The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten # 38

OLD 55

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting The Beat - The Swingers Listen here

Were these previously known as "The Action Swingers" perchance? When I visited NZ in 1996 I heard The Action Swingers: the Kiwi Experience bus-driver played a tape of theirs...It was pretty good stuff. Thought they and The Swingers might be related?

I hoped to bring home some albums by good NZ indie/new-wave type bands, but couldn't find anything in the shops there. The Action Swingers was impossible to find. In the end I bought a fairly good compilation CD (apart from Garageland I can't remember off the top of my head the names of the artists featured: Shihad? Super-8??) Garageland are really good, mind you. I might listen to that album tonight, now that I think of it.

Tch...guess he must have been mistaken... :blush:

He did mutter alot and talk funny. Maybe he said "The SWINGERS..(mutter mutter) New Zealand new-wave group...(mutter quietly "not to be confused with the current art-rock band THE ACTION SWINGERS (....muttering again..."from New York")

I guess that might explain it.

So in the end OSTTOS's nomination is the band I heard on the bus in NZ then. Cool. I've never seen hide nor hair of them since that day ten years ago. :)

He did mutter alot and talk funny. Maybe he said "The SWINGERS..(mutter mutter) New Zealand new-wave group...(mutter quietly "not to be confused with the current art-rock band THE ACTION SWINGERS (....muttering again..."from New York")

I guess that might explain it.

:laughing: :bow: :laughing: :bow: :laughing:

that's gotta be it!

Well I absolutlely adore This Mortal Coil's rendition, and have done for over twenty years. I didn't hear Tim Buckley's version until much more recently, within the last couple of years. It isn't likely to supplant This Mortal Coil's version from the very special place it has in my heart. But all the same, Buckley's "Siren" remains a moving piece, and far, far better than most of the sickly sludge one hears oozing from the sensitive singer/songwriter sewage-pipe.

... better than most of the sickly sludge one hears oozing from the sensitive singer/songwriter sewage-pipe.

Hey, B-F. Have you considered that most writers ARE genuinely sensitive to the sewage pipe in which they reside? To term their visions "sickly sludge" is tatamount to an admission of a disability to interpret their attempts at enlightenment.

(according to Wikipedia) yes, it is! :)

Phil Phillips With The Twilights (I have the 45 RPM record). And it's a better version than the one a quarter century later by The Honeydrippers, but you probably would have gotten more votes Ron if you'd nomianted their version, because......Robert Plant did the vocals (burp).

(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock is of course the song which oficially marked the beginning of the ROCK ERA when it reached #1 on Billboard's Pop Charts on 9 July 1955, and the first 45 I ever owned.

:thumbsup:

10 Points for that from me RonJon, and Sea Of Love will be in there too. I haven't nominated it before, and a lot of other 50s Classics too, as I can't bear to see them "desecrated" by missing our Top Ten because many voters don't know them.

:P