The Allman Brothers Band

I searched to see if there was a thread for this awesome southern rock group, and didn't find one. I think they need one. I love The Allman Brothers! They have a great sound and some outstanding guitar work thoughout theie career. I know quite a few artists have worked with them, including Derek Trucks, and that Duanne Allman worked with Eric Clapton in Derek and The Dominos and the two were close friends. I have a few of their albums and regret I have never seen them in concert.

A few of my favorite songs...

Statesboro Blues

Whipping Post

Revival

Jessica

Ain't Wastin' Time No More

Blue Sky

Amen, Jane!! The Allman Brothers Band were great and, IMO, they were the pioneers of Southern Rock. It's a pity that Duane Allman did not live longer. He was a tremendously talented slide guitarist at a young age and it would have been interesting to see how his playing would have evolved as he got older.

Some of my favourite Allman Brothers tunes are Statesboro Blues, Melissa, Whipping Post, Midnight Rider, Ramblin' Man, Southbound and Hoochie Coochie Man.

Great idea for a tribute, April!

They were such an important as well as talented group, for sure. They opened the door for Black Oak Arkansas, Lynyrd Skynyrd and in a less raw vein, The Eagles.

My 2 greatest favorites:

Midnight Rider with its haunting guitar refrain and plaintive harmonies matching perfectly the story in lyric.

One Way Out my favorite interpretation of an Elmore James song by any group (and he's been covered by the best.)

Love the Allman Brithers. Their Live At The Fillmore is outstanding. It had the original lineup with Duane Allman and bassist Berry Oakley who both eerily died young in similar motorcycle accidents. Also like The Eat A Peach Album. After that drugs and booze pretty much destroyed the band and their music. I saw the new band a couple years ago and they are still great live.

Every year The Allman's play the entire month of March in New York City's Beacon Theater. It has become a tradition and it always sells out every show. Greg Allman has a great voice and the Allman's have always laid down some serious guitar work.

Their biggest conmmercial success is probably "Ramblin' Man" which was a throw-away song that wasn't even supposed to be on the album. Somebody is happy they changed their mind.

One of my favorite Greg Allman anecdotes is about when they first started making money. Like many musicians (especially southern rockers it seems) they were dirt poor. When the first album hit it big, a check for $50,000 showed up at Greg's door. He was in a panic, he thought it was a mistake and he wanted to keep the money, but he didn't know what to do. So he held on to the check, but didn't tell anybody. A few days later, a second check for $50,000 showed up and now he was beside himself. He had to tell somebody, so he call his manager and told him "I got these two checks by mistake....." His manager said, "Greg, it isn't a mistake, that's your money. You're going to be getting those checks every week".

Nice, huh?

While we're talking about it how about a mention for the genius of producer Tom Dowd who was able to capture the sound and spirit of the ABB on all those great recordings. He was to the Allmans what George Martin was to the Beatles.

Edited by Guest

The Allman Brothers Band is one of my favorite bands. In my opinion they are the greatest example of southern rock.

A few of my favorite songs are:

It's Not My Cross To Bear

Dreams

Whipping Post

Revival

Midnight Rider

Statesboro Blues

Melissa

Blue Sky

Jessica

Pure "Genius"!