The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten # 38

OLD 55

How about the 80s ? Or the 50s ? We've never had a #1 from either of those eras!

:P

No, I suggested to Farin we have another "NO #1s" Top Ten next and he agreed. We know it takes out some of the 'minor players' who had surprise #1s in ourTop Ten, but the idea is to leave out the Super Artists/Groups occasionally.

:)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's pretty interesting actually - I just did a quick count:

up to date we had 38 Top Tens, that means 380 songs...

out of these 25 were 80's songs (ca. 7%) and 19 were 90's songs... (5%)

50's and 00's are even below that...

so around 320 out of 380 songs are either 60's or 70's (that's 85%)

--------------

but please don't take that as a criticism, a great deal of my favourite songs/artists are from the 60's or 70's :)

the only thing I want to do is campaigning for (not demanding or suchlike) songs of a decade that are sometimes terribly underrated, imho

and they should compete against songs of all other decades, so I wouldn't want to vote for a "90's only" or "80's +" Top Ten's (unless it's an idea for a "Special Top Ten" in that category everything's possible :))

mind you, this is just my personal opinion :)

--------------

but please don't take that as a criticism, a great deal of my favourite songs/artists are from the 60's or 70's :)

the only thing I want to do is campaigning for (not demanding or suchlike) songs of a decade that are sometimes terribly underrated, imho

and they should compete against songs of all other decades, so I wouldn't want to vote for a "90's only" or "80's +" Top Ten's (unless it's an idea for a "Special Top Ten" in that category everything's possible :))

As amply illustrated in the graphs/] ! :)

--------------

Farin, I am with you here.

--------------

I bet if you took the age of every voter and broke it down into teens, 20's, 30's 40's 50's60's and beyond.....you would see the average as somewhere in the high 40's to low 50's.

Most people, not all people, never change the musical tastes they developed as a kid and will always love, and subsequently vote for, songs they loved when they were 15. Try it...add 15 years to your birth year. Then give yourself a 5 year buffer on either side of that....that's your rock "hot spot".

Example: I was born in 1958. Add 15 years = 1973. Five years prior is 1968, five years post is 1978. Most of my favorite songs are from that era 1968-1978. ( I happen to love early British Invasion which i attribute to having a sister 6 years older than me and listening to her records non-stop, that's why there are some exceptions.)

Again, this isn't exact and it may not be 100% the same for everyone....but i bet it's close.

that's a pretty interesting little theory there, Ron. You've caused me to think about it, and now I have a headache. }:(

Although it's only been in the past couple of years that I have discovered some music that has become my most-listened to and favorite, I almost always vote for songs on this thread that I can associate childhood/teenage memories with, because it makes me smile.

That isn't to say, however, that if one were to nominate a Roger Clyne song it would go un-voted for. Quite the contrary. It would be #1, #2, #3... you get the idea. :grin:

That's fine, we'll all have exceptions. I just think if we look at the core block of music we really love, it will fall into that "zone".

We all know and love 100's if not 1000's of songs. It's great to make a discovery that you just didn't know about, or didn't exist during the core years. If it were possible to list every song you really love/like/appreciate, etc. , most would fall into that 10 year zone.

Wow, I've never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. That 10 year block holds up for me too. I've always felt the age thing figured in to the top ten voting.

Now you've given me something to think about. Shawna, please pass the tylenol..

--------------

That's pretty much been my life story. At this point, the songs I've loved most were from the 60s and 70s.

Just as at any point in my life a great new movie could move into my personal all time top ten or a piece of art just completed next week could supplant an old master as my favorite; if I heard a great song just released tomorrow, it could become one of my favorites.

Could the fact simply be that the 15 years of 1964 - 1979 were rock's legitimacy years when it moved from obstensibly a faddish pastime for youth, into an acknowledged artform. Rock's thoroughfare, during that period, was paved not only by new experiments in musical technology, but by its proponents ability to correctly define and interpret the emotions of its audience. I don't think the same could be said for as large a percentage of today's music, though the artform most certainly continues to evolve and flourish. Someone born tomorrow, were they so inclined to do the research at some point in the future, very well might come to the same conclusions that our intimate "experiment" is revealing to us.

During last night's radio interview, the DJ and our very own Carl were discussing the fact that today's music is so much more diverse - there are so many more genres than there were back in the 60s and 70s - that generations of people don't go home and listen to the same stuff as each other on the radio anymore, like we did when I was a kid. It's appeared to have created a mild crevasse between age groups.

And before you all say, "Oh, that existed years ago, too," I agree, it did. But not (at least not in my world) to the degree it does today.

It was an interesting interview. One that will be transcribed and made available for all yous kids when I get the CD from the DJ. :)

Mmm ! I was 15 when the 'Rock Era' started in 1955. Whilst I like many songs from 5 years before that, I'd be much more inclined to vote for 60s songs, because I believe that was the Decade that had everything musically (except Rap, Thank The Powers That Be).

But we've always had music in our house/s, whether on the radio or on a turntable (or tape recorder when they made them available commercially). I wonder how many hours I spent unravelling tapes ?

I used to watch the "Countdown" Top Ten and then the "Rage" Top 50 with my kids right up to the end of the 80s. So I'd say I have a "hot spot" of 40 years, but I was always precocious and have never really grown up.

Also I'd call what I like Pop music - I really don't know how to define 'Rock'. Bill Haley, Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry - they rocked for me. There you are, I just named a heap of old 50s rockers. RonJon is right.

But I also like Groups such as GNR, Van Halen, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue; I like to play "Kickstart My Heart" with the volume right up, but my Wife and Children make me turn it down - just like my Mother did with Bill Haley 50 years ago.

P.S. Please don't try to define ROCK for me. Maybe it would make a good new Thread if one like it doesn't already exist.

:)