Saddam sentenced to hang (i know it's not music related but still..)

Blue Fish

A conflict of interest is a good point when talking about a single victimized family. It's a little different when considering the hundreds of thousands of people directly affected by things this man is responsible for.

The same thing with the "quick death" idea. Why should someone who, again, is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths meet the same fate as someone who is just responsible for one? Not to lessen the grief felt by that single person's family, but this is a different sort of scenario.

That being said, you can only execute a person once, but I don't fault anybody at all for feeling that it is a "light" punishment. Death (by any means) is never a good thing, but this a bit of an extreme case.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Saddam should be Mussolini-ed.

Give him to the people.

Call it football. Call it soccer.

Call it justice.

If he survives, set him free.

Let's let the Kurds have him first.

I can think of several people throughout history for whom death is a fitting sentence. Whether it's too easy an end may be better determined by those who were directly victimized by the bastards.

Yes, life is precious. Yet death is inevitable.

Why not hasten it for those so richly deserving (pending fair trial, appeal options,etc.) ?

It shouldn't be anything to do with us - he's Iraq's prisoner, not the West's....

I agree that he should receive the stiffest punishment available to the people who have convicted him. The question of whether the death penalty should be used is not for us to decide though - whether we agree with it or not.

From the point of view of punishment, would it be worse from his point of view to be hanged following a brief period of 'reflection', or to be imprisoned to spend the remainder of his 'natural contemplating the error of his ways with Big Abdul and his tub of butter for company?

Whichever, from the point of view of everybody I agree that it would've been better if he had died a casualty in the invasion... Not at the hands of a foreigner however but at those of a Kurd....

Farin, i think you took my "not convinced he's all human" comment to seriously, of course he's human and as a fellow human being i would say that killing is wrong. How ever, as an Ethical situationalist, i would say that maybe in this situation it is the only thing to do. It would show love to more people as well...

I don't think Saddam should be tortured or anything like that....it wouldn't do any good, and it would only make him more of a martyr to his followers. What I meant by making him feel the suffering he has caused was my wishful thinking for some kind of pill or device that would give people like him a conscience so that they could feel guilt, and hopefully guilt so severe it would be torturous for them live with.

Whatever justice the Iraqi people see fit to impose, that is what should be done. Hopefully, it will help the Iraqis move forward and work together to set up the government that they want.

He's convinced that he's done nothing wrong.

Precisely. Which is why he should be paid back where it hurts him - wherever that may be. And perhaps it is in contemplating his own demise, preferrably in the same fashion in which he executed his victims' demises, even if it were only the idea of it. Proverbial eye for an eye with this one, I say.

I actully feel really bad that Hitler shot himself, I also wish a was a germen doctor at that time so i could have helped him (not to shoot himself, i wouldn't help him shoot himself thats silly!). I feel a strange sympathy for him, not for what he did for the was unacceptible, but for the fact that his soul was lost. The same for Saddam, I feel sorry that his soul is lost and I would rather help him to heal his soul then kill him. You may not agree but still, thats my opinion in the best way that i can discribe it.

I actully feel really bad that Hitler shot himself, I also wish a was a germen doctor at that time so i could have helped him (not to shoot himself, i wouldn't help him shoot himself thats silly!). I feel a strange sympathy for him, not for what he did for the was unacceptible, but for the fact that his soul was lost. The same for Saddam, I feel sorry that his soul is lost and I would rather help him to heal his soul then kill him. You may not agree but still, thats my opinion in the best way that i can discribe it.

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Tell me you were joking, bluefish...

:P

okay there are several things that I don't bother to argue about, but this one:

is just too much... :stars: :thumbsdown:

did you watch by any chance Downfall??

highly recommended!

but if he didn't have a beautiful mind how could he appreciate such beautiful things as music and painting in such high amounts of happyness? and his dream of a pure Germany, yes he took it OTT to a huge amount but it was still the hunger in his heart to hold onto something he loved, he was willing to do anything to "keep his beloved germany german". i would have liked to be able to help him to be construtive in this love for Germany while he was young, then he could have done beautiful things...

now come on thats not fair! I said it was a strange sympathy for them and I can't help feeling sympathy! Plus my Psychotherapist said it was good to feel emotion! :laugh:

Bloof, either you're terribly naive, horribly uninformed or (I don't want to write that out)

why would you feel sympathy for such a ... man...

hatred is an emotion too :stars:

but if he didn't have a beautiful mind how could he appreciate such beautiful things as music and painting in such high amounts of happyness? and his dream of a pure Germany, yes he took it OTT to a huge amount but it was still the hunger in his heart to hold onto something he loved, he was willing to do anything to "keep his beloved germany german". i would have liked to be able to help him to be construtive in this love for Germany while he was young, then he could have done beautiful things...

I'm speechless... really I am!

do you even realize what you're saying here?

You know, i think this is one big ball of misunderstandings, not helped at all by me missing out words(by accident) and my diffuculty in expressing myself.I'm not sick, I think what Hitler did was one of the most dreadful things to have ever happened to this world I never said i liked what he did, in fact I explicitly siad i DIDN'T like what he did so you wouldn't get the wrong end of the stick. It's hard to explain this type of thing on a website, i thought i could do it but i can't. Lets just leave it, i didn't mean any offence or hurt by it. I'm really sorry if my comments hurt anyone, it was never my intention. Please don't think i'm sick, i'm really not i promise!