might lift some of that mystique that LZ had.

Mike Love - WOW - could he harmonize. He MADE that classic Beach Boys sound!

Nono, he didn't. Wanna know who I think made the Beach Boys sound? Dennis. Reason being, listen normally, you can't hear his voice in the vocal blend. Listen through headphones you can just hear a middle pitched whine disguised as a note (to be fair, he makes it). Besides, he was not the classic Beach Boy. It's a well-worn fact, but he was the only Beach Boy who surfed (Brian, in his autobiography, himself claims that he could never get into it.)

But it was the Wilson Brothers, with their over-reactive father and their apprehensive mother, both of whom were heavily involved in music, who MADE the Beach Boys.

• 2 months later...

In an issue of the journal of personality and social psychology, they report links between what kind of music you like and what kind of person you are. Here are the results:

I ran into this post and it's interesting.

I have always been curious about my musical tastes because it seems to run the gamut...

I like: Classical "Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky" I like: Jazz "Herb Albert, Louis Armstrong, and Al Hirt" I like:

Big Bands "Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, and Glenn Miller" (Thanks Dad - your were my first big musical influence!) I Like: 50's b-bop and rock; "Dion and Belmonts, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly and Big Bopper"

I Like: Most 60 and 70's Rock - "too many to name" I Like: a lot of metal music, loud and rockin', "Van Halen, Great White, Sammy Hagar, White Lion, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Rush and Led Zeppelin" .

Therefore I am unable to interpret my musical taste, to quote Vinny Barbarino (famous sweathog) "I'm sooo confused"

If it's sound good I like it.. if it's sounds good cranked-up all the way to the threshold of the amplifier... I LOVE IT!!!

sidenote: I personally don?t believe the Beatles would ever have reunited.. I remember a people magazine cover in 1977 that read Bill Sargeant(ecentric millionaire) ?Peppers Beatles with 50 million dollars to reunite?" everyone was willing -except John.(50 million in 1977!!!!!) He was not interested for any money! It was never about money for John. It was about quality music and he felt the Beatles had run their course. I know we?ll never really know, just my opinion.

~ Mike

• 10 months later...

In an issue of the journal of personality and social psychology, they report links between what kind of music you like and what kind of person you are. Here are the results:

Hehe. If the music genre you like isn't listed, does it mean you have no personality? :beatnik: I like Metal and Jazz equally from this list... hmmm.

I don't find the descriptions to be accurate, out of the genres listed, I would pick Metal to be the most accurate, but I don't consider myself to be rebellious really, at least not anymore. Active, yes, I try to take on as many activities, events, & gatherings as possible, but nothing that I could relate to listening to Metal with. The descriptions for Jazz fit my mood more, as I feel reflective & complex most of the time. Maybe I should give Jazz a better listen. I?m not too familiar with the genre, but this would be the right forum to find out good suggestions.

I like anything across the board, as long as it is played and sung well and pricks up my ears. Well Celine may prick up my ears but not in a good way. I dislike musical snobs who hate country, or will only listen to metal, or would never listen to rap. There is something good to be found in all genres. I don't know what that says about me.

Nothing there for good old regular rock n roll? I think that's what most people here like. I listen to rock, pop, R&B, some dance stuff so what does that say? I'm confused? Where I live, there are three main radio stations, one classic rock, one Top 40 and one Adult Contemporary and I find myself switching amongst all three depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Right now, it's classic rock...

I like anything across the board, as long as it is played and sung well and pricks up my ears. Well Celine may prick up my ears but not in a good way. I dislike musical snobs who hate country, or will only listen to metal, or would never listen to rap. There is something good to be found in all genres. I don't know what that says about me.

I agree with you on all counts, Carole. My only question is this: where's the blues on this scale?