The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten # 38

OLD 55

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what, using RonJon's formula, that does explain why we don't get 80s songs in our Top Tens. So it's the fault of people aged around 35 to early 40s!

:laughing:

I find that the problem for us "late 30s /early 40s" voters is that no matter what we nominate from the last 30 years, it comes nowhere....This is because we are greatly outnumbered by old farts in love with the 60s and 70s, ;)

You have to choose your market, b-f. I've noticed a few European nominations that have probably never Hit nor likely gained airplay in the U.S.!

;)

Songs from the late 50s (my teenage years) are really the ones I'm 'in love' with. I can't believe I nominated Johnny B.Goode eons ago and it placed nowhere, and then it made #1 when 15 year old Shadows nominated it much later.

:P

I might go with Tommy Lee and the Crue yet !

:drummer:

RonJon's theory makes alot of sense. Most of us probably regard the music we loved between the ages of 15-25 as the "golden age". Although this isn't true for everybody, it only needs to be true for a small majority to make a big difference to these charts...

Also, huge changes in the way music is disseminated, packaged and consumed by the music-loving public have affected how much different generations know about each other's music. It strikes me that the younger people are far more likely to be familiar with (and appreciate) the giants from yesteryear, than older people are likely to be up-to-date with an exciting crop of newer artists.

In the 60s the top rock & pop acts were highly commercial and visible phenomena, dominating the charts and music media such as they were at the time. Nowadays, even the most popular current "rock" acts do not necessarily feature in the charts; nor do they necessarily achieve worldwide recognition. Charts and media coverage have become so devalued (as a monitor of public opinion) that one has to look away from the mainstream to find music worth getting excited about. With the result that older voters in other parts of the world simply won't have heard of it, (whatever "it" is...)

Nobody's fault, just the way of the world...

Katie, your wish is my command. Top Ten #39 is now open for business. :)

Just to recap:

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #38 for the week ending 12th November 2006

1. Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group (1966)

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - The Beatles (1965)

3. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) - Pink Floyd (1979)

4. Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra (1975)

5. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John (1983)

6. Candle In The Wind - Elton John (1973)

7. Do It Again - Steely Dan (1972)

8. (We're gonna) Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and his Comets (1954)

9. Raspberry Beret - Prince (1985)

10.Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix (1967)