Things that make you go "aww, isn't that sweet!"

Blue Fish

Text looks way more offensive than it actually is. I'm sure Ms. Bluey wrote that with no intended rude tone.

You people only have yourself to blame for misinterpreting this poor girl's post! Apologize! :P

This is true, but it's my fault for not realiseing the misinterprications that could arise from it. No need for anyone to apolgise...

Um...yeah...way to stay on track! ;) Anywho...on Halloween my brother, my friend(who was in a Superman costume), and I went trick-or-treating for a kid who had surgery and couldn't go. He ended up with more candy than either of his brothers...which is nice because they were bragging about how they got more candy than him. I just thought it was nice...but everyone else had the "Aww, isn't that sweet!" reaction...

• 2 weeks later...

The following pictures are from a chapter of what my wife (Diana) and I have been experiencing over the past 5 months.

Diana found a nearly dead dog (I figured within 48 hours of death by starvation) and her 5 puppies, by the side of the road. Diana named her Lady for Sinatra's "The Lady Is A Tramp."

Though a wild-eyed street dog, Lady was too weak to resist being loaded into Diana's car. She weakly opened and closed her mouth in an attempt to bark, but no sound came out. Down to fur and bones, her milk glands were empty, flat and the (I guessed) 10 day old puppies were struggling to live.

I started feeding Lady - just a pup herself, I figured she was impregnated during her first cycle - beef hearts to give her strength. Though feral, she bonded with me through this act of feeding and has stayed by my side since. She and the pups were spattered with hardened wood glue that I figured someone threw on them in an attempt to shoo them from their trash bin. Street dogs are savaged by people here.

This shot was taken the day after we started to feed her. She was scared, but too weak to resist being brought into my photography studio. Lady instinctively tried to shield her pups while I shot without flash in low light. She has always been a great little mother to her pups. Just great!

MothersLovePP.jpg

We named the puppies Goliath (the biggest), Jack and Jill (the two B&W spotted ones), Oprah (all black) and Sadie, the runt. This is Jack that first day in the studio.

littleJack.jpg

Jill developed a respiratory problem and despite the efforts of our vet, died after only three weeks with us. The little family seemed to grieve for her. They were all so good to one another.

After two months, we placed two of the pups in adoptive homes and are still looking for homes for Sadie and Lady.

We will keep Jack, he of vinegar and high energy! I call him Jumping Jack, because that is what he loves to do, on just his hind legs. He and I will sometimes just jump together for 5 or 6 minutes, while Lady and Sadie watch in wonder at the foolishness of it all.

Here is a shot of Sadie and Jack today. And then Diana and I with the three dogs still living with us.

JackeSadie2.jpg

Pups5months.jpg

It would have been easy for me to drive past a dying street dog. But Diana's mercy has taught me the tremendous rewards of caring for and loving the unwanted.