The Phantom of The Opera

Blue Fish

i don't understand why people knock it so much, it has so meny great and memorible songs in it that tug at the heart strings. It actully is a desent re-make. Yes the old version is very good, but the times are a changing and in my opinion the music is so much better, the plot is fuller and improved yet it still sticks with the original intended impact on the audience. 'Tis good no?

My girlfriend had to literally drag me to the cinema to see it, but actually it wasn't that bad. I still prefer the musical, but they did turn it into quite a good film.

The film is a musical.

I loved this movie. The score and the costumes were top notch. If there is one complaint I still have to this day is the sword battle between Raoul and Erik at the cemetary. There is no way - according to Leroux's story - Erik would lose to Raoul. He had superhuman strength and could've killed Raoul any time he wanted, either in a sword battle or through any one of his tricks.

When you said you preferred the musical, immediately I thought you had seen some other Phantom Of The Opera since there are many film versions out there that are not musicals. Of course, there is a difference between the live performance and the cinematic one. It's two different mediums of telling the musical.

No, I was talking about the remake musical film. Guess I didn't make myself clear, sorry about that.

I haven't seen the stage version yet. I did see the film. After hearing how some of my friends like to go and see it over and over again, I just didn't get that. I couldn't even sit through the whole thing. First thing that killed me was Emmy Rossum's voice. It is so high pitched that I had to practically cover my ears every time she opened her mouth. Second thing I felt is that the Phantom is so not a sympathetic character. At least not how he is portrayed in the film. He kills people for no reason and toys with them like cat-and-mouse.

I just didn't get it. But then, I don't get a lot of things. :puppyeyes:

but Shawna, thats the point. The phantom is a social reclusive, he hasn't developed the social skills need in life. He fell in love with a beautiful lady who rejects him for no real reason, only the fact that his face is deformed. He's obsessed with her and needs her to show him that hes not a monster. He becomes wild with rage and doesn't know that killing is wrong, so vents his anger through toying with people people (who he feels has wronged him) and kills because he feels that he is helping her to be noticeed in the thing she loves, OPERA singing. Hence the high pitched voice OPERA!

Ive memorized almost every song in this musical/opera. I love it! Its one of the best written, wonderfully directed Musical of all time. Its what other people compare there musicals to!

I dont knock it...but i get knocked for liking it. Bunch of rednecks down here think men gotta be meat and potatoes eating, alan jackson singing dirt diggin sons of blah blah. So, its hard to like musical theatre in the south! But, i love it! Its awesome! I want the chance to do it one day, and if i get professional enough id like to play the Phantom. It would be awesome!